2007 Focus Mk2 - A Very Boring Banger

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: 2007 Focus Mk2 - Boot opens everytime the car starts ?!

Post by SiC »

This thing is still providing plenty of service without any new issues, so can't really complain. I've done about 720miles in nearly 3 months of ownership. Basically 3-10 mile journeys out to shops, the beach and the like.

Still looking to replace it but it does everything I need to from a car. I wish it was a bit more frugal as I'm only getting around 35mpg when the same type of journeys in the Fabia 1.4 I had was getting 42mpg odd. Replacing this will be very much like me replacing the Fabia with an Audi, it makes zero sense but I can't just help myself. Incidentally this will probably be replaced by another Audi again.

I do enjoy the carefree nature of this car. I like to berate it but that's a bit unfair given it's doing the job just fine.

Incidentally the heated windscreen certainly puts quite a load on the alternator. You can see the lights dim at idle and feel heavier engine braking with it on. This windscreen heater is a primary reason why it would make no sense to replace this with something else as that windscreen and fast engine warm up makes it the perfect winter beater.

It's right now embarrassing me with its presence at the gym.
Warren t claim

Re: 2007 Focus Mk2 - A Very Boring Banger

Post by Warren t claim »

Depends on the type of gym. Is it a David Lloyd type of establishment or the sort where you get approached by an East European saying "You buy jab, you get big?"
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I tried to go for a cheap council subsidised gym but Mrs SiC turned her nose up. This isn't David Lloyd expensive, so doesn't the meeting rooms you can work from, but is part of a Doubletree Hilton hotel complex.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

My favourite gym is the peak district via a 5-6 mile walk. The pavement will suffice.

The best excercise is walking to the local pool and swimming a mile before walking home again.

Fuck gyms.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I'd rather be seen in the Focus than have people think I'd spent a load of money on the white crap next to it.
Private signature, do not read
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Re: 2007 Focus Mk2 - Boot opens everytime the car starts ?!

Post by bub2006 »

SiC wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 6:45 pm This thing is still providing plenty of service without any new issues, so can't really complain. I've done about 720miles in nearly 3 months of ownership. Basically 3-10 mile journeys out to shops, the beach and the like.

Still looking to replace it but it does everything I need to from a car. I wish it was a bit more frugal as I'm only getting around 35mpg when the same type of journeys in the Fabia 1.4 I had was getting 42mpg odd. Replacing this will be very much like me replacing the Fabia with an Audi, it makes zero sense but I can't just help myself. Incidentally this will probably be replaced by another Audi again.

I do enjoy the carefree nature of this car. I like to berate it but that's a bit unfair given it's doing the job just fine.

Incidentally the heated windscreen certainly puts quite a load on the alternator. You can see the lights dim at idle and feel heavier engine braking with it on. This windscreen heater is a primary reason why it would make no sense to replace this with something else as that windscreen and fast engine warm up makes it the perfect winter beater.

It's right now embarrassing me with its presence at the gym.
35 mpg isn't too bad. My mk2 1.6 managed less than that in town driving. I will also concur that the heated screen us a boon. On my mk1 with it having digital climate control if you press button for windscreen demist it always puts the ac on and can't be turned off so I tend to use the front heated screen buttpn instead. My other mk1 1.6 ghia had heated screen but my mk2 didn't,well i dont think it did. It was a zetec climate on an 05 plate. I can't recall the other mk1 focus having a noticeable load on the engine though enough to dim the lights. I know my current one doesn't do that either. I'd be leaning towards a weak battery as you mentioned earlier. They have a sort of smart charge system on them. Can be bypassed by cutting or removing a wire on the alternator if I recall correct. May be the car is thinking it needs a higher output from the alternator.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Aircon should be on to defrost though, it dries the air so it demists better.
Private signature, do not read
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Hooli wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:07 pm Aircon should be on to defrost though, it dries the air so it demists better.
Yes if the car has ac I agree but the ignis doesn't have ac and numerous cars we've owned over the years had no functioning ac either. I have found out when using the ac to demist though means it fogs up near instantly as soon as the ac is turned off again where as not using the ac means it doesn't fog up again providing blower fan is left on.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Also I tend to have drivers window open at least partially nigh on all the time when I'm driving too which stops fogging.