I know Liz Truss won't scrap motorway speed limits, but if she did...

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
BusmansHoliday

Re: I know Liz Truss won't scrap motorway speed limits, but if she did...

Post by BusmansHoliday »

If you want a straight fast bit of UK motorway then the M180 between J1 and 2. Just remember that plod like to sit on the bridge at J2 or are just around the bend between J2 and 3.

For me, never been that bothered with cars, would still probably sit at 80 anyway.

Back before speed limiters and coaches being banned from the outside lanes on motorways winding one up to well in excess of 80 was easy. After all, Midland Red designed their CM5 coaches to cruise down the new motorway between Birmingham and London at 80 mph, and that was early 60's. It does get a bit brown underwear though when when some dick pulls into the outside lane doing 70 and you've got your AEC going a fucking sight faster fully loaded. Good job they had good brakes.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 2:25 pm
Hooli wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:10 pm
SiC wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:07 pm
My Welsh friend who lives in Germany said that many don't VMax regularly now. Costs a lot more in fuel and much harder cognitive work.
That's why I said 100-120mph, past that I find things are starting to happen faster than I'm thinking ahead.
I'm sure I've seen that clip before. Wasn't it filmed on the last day of no speed limits on that section of AB?
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Realistically, if we did drop the limits it'd only be at night in dry conditions anyway. Yes I know plenty of people would take the opportunity to stretch the wire for maybe five miles but after that, they'd drop down to 90 or so.

It'd be worth it if it was combined with an increase in minimum tyre standards to Kraut levels, i.e illegal to mix makes across an axle.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Warren t claim wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:14 am Realistically, if we did drop the limits it'd only be at night in dry conditions anyway. Yes I know plenty of people would take the opportunity to stretch the wire for maybe five miles but after that, they'd drop down to 90 or so.

It'd be worth it if it was combined with an increase in minimum tyre standards to Kraut levels, i.e illegal to mix makes across an axle.
Don't they fail a vehicle on TÜV if the tires are fitted rated lower than the book vMax of the vehicle?
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

PhilA wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:37 am
Warren t claim wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:14 am Realistically, if we did drop the limits it'd only be at night in dry conditions anyway. Yes I know plenty of people would take the opportunity to stretch the wire for maybe five miles but after that, they'd drop down to 90 or so.

Don't they fail a vehicle on TÜV if the tires are fitted rated lower than the book vMax of the vehicle?
I had a taxi fail inspection for having run flat tyres but no TPMS.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Warren t claim wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 2:41 am I had a taxi fail inspection for having run flat tyres but no TPMS.
Modern run flats ride pretty much the same as they do when empty as full; i.e. crashy so yeah, I could see the logic behind the fail. The only way you'll know is when you check the pressures.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

I'm searching for online info as to how strict the German TUV test is compared to our MOT without much luck.
NorfolkNWeigh

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

BusmansHoliday wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:38 pm If you want a straight fast bit of UK motorway then the M180 between J1 and 2. Just remember that plod like to sit on the bridge at J2 or are just around the bend between J2 and 3.

For me, never been that bothered with cars, would still probably sit at 80 anyway.

Back before speed limiters and coaches being banned from the outside lanes on motorways winding one up to well in excess of 80 was easy. After all, Midland Red designed their CM5 coaches to cruise down the new motorway between Birmingham and London at 80 mph, and that was early 60's. It does get a bit brown underwear though when when some dick pulls into the outside lane doing 70 and you've got your AEC going a fucking sight faster fully loaded. Good job they had good brakes.
My Dad was Midland Red Motorways Express driver from 68 to 74, some days he’d manage 3 return trips for the overtime and used to spend breaks in The Travellers pub next door to Victoria. How there was never a massive fiery accident, fuck knows. I do remember his block of wood for wedging the accelerator ,in the boot of the Mk2 Cortina estate and then Viscount, apparently on the late returns he’d insert it when he joined the M1 ( Hendon in those days) and left it there until the first roundabout on the A45.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Those Midland Red Express coaches were amazing things weren't they?....15 mpg too, apparently although I would suggest not at 80mph.

For a little while in the early 60s it must have looked like we were going to embrace the Motorway Age.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Aye that's what motorways are for, not the way they've been ruined since.
Private signature, do not read