Boring Tyre Thread

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Bangernomics

Re: Boring Tyre Thread

Post by Bangernomics »

Nitrogen is used because it is relatively inert and is 78% of the air we breathe so cheap.

It’s more about the fill being dry too so the expansion is less than with say a few mm of water boiling off and expanding in your tyre as it heats up.

Also it’s a good way of making more cash.

Less annoying tag line.
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Exactly that. Nitrogen in a bottle contains no water.

Air pumped into a pressure vessel contains whatever is in the atmosphere, often including a lot of moisture.

That'll condense, the talc in the tire will absorb it then that forms balls which pick up more of the inside of the tire in bad cases and upset the balance of the wheel.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I put my xj8 in to costco to get the wheel balancing done. They did it while I did my shopping inside. I went to pick it up but they said they couldn't get one of the wheels 100% as it was slightly buckled. They didn't charge me but the car drove perfect afterwards anyway with no more wobble or shake.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Nitrogen is lighter than air so the unsprung weight on each corner will be less therefore the handling will be loads better.
I reckon.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

paulplom wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:57 pm Nitrogen is lighter than air so the unsprung weight on each corner will be less therefore the handling will be loads better.
I reckon.
Fill them with hydrogen.

Then come back 3 days later and find your tires are flat because it's all leaked out, being tiny molecules that can get through things like rubber.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Keep them away from static electricity.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

LynehamHerc wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:05 am A quick look at Google seems to say that the pressure loss is less as Nitrogen molecules are bigger than Oxygen ones. Given that there's only 20% or so Oxygen in the air and 80% Nitrogen I would think the effect of pure Nitrogen would be marginal.
When your alloy rims are on a 23 year old Rover, every little helps, as they say.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

The number of expensive cars that are running on cheap Chinese rubber is astonishing. A mate works for a BMW main dealer and you get 18 plate cars on 'budget' rubber - a 'full house' is a different budget brand on each corner. The sad thing is, you only have to pay a tenner a corner more to have Toyo or Kumho....if you are paying £300 for four new tyres, would another £100 to have Avons really break the bank?
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

AutoshiteBoy wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:37 pm Despite having a few trade accounts for tyres, I've decided to give Costco tyres a whirl on the basis that they nitrogen fill the hoops. For the 600 I've ordered a pair of 195/65R15 Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2. They're only H-rated, I'd have preferred V-rated, but H is legal. Be warned, Costco won't fit tyres with a speed limit below what a vehicle left the factory with. So far, Costco tyre selection seems poor. They insist on putting the new tyres on the rear as part of the fitting, but these are on the rear anyway. I'm paying £94.78 fitted. Another thing is I ordered these first thing Monday morning, but the only fitting day was Friday. Not sure what time, do you just rock-up or do they contact you? I could go on, but its boring enough.
That's the same size my Ioniq needs.

As anyone who's seen my thread on the beige about employing a mechanic will already know, I have an interest in a tyre, exhaust and servicing establishment. As you can imagine, I get my rubber from there. I fit Nexen tyres as they are well rated and super quiet which is important to me as my car spends a fair amount of time running in silent EV mode.

I'm not going to say what I pay for my treads as although I get them at cost price I'm expected to remove my wheels, put them on the machine, swap old tyres for new, balance and refit wheels to the car. Obviously, this is something you wouldn't be allowed to do at Costco!

If I was a retail punter a fair price to pay for the excellent Nexen rubber would be about £57 a corner including valve, balancing and disposal of your old tyre. If it was an allegedly higher quality premium brand then we'd sting you maybe £75-80 a corner.

Nitrogen is a waste of time! 80% of what you breathe is nitrogen!
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Sri05

Post by Sri05 »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:59 pm The number of expensive cars that are running on cheap Chinese rubber is astonishing. A mate works for a BMW main dealer and you get 18 plate cars on 'budget' rubber - a 'full house' is a different budget brand on each corner. The sad thing is, you only have to pay a tenner a corner more to have Toyo or Kumho....if you are paying £300 for four new tyres, would another £100 to have Avons really break the bank?
Good tyres are so worth it as well. I fit a set of Bridgeston Turanza's onto my Saab last year and it totally transformed how the car felt to drive, I bought it with mismatched triangles, happygallop etc. I remember driving from Inverness to Glasgow last summer during a monsoon style rainstorm, tons of surface water everywhere and it felt totally gripped to the road.

I bought another one last month with two front tyres that are pretty badly worn so I'll be buying them again