Autoshiteboy's German shenanigans

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
AutoshiteBoy

Re: Autoshiteboy's German shenanigans

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

A160 I think? The W169 A-Klasse had 3 Diesel engine outputs, but all were the same 2.0 lump.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Yes I think BMW did similar. All 2.0 lumps with various outputs. I nearly bought a first gen a class from a family who's dad had recently died. He'd had car for years but it stunk inside,outside looked like it was parked by braille and the engine had a knock. They "knew it's worth" though and wouldnt budge below the advertised 495. I think sentimentality had a lot of a say in that though. If I was his son and had a big attachment to the car but it was in that state I'd just park it at the back of the driveway. I think that was an a140 petrol on a w plate. Quite well equipped though with all electric windows and AC. I also agree about the odd position seating too.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

AutoshiteBoy wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 7:36 pm What do you recommend as first port of call Reverend?
STAR diagnostics. Biodegradable engine loom on those.

Diags first though.

A Clarse or CLK?
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

CLK 200 Komp.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

I did some fettling of this today. Code Reader said O2 / Lambda sensor. Given the previous owner had already paid a garage to fit one of these, I ruled that out. Also, when I bought a battery for it, the old school parts shop said the garage which has serviced it for the last 15 years had checked price and availability of the Mass Air-Flow Sensor. The code reader also said mis-fire on cylinder 3.

Cylinder 3 as you count it from the bulk head had matching new-ish Beru coil packs on, similar to cylinders 1 and 4. However, cylinder 2 had an ancient Bosch coil pack on. I therefore argued with my mate that cylinder 3 was read from the front of the engine. Regards, we interchanged coil packs 3 & 4 and checked the plugs.

We dismantled the air mass sensor and cleaned it with Forte air mass cleaner and reassembled. The miss-fire has gone. The EML has not illuminated (last time I just cleared the codes, it came straight back on). However, there is a definite hesitancy when pulling away, akin to not having the choke out enough on a Mini. A 8 mile run and we drive back to base to check for a fault code. The only code now present was one for air mass meter, which given the way its driving makes sense.

However, I'm buying nothing yet until I've done more miles in it. Otherwise the engine is very smooth.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Only genuine MAF’s work. Try unplugging it and see if it goes better.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I think he's put it into daily usage for work. That can only make improvements and keep it healthy.
Screenshot_20230123_161815_WhatsApp.jpg
Screenshot_20230123_161815_WhatsApp.jpg (320.85 KiB) Viewed 313 times
Boilers also hate being unused. They rarely fire straight up after a decent lay off. Pumps, gas valves l, fans etc all seize if not regularly exercised. The worst thing you can do is switch them off at the wall.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Needs it's headlights/eyes sorting though.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

It does mind, but I never get the time to sort them.

I did 400 miles in this last weekend, myself and two other fat lads in it went to Skegness for a couple of nights. It was completely outclassed by one of the lads showing up in a Bentley Turbo S.

Friday night and I'm taking it to two ex-Mercedes Master Techs to find out why the EML is always glowing.