Fleet Occurrences

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Split_Pin

Re: Fleet Occurrences

Post by Split_Pin »

20220124_121749.jpg
20220124_121749.jpg (812.69 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
I've really gelled with this now and I definitely get the whole 'Saab' thing. Very comfortable and quiet and the boot is big enough to take our 2 scooters and our bags. When I got it, the thermostat was stuck open and the display was showing 19mpg. I live out in the sticks so normally drive on 60mph roads and motorways and, with the thermostat also fixed, so far I have coaxed that up to 24mpg. That's just with normal driving too. I don't see any point in nursing a car for mpg, you might as well just buy a slower smaller car if that's the case.
FB_IMG_1638517243597.jpg
FB_IMG_1638517243597.jpg (75.75 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
The Civic is going to be for sale soon. Unlike the Mini situation last year, the Civic has been a great car but my wife doesn't like the rear visibility. If you saw the go-kart sized spaces in the health centre where she works, you'd understand.

I'm looking for something with a reasonable level of luxury for about £1500. A MK1 Audi A3, A2, something like that. I'm staying away from Minis and anything German post 2003.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

The saab looks lovely. I couldn't get away with my '56 95 saloon. Maybe the diesel spoilt it or I was expecting too much after the v70 I'd owned for a long time.
Did you ever fix the boot lock on the civic? How much you after?
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

I stopped trying to fix the lock on the Civic boot after I'd changed everything including the loom. I think its the BCU which isn't a bad job to change but I'd kind of got over the whole thing by then and just open the boot from the inside.

I'm going to hold into it until I find something decent and reliable but after that I'd be looking at £1k. It's otherwise an excellent car in pretty decent condition.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

After looking about for the last 2 days at 2nd hand cars, it's still the case that for my requirements and budget of about £1500 there is still nothing but overpriced dross.

The Civic is reliable so it at least deserves a bit of a longer stay on feet for now.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Split_Pin wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:50 pm I stopped trying to fix the lock on the Civic boot after I'd changed everything including the loom. I think its the BCU which isn't a bad job to change but I'd kind of got over the whole thing by then and just open the boot from the inside.

I'm going to hold into it until I find something decent and reliable but after that I'd be looking at £1k. It's otherwise an excellent car in pretty decent condition.
At that price, as much as it would pain me to have to shift the 205 on...

Put me down as interested.

By the way, how are the rear suspension mounts? :lol:
That one I had, while it was road legal, was a fucking weapon on the motorway. Bundles of torque and 6th gear is so tall it just ate up the miles at stupidly low revs and high mpg.

I reckon I'd probably just wire a switch up to the boot solenoid and mount it just inside a rear door or something like that.
I imagine all it needs is a 12v feed to release.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Could be a while before it goes but I'll put your name down man. Be nice for an easy sale to a mate!

I have trusted Mr. Ministry on the rear suspension mounts but the rest of the car is completely rust free so I'm 99% certain they're grand.

It's an excellent car and does indeed go like the hammers of fuck.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Split_Pin wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 5:43 pm It's an excellent car and does indeed go like the hammers of fuck.
Yep.

I did actually rather like the one I had, for the brief period I had it! Comfy, quick and economical, plus that comical turbo whistle when it spools up.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Some actual occurrences have occurred.

I noted that Jazoli was selling his Saab 93 and how much I was enjoying mine. A few days later I realised that the boot on mine is adequate, it seats 4, my wife likes it and and why the fuck was I not buying his one for my wife.

I'm taking at trip to the South Lakes from Scotland to collect it on Thursday. My wife is delighted and I can't wait to sample the extra power it has over my example.

The Civic got us out of a pickle last summer after the awful unreliable Bini shat its coolant in McDonalds car park and its been a great car, completely reliable and pretty fast as well. I just wanted something a bit more premium feeling and interesting both for my wife and me, who drives it regularly at weekends. It's been sold to Supernaut and I'm running it up to him on Saturday.

Good times!

The Civic
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Mr Two Saab Convertibles!
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I'm really tempted to buy my old Civic back off Purplebargeken. The A4 I always have the sneaking feeling it'll suddenly shit itself whereas that Civic has always been solid as a rock.

Just two of the same car on the fleet is madness right? :lol: