Fleet Occurrences

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Re: Fleet Occurrences

Post by paulplom »

That's a fair price. Keep me in mind and if the stars align, I'll have it.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

I changed the coolant on my black 9-3 today.

The change itself went smoothly however for some reason there is no longer any circulation in the cooling system at all. There is no life at the header tank and the radiator hoses are stone cold.

At first I thought the thermostat might be stuck shut however it is located at the back right of the engine and the top hose is hot at the cylinder head end but cold at the radiator.

My suspicion is that the water pump has sheared its impeller. I don't think its slipped of the chain as that also runs the balancer shaft and would be rattling around.

Unfortunately replacement is very involved as a special tool is needed to get the pulley off the chain. Plus it's buried down the back of the engine. £££s

I'm probably just going to give my wife my 93, cartakeback have offered £379 for this one. I had been thinking of slimming down the fleet but the red 93 was originally going to be the candidate.

I gave up with it this afternoon and chose between just ragging fuck out of it and blowing it up (I did that with my old Corsa engine as I knew I was putting a new one in) or letting my local garage give a 100% diagnosis. As my wife was watching and she likes this car I turned it off and chose the sensible option .

I may get something small and economical for the winter if I see something suitable.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Or you've got a big air lock around the water pump area.
Tried jacking the front right up?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Also Saabnut would probably buy it off you for more than cartakeback.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

After he called me a negative twat when I was trying to stop people encouraging LBF on his Invacar thread I would not give him the time of day I'm afraid. I'm sure he's a good sort really.

Jacking it up is an idea, cheers, I could also try going up and down my street as there are big speed tables, shake the airlock free.

Its a bit annoying that I have tried to perform conscientious maintenance on it not to mention that I have had it welded recently and it's being so ungrateful 😅
Marvelous

Post by Marvelous »

Last edited by Marvelous on Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Aye I think so.

I'm reet narked off with both Saabs as the red one is currently squatting in my garage where the Cavalier should be. I'm waiting on a vacuum pump seal which is currently stuck in the post.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

As Nyphur says walk away for a while so that you can think things through clearly.
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

If Royal Mail are holding you back by being on strike, I have a suggestion that involves the number 11

11 envelopes, 11 Argos catalogues, zero stamps

https://www.royalmailgroup.com/en/about ... oup-board/
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

As is customary for me when a car is peeing me off, I go for a make or break drive (ie destruction test).

On my lunchbreak I went over the speedhumps in my street briskly and then booted it's hole in on a sweeping back road to try and knock any airlock free. It seemed to work as the temperature guage stayed halfway and the top hose was properly hot by the time I got home. Thats one coolant change I won't be doing myself again.