It is all so very Super

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
JimH

Re: It is all so very Super

Post by JimH »

It finally stopped pissing down on Sunday so we gave the Super a run down the track to see what bits needed sorted out. Dragged out the shed to see the the livery in all its glory.

Full boiler pressure, injector working, realised that the steering is much heavier than the S4s. It had to sit like this for a while because we needed to go down the track with the Green Goddess to trim any overhanging branches that might mark the paint.

I really feel it needs something the break the rear end up a bit but I don't know what. The signwriter pretty much refused to even attempt it because anything painted on the doors would "look like shit."

So after the branches got trimmed it was hey ho for the (not exactly) open road. On the track (which is almost exactly 1Km long and there are a few hills of sort to climb)

Atmosphere shot. We didn't play with it for long because it looked like it was going to rain and I didn't see any point in it getting wet.

So what did we learn? Well we had forgotten to check the tyres which were hopelessly low and partially explains the heavy steering, the piston rod glands needed taking up, the brakes needed adjusted, the water pump vent cock was not sealing properly and the throttle valve is still passing very slightly. Apart from that there should be no reason not to venture out onto the road next time.

It is obviously heavier than the S and the engine is not as powerful. On the upside the cab is much quieter and more pleasant to be in. One of the biggest benefits I feel is that it is very much nicer when you want to go slowly. The Supers can inch along almost stopped when you are manoeuvring unlike the S which because of its engine design really needs to be spinning to feel right and it really hates going slowly.

Sadly both the S and the Super was then stripped down for its boiler inspection next week so it is going to be a couple of weeks before we can run it again by which time the weather is almost certain to be shit.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

It looks fantastic outdoors though.

I see what you mean about the back doors, but can't see what you'd be able to add because they aren't a smooth surface.
Private signature, do not read
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

I’ve ran out of superlatives. It’s just fabulous.
JimH

Post by JimH »

I had forgotten we had this photo. This is reputedly 6982 in its final resting place. It was originally built as a tipper* which although the rest of the chassis has been chopped off you can still see it is a tipper because of the water tank behind the cab. The other thing you can make out is most of the name "Tarroads" across the front apron who was the last registered owner.

*If it was built as a tipper why didn't we rebuild it as a tipper? Well it is because tippers are shite and I hate them.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

You've got black trim around the cab, and the latch is black: How about the hinge steel in black also, or just pinstriped in black?

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

PhilA wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 11:31 pm You've got black trim around the cab, and the latch is black: How about the hinge steel in black also, or just pinstriped in black?

Phil
Yeah, that could work to break up the endless red.
Private signature, do not read
JimH

Post by JimH »

We discussed doing the hinges black but rejected that on the grounds it might look a bit gate like. We also wondered about carrying the cream stripe across the rear but that would have made it difficult to make the banner details look right.

When the sign writer was consulted his attitude was “they wouldn’t have worried about it so why should you?”

If you look back at the UCBS Albion a couple of pages ago you’ll see a rail, possibly brass, around the edge of the roof. I did wonder whether that would help matters.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

You could have 'Fuck' and then 'Greta' across both doors?
JimH

Post by JimH »

What are you talking about? That is a zero emission vehicle. I’m going to put some green insulation tape on the number plate when we take it out on the round in the hope of annoying a Tesla Twat.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I've got the green bit on my van number plates. I like to think it winds them up a bit. Probably doesn't though. They're too far up their own arse.
Attachments
Screenshot_20231124_070020_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20231124_070020_eBay.jpg (121.39 KiB) Viewed 2513 times