Heatwave 76 Gina I got a Cortina...................

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
8BAK465

Re: Heatwave 76 Gina I got a Cortina...................

Post by 8BAK465 »

So Photos are back so how did it clean up?

Well I was going to say its a 20 footer but make that 200 feet :lol:

Can you spot all the grot from this distance :roll:

its amazing how much a car can rot in 11 Years :o

It might look already from a distance but the cheap respray has reacted with the original paint and lifted that to the bare metal in some areas (Which is now rusty :cry: )

But its still very sound in most areas but can and will be saved :mrgreen:

More about the grot and bad paint in the next few days ;)

As they say things have to get worse before they get better :?
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

So the elephant in the room :roll:

The paint :?

At 5 years old it was starting to rust and when Dick fell ill he friend gave it a blowover :roll:

When he passed it wasn't stored well and from recollection his friend thinks he sprayed it with Celly.

I asked at the Local Ford Dealer and they are unsure but during 65 they went from Acrylic to Celly and this may be Acrylic and Celly and Acrylic dont play well together :x

So meanwhile on the surface of the moon :shock:

Sorry on the tops of the Wings,Doors,Bonnet and Boot (its a a bit Snap Crackle and Pop :|)

And the bonnet lip and the sides of the wings I dont think Clearasil will solve this one :roll: :lol:

:shock:

And the bonnet left to right just doesn't get any better

Well it is a fixer upper :roll:

Its gets better stay tuned
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Mine rotted around the headlamp bezels.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I know it is clearly not as good as it looks in the photos but judging by the panel shuts and chrome strips it seems fundamentally sound in shell. Given the length of time in storage I'd say it is in pretty good shape!

Have you assessed the underbody structure yet?

By the way, I have seen some very convincing advertisements in Practical Motorist for something called Finnigan's Waxoyl - you just spray it on (no need for overalls, best Capri pants and blouse will be fine) as you lay alongside with a nice cup of tea. Chases moisture from mild steel instantly, apparently, then turns rust back to solid metal.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Warren t claim wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 1:59 am Mine rotted around the headlamp bezels.
Yes was expecting more rot around the lamps Warren according to Car Mechanics magazines words of advice on this model but its fine apart from a tiny pinhole 8-)
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

mercrocker wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 9:50 am I know it is clearly not as good as it looks in the photos but judging by the panel shuts and chrome strips it seems fundamentally sound in shell. Given the length of time in storage I'd say it is in pretty good shape!

Have you assessed the underbody structure yet?

By the way, I have seen some very convincing advertisements in Practical Motorist for something called Finnigan's Waxoyl - you just spray it on (no need for overalls, best Capri pants and blouse will be fine) as you lay alongside with a nice cup of tea. Chases moisture from mild steel instantly, apparently, then turns rust back to solid metal.....
Ive already made progress on freezing the rusty bits in suspended animation,Ive used something called Jelonite its all turned black and then you just wash off all the filthy greasy jelly left behind.

Underneath is generally sound but when i got it there were some new parts in the boot

There's a full exhaust system and an outrigger I guess jobs Dick never finished?

This car was undersealed from new but Dick used to always strip it off and brush liberally with used Engine Oil dont know why he never did this one? If i use his method or the new fangled Waxoyl ill wear by old oily flares,t shirt,Oil knackered old bra (oo err) and a tatty old headscarf.

More pics of progress either today or tomorrow :mrgreen:
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

So a bit behind on update as I started to grind down the rusty areas some went very good some went not so good :?

So lets get the nasties out of the way first :roll:

I decided to grind down a little bubble at the base of the front nearside wing where it meets the inner sill and it cracked and this fell out :shock:

This is the front

This is from the side showing a layer of rusty metal and a layer of filler Jackonory would be proud of :lol:

And this is the rear of the smoke and mirrors facade

And this is what it once covered :roll:

Like that? Wait until you see the front Valance :lol:

Good job the car was Cheap :?

More soon
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Don't poke the bear!
Look what happened to Si.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

So the front valance :?

I had a little poke :roll:

And this fell out :roll:

And revealed this professional repair :shock:

I am determined to put this right,you know what they say" A mechanic never has the time to do their own car right :roll:"

I am at least going to make it solid ;)
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

The chassis outriggers were like Play Doh on mine. Luckily it came with replacements.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.