The Shagpile is on Order Dance Boogie Wondervan!

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
8BAK465

Re: The Shagpile is on Order Dance Boogie Wondervan!

Post by 8BAK465 »

LynehamHerc wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:17 pm This is probably bollocks, as you know my mechanical knowledge could be written on a postage stamp, but it reminds me a lot of when the ball joints were replaced on my T2.
It was scary and had a mind of its own. I was told that it'd take a few hundred miles for them to bed in or whatever and after that time it was like a completely different vehicle. Is there something about a steering box that exacerbates this effect?

We probably need a stupid comments thread for some of my posts.
It beding in might improve things but I have had so much response from others who have similar period commercial vehicles that say they were like that from new. There's much love for them on this side of the pond so if my mate doesn't want it I should sell no bother as there are serial owners who have had several of them. Its just not for me.
Apart from this I have only ever had one other vehicle with a steering box a Mercedes had a few of them but their steering boxes where far more refined with no slop in them to talk about.
That was the point where I thought its not for me but besides I started to look at how far I've come and at the same time how far there is still to go and i don't want to do it,its up to the new owner to carry it on how they want it?
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Boxes can be vague - the Farina had some dead spots; I've never enjoyed driving a T2 to be honest - except for one almost brand new, automatic camper that I had to deliver down the docks once. That was spot on so I assume wear must have played a part in my lack of enjoyment of the other ones. They were all correctly suspended and tyred, too.

As far as the power assistance vs. vagueness aspect yes that can be off-putting but I've driven plenty of shocking condition Yanks and old 50s British stuff - nothing was as reluctant to steer a constant course than that rented Tradesman, not even an absolutely pigged-out Sherpa minibus my mate had. You needed to constantly head for the kerb in that just to stop it crossing the centre white lines but at least it was predicatable. And consistent.....

The only other vehicle that has scared me with steering was Mrs Rocker's old Micra, the understeer on that was criminal. OK in a straight line though.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

8BAK465 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:29 pm
LynehamHerc wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:17 pm This is probably bollocks, as you know my mechanical knowledge could be written on a postage stamp, but it reminds me a lot of when the ball joints were replaced on my T2.
It was scary and had a mind of its own. I was told that it'd take a few hundred miles for them to bed in or whatever and after that time it was like a completely different vehicle. Is there something about a steering box that exacerbates this effect?

We probably need a stupid comments thread for some of my posts.
It beding in might improve things but I have had so much response from others who have similar period commercial vehicles that say they were like that from new. There's much love for them on this side of the pond so if my mate doesn't want it I should sell no bother as there are serial owners who have had several of them. Its just not for me.
Apart from this I have only ever had one other vehicle with a steering box a Mercedes had a few of them but their steering boxes where far more refined with no slop in them to talk about.
That was the point where I thought its not for me but besides I started to look at how far I've come and at the same time how far there is still to go and i don't want to do it,its up to the new owner to carry it on how they want it?
Your last sentence makes complete sense - better to sell a dream than a reality that has soaked up more of your spirit!
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

8BAK465 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 12:02 pm
Broccoli wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:15 pm What do you have your eye on to replace it with?
cant say what's next yet where would the fun be in that?
Ive decided I am being a meanie and you all deserve a Clue ;)

It will be this colour :roll:

If I am not lucky enough to procure such a fine example in said colour it will become said colour against its will ;)

And said Voiture may or may not be the same manufacture as the coat of paint i would like it to wear ;)

Old School Celly you understand non of this lifeless two stage nonsense good old high solids celulose that lives in harmony with a dependable tin of t cut :mrgreen:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Asimo

Post by Asimo »

A lot of vehicles with solid front axles and leaf springs feel weird to steer. I think this is because the steering box is acting against an axle that moves about on it’s springs, the effect of which is that the steering never rests, there is always some correction to do at the wheel. Add in the over-servoed pas and the over-the-axle driver and it’s going to be a handful of wander and wait. Quite likely it is on radial tyres now rather than the primitive crossplies it was designed for, also possible that it acquired pas at some stage without the correct-for-pas steering wheel, king-pin angle etc.

