Are you still a car enthusiast?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Re: Are you still a car enthusiast?

Post by Drum »

I probably prefer working on them to driving them, maybe just because it's a complete change from my day job. I don't mind driving but then there's no congestion up here.

Getting frustrated at the number of projects I have slowly deteriorating. Must get rid of some soon.
One old land rover and one old car would do me.
Danthecapriman

Post by Danthecapriman »

I suppose I am still a car enthusiast, but only on my terms.

I love classics, most stuff up to the end of the 80’s, some 90’s cars (but not many!) but after that I’m just not interested at all. They’re about as interesting to me as a refrigerator or something!
Car shows? Nope, I can’t be fucking arsed and they tend to be populated by sinfully boring rivet counter types who are only interested in talking utter bollocks or putting anything that’s not theirs down.

I really enjoy working on cars, now it’s not my job. Because that means I can pick and choose what I do and when. I only work on old stuff not modern crap, I don’t work on cars when it’s cold or pissing with rain. Thus, I actually enjoy it! Even chopping out rusty metal and welding is something I enjoy.

Driving. Tough one. My last job I was on the road an awful lot driving big vans & towing every day. I suppose I did enjoy driving, but there were times and places (rush hour - urban areas & motorways) where I used to get really really fucking pissed off! There’s nothing quite like being stuck in traffic on the motorway when it’s absolutely pissing down at 6AM and dark still to make you wonder what the fuck you did wrong in life to be in that position along with all the other idiots around you!
But, in the right vehicle, at the right time, in the right place driving is still great fun. There’s few things I enjoy more in life than driving the Mercury or Capri down some lovely quiet country roads in the heat of summer.

So, yeah, on my own terms I’m still a car enthusiast!
88 Volvo 740 2.3GLE
74 Ford Capri 1.6L
73 Mercury Marquis Brougham 7.0 V8
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

I've been into cars since I was old enough to know what they are.
Walking to the shops with my mum got things in flight with me liking old chod. Before she passed her test we walked through streets with lots of driveways to get to the town and my mum had to come up with an answer for each, especially it if had a flat tyre or looked abandoned. Everything from a Simca 1100, Hillman Imp or a Commer PB.

I'm in a good place with cars right now. I have enough money and space to own and run 4. They're all MOTd and in good working order. I don't rely on them all working though so failures aren't stressful and I enjoy tinkering. I usually only change cars when something jumps out at me. I am only interested in relatable or unloved cars. No current stuff, supercars or STs.

I never spend more than £1500 to buy one and stopped getting attached to them which means it's easy to move one on.

Where I live is fairly rural so once I'm out of my estate and away from the incredibly aggressive drivers it's generally fine.

Time is short though. I'm either working or spending time with my family, although my son has grown out of the skateparks which took up all our weekend. As such I have had a bit of my life back to work on cars for a few hours at the weekends which is nice.

My only issue is other people who are into cars. Decent sorts are few and far between I'm afraid.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

I still sort of like working on cars but it has to be zero pressure where I can walk away from it.

I’ve regained my mojo for car shows. After lockdown it’s a pleasant way to waste a day.

I enjoyed saving this:
Attachments
IMG_0220.PNG
IMG_0220.PNG (1.8 MiB) Viewed 313 times
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

I'd still like one of these:
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600.jpg (321.01 KiB) Viewed 312 times
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

.....and this just caught my eye at a show last summer. I buy cars on impulse having seen them. I'd smoke a 1500 Avenger GL Auto.

Intriguged, I learned that the Avenger was the first British car to have a plastic radiator, a viscous coupled fan and brushed nylon trim.

And, wait for it, a four speed automatic gearbox, the Borg Warner BW45.
Attachments
IMG_9163.jpeg
IMG_9163.jpeg (853.27 KiB) Viewed 310 times
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

Ahem, I remember the Avenger coming out. Our next door neighbour had one. Another innovation was the column mounted knob for the lights -
s-l1600 (2).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg (210.75 KiB) Viewed 299 times
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

On topic - I fucking love cars, me I do.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:57 pm And, wait for it, a four speed automatic gearbox, the Borg Warner BW45.
What's the deal with one of those? Curious.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Built in a new factory in Wales. I think they arrived in 72-3 when the Avenger 1250/1500 became 1300/1600.

The Avenger won the BTCC three times.

They were built in Brazil until 2000 or something mental iirc.