I seem to of done something stupid yet again

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Re: I seem to of done something stupid yet again

Post by angrydicky »

I'm in early talks to buy a car in Holland. It's a British car, sold new in NL but has been off the road since the 70s and although it still has its Dutch numberplates and correct chassis plates, the current owner doesn't have any paperwork for it. It's over 70 years old.
Is this a potential world of pain? I have no experience of importing cars. I can register it easily once its here via a heritage certificate, but I'm worried the lack of Dutch logbook could cause problems.
I would be interested to know your thoughts, as the resident DW car import guru.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

The DVLA are being a right bunch of cunts at the moment so expect a world of pain from them. Importing isn't that tricky depending on how it is brought over. If you use a transporter they should sort all the import paperwork, but if you go get it yourself and are buying it for personal use then you can bring it back and declare it once here. I spoke to the cars team the other week and they said it should be straight forward bringing a car over but to do C88 form to start with then contact them and they will do all the NOVA paperwork online via email. You will need a bill of sale from the seller and some proof of it's age, so a heritage certificate before it comes here will be useful. My guy from Spain is bringing the Lancia over and has set up a UK base so he can do all the import paperwork when he gets here.
I am currently having a DVLA nightmare with the Buick as they have rejected it on the VIN number and need a dating certificate. HMRC are really helpful and will change the NOVA paperwork to the correct VIN if I send them a photo of the VIN and an explanatory letter for the mistake. The DVLA have even said that they might have to inspect it again even though it has been inspected already. HMRC are pussy cats compared to the bunch of hitlers at the DVLA.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

angrydicky wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:11 pm I'm in early talks to buy a car in Holland. It's a British car, sold new in NL but has been off the road since the 70s and although it still has its Dutch numberplates and correct chassis plates, the current owner doesn't have any paperwork for it. It's over 70 years old.
Is this a potential world of pain? I have no experience of importing cars. I can register it easily once its here via a heritage certificate, but I'm worried the lack of Dutch logbook could cause problems.
I would be interested to know your thoughts, as the resident DW car import guru.
Why don't you import it as spares and use it to rebuild LOB assuming you have a live logbook for that one rather than going through registering it?
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

Without wishing to derail Panhard's thread, I don't want it wearing the identity of a different car. A lot of people wouldn't mind but I would always know it was dodgy. I want to do it properly and above board, it's a genuine car with its ID intact so based on Panhard's excellent advice above it should hopefully be ok to register, as long as the DVLA cunts play ball.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

With you on that, dodgy histories (even if perfectly innocent and known only to me) would destroy a part of what I appreciate about old vehicles. I'm sure the Austin Counties bunch will be very helpful if need be.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

I have spent a little bit of time on the Jensen todayand it is running really sweetly and after lots of messing some of the electrics are coming back to life. I also changed the oil and filter, but just can't get the clutch to free off. I will have another go at the weekend when there are less people down here and I can drive it properly rather than on the ramp trying to get the clutch free. I also washed my C1 which was a right state.
IMG_7857.JPG
IMG_7857.JPG (280.42 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
IMG_7858.JPG
IMG_7858.JPG (297.29 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
IMG_7859.JPG
IMG_7859.JPG (242.96 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
IMG_7855.JPG
IMG_7855.JPG (256.66 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
IMG_7856.JPG
IMG_7856.JPG (290.65 KiB) Viewed 1069 times
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Are you thinking of trying the driving it and nailing the brakes with both feet technique?

Post by Guest »

I used to use the trick recommended by my dad. Warm car right up first. Then stick it in second with clutch pedal down and foot hovering over footbrake and try to start. This needs plenty of space to be safe.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Guest wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:41 pm I used to use the trick recommended by my dad. Warm car right up first. Then stick it in second with clutch pedal down and foot hovering over footbrake and try to start. This needs plenty of space to be safe.
I was a bit more brutal than that with an Audi coupe I'd just paid twenty quid for. I was a bit annoyed as I was told the car just needed a battery and could be driven away and found the clutch pedal to be on the floor. First gear selected, crank it on the starter till it fires, flat out in first, both feet on the brakes and at the same time rip the handbrake up to get it to stop as quickly as possible. Loud bang, pedal pops up, drive away happy. Very much shit or bost.
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

Guest wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:41 pm I used to use the trick recommended by my dad. Warm car right up first. Then stick it in second with clutch pedal down and foot hovering over footbrake and try to start. This needs plenty of space to be safe.
This method worked beautifully on the Hampshire.

I've always liked these small Jensens, they are quite unusual now.

Is that a Vauxhall slant-four with a (Lotus?) twin cam head?