Such steering systems can be made to work well enough, but it ain’t ever going to be a Lotus…

Been a fun thread though!
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

If the radial tyres were commercial, being stiffer as far as I understand it, also exacerbate this?
dean36014

Post by dean36014 »

So are there any pictures to show the progress you did make on the van?
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

Bad news about the van Jo but great news you have a plan. and that you are posting here again 👍

I get folk contact me about the series land rover they just paid huge money for on ebay. "it drives like a cat on wet lino"

err yes, they do that. There is a reason they are balls out at 55mph.
"The Dark Wob. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Thanks Guys yes I have some pics I will update this thread before it goes on to pastures new just a lot going on in my life right now so need to clear things first but plenty of pics I already have ;)

I have a habit of buying vehicles that are on the brink of falling into the wrong hands and saving them and pointing them in the right direction :roll:

My last Merc was literally bought from under the noses of the air bags and stretch tyre slammers brigade :shock:

So I think in essence I saved this Van and gave it the right start ;)

As previously said the guy who had it over in the states was the second owner and had owned it continuously from 1986-2020 it was registered as a service van for Associated Finishing Services out of Freshno California supplied by Stewart Dodge and was a "House of Stewart" custom street van package which makes no sense whatsoever?

AFS installed automotive spray booths so cant understand why they ordered a street van? Unless it was an area reps van or for taking to trade shows to display there wares?

Most of the original fittings were missing by 2021 but the front seats,moon roof,seatbelts and wheels were all original to a house of stewart package all being supplied to Stewart Dodge under contract from Superior Products of Van Nuys ;)

Second owner was a carpet fitter he stripped out most of the stuff and added his own carpet that stank of skunk piss by 2021 when i got it :? He ran it until 2012 then replaced it with an 80s Dodge Ram van as apart from front and rear end treatment design they are identical and for 9 years just kept taking parts off the Tradesman :roll:

So when I got it it had no wiper switch,sun visors,dome lights,rear view mirror,washer pump or bottle,no horn and had been in a fender bender (not sure if that's what took it off the road?

He locked the keys inside it and the passengers quarter light was smashed to get them out in 2020 his reasoning a new quarter light would only cost $20 :lol:
Not in the UK they don't!

It had radials when it got here but thin tall truck style radials it now wears 235 60 15 i think it had 225 75 15 so its lower and more sure-footed now ;)

Yeh the steering the PAS doesn't help,its lovely to park horrible to drive :shock:

The steering tiller is HUGE!!!
which on manual steering was probably need but on PAS is an overkill!

If id of kept it a new wheel would of been on the books!

I think the huge pitman arm and link arms don't help the vagueness in cars with boxes the box tend to be more closely linked to the steering in this its well lets put it this way has to hold discussions with many other unnecessary departments before the steering is informed on what it should be doing :roll:

But whatever now its all irrelevant it drives as it does,my mate is used to that and has shown an interest and many others like them so if my mate doesn't want it I am sure it will sell.

Above all its had all the basic parts it needs now and its registered in the UK so its a good base for somebody so time to move on to the next which will be a car I have had it with vans for the moment :lol:

Ill do some last fettling to keep me occupied and take some pics and upload the final updates then move it on :arrow:

Its kept me occupied if nothing else in a differcult time.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Not much to show really the big Dodge was cleaned up best I could and has gone on to live a new and happy life in Aberdeen ;)

Broke even made nothing lost nothing apart from 18 months of my life :lol:

These are the final pics

So a new better grille and Mitsubishi indicators were fitted to the refurbed grill after a,HOW BLOODY MUCH type scenario occurred after inquiring how much replacement mopar Items were :shock:

Paint was polished up a bit :)

The interior was generally cleaned,disinfected,the blue inner bits painted black to match,seats cleaned etc

And loaded up with additional; spares I had not yet fitted/gave up the will to live/couldn't be arsed fitting delete as appropriate

It was then loaded up and went North

THE END