Heatwave 76 Gina I got a Cortina...................

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
8BAK465

Heatwave 76 Gina I got a Cortina...................

Post by 8BAK465 »

Was the Summer of 76 my uncle Dick had passed away some 5 years previous and his daily was left out under a willow tree catching moss and three years of dead autumn leaves. Dick was a mechanic and as often said Mechanics dont have time to look after their own cars :(

The Cortina was even after 5 years collecting rot :twisted: so after his passing a friend gave it a cheap quick and dirty blow over to stop it deteriorating any further.

My auntie Dot didn't really want to part with it still trying to hold on to her memories so from there it went into a friends barn until it was just uncovered.

Auntie Dot agreed to let it go as it was staying in the Family and it moved for the Third time in its life,Originally at his garage then stored in a barn in Essex by an old friend of Dicks now it was on the back of a Bedford TK heading to the badlands of Birkenhead :lol:

Sound! The old girl has arrived :mrgreen:

So far what I know is it spins over but wont fire.

The rear offside door is seized shut

The boot is Seized open :roll:

The boot lid was open had been resting on its spring for two years was closed for transportation now its seized closed :cry:

I just dont know what horrors are waiting for me under all that grime but i can see that at least one front wing has started to crack,dont know what its been painted with but its reacted with the original paint and is cracking and bare metal has been exposed :roll:

I think its time to clean her up over the weekend so stay tuned.
Last edited by 8BAK465 on Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
BusmansHoliday

Re: Heatwave 76 Gina I got a Cortina...................

Post by BusmansHoliday »

Guess it's an autocorrect but that's a Chelmsford registration so it would probably be new in Shenfield not Sheffield (which issued WA, WB AND WE reg letters).
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

BusmansHoliday wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 7:57 am Guess it's an autocorrect but that's a Chelmsford registration so it would probably be new in Shenfield not Sheffield (which issued WA, WB AND WE reg letters).
Who Mentioned Sheffield :lol:

Fixed ;)

Do play along :arrow:
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

A lot of Ford's publicity and press fleet had those "WC" reg. numbers too.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

mercrocker wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:59 am A lot of Ford's publicity and press fleet had those "WC" reg. numbers too.
There's a bit of confusion as some sources say one place and some another. Car was shipped from Ongar so maybe it is a local to there reg?
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Post by angrydicky »

Yes, WC was Essex.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

angrydicky wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 1:33 pm Yes, WC was Essex.
Looked like it spent all its life there until I rescued it ;)
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
NorfolkNWeigh

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

You probably know that excellent quality fibre glass front wings are available for old Cortinas , in my view a much more satisfactory solution than Plastic Padding and Isopon, which never looks attractive. Although the glassing up and filling approach is still ideal for the inner wings and strut tops.
I do find your stripe slightly offensive, as it implies your car is a Lotus , as the owner of a genuine Lotus Cortina it’s very annoying that I have a car that is worth ten times or more the £30/40 you probably paid for your car, but yours looks the same.
This long hot summer is the perfect time to make your car weatherproof , black mastic painted around the screen rubbers will see you right if it ever rains again!
I find it refreshing someone wants to keep an old banger on the road, too many young people are willing to put £200 down and get into debt with a Thousand Pounds or more on HP. I e heard that when the new Cortina comes out later this month the top models will be near to £3000.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

NorfolkNWeigh wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:43 pm You probably know that excellent quality fibre glass front wings are available for old Cortinas , in my view a much more satisfactory solution than Plastic Padding and Isopon, which never looks attractive. Although the glassing up and filling approach is still ideal for the inner wings and strut tops.
I do find your stripe slightly offensive, as it implies your car is a Lotus , as the owner of a genuine Lotus Cortina it’s very annoying that I have a car that is worth ten times or more the £30/40 you probably paid for your car, but yours looks the same.
This long hot summer is the perfect time to make your car weatherproof , black mastic painted around the screen rubbers will see you right if it ever rains again!
I find it refreshing someone wants to keep an old banger on the road, too many young people are willing to put £200 down and get into debt with a Thousand Pounds or more on HP. I e heard that when the new Cortina comes out later this month the top models will be near to £3000.
Yes there will be some bodgery but I may do it properly further down the line. Dad has a 72 Cortina 1600 XL,Trying to temp him into buying a Mk4 but he is happy with his Burgundy mk3 :mrgreen:

Apparently I am told in 64 when the Airflow came out they did these stripes to temp early buyers who couldn't see the point of upgrading so they colour coded Dash,Steering Wheel,Door Insides and did a matching stripe. They were known internally as an unofficial Super Delux no less! :mrgreen:

I is jealous of your Lotus :P