That awful colour MGB GT

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: That awful colour MGB GT

Post by SiC »

My MGB has been sitting getting a fresh rain wash on my drive while it thought about itself breaking. In truth at least it did it now rather than on the way to the MGB60 event next month.

Put it in its usual configuration

Checked the new roughly matched the old.

Bolts go into captive nuts, so a simple job of whizzing them off with my Milwaukee stubby.

Engine side is clean.

Front is filthy. This looks like the side that potentially has failed but then it also will get all the grime stuck to it.

I elected to remove the hoses and cooler in one. They connect to the block and the oil filter housing here:

And here:

I chose to remove the rear hose first as it'd give me better access to the front oil filter hose. I removed the oil pressure gauge hose as gave much better access. Wish I bought a replacement hose for this gauge though.

On the oil filter housing, the coupler came undone before the hose.

This used a crush washer to seal the gap. Same one as used on the sump.

New hoses checked. The right angle side attaches to the cooler. Much more flexible than the old and I'm glad that I did replace them. Not least the fittings on the old oil cooler were seized on.

Refit it all. Hoses are a bit of a pain to get through the radiator shroud. Used the original rubber grommets as in good condition and modern rubber can be shite.

The hoses have a rubber strap to hold them together. Original fabric coated one unfortunately perished. It broke a few months ago.

There was two straps so I put one each side.

Ran the engine and checked for leaks.

Oil was low, so topped up. Took pretty much a full two pints. Handily what was remaining from the last oil change.

I used this oil. Don't think it's got much or any ZDDP in but it doesn't thin as badly as some oils with heat. The engine seems to quite like it .
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Just think how much you would have to undo on the Focus.....Is that oil semi or full fat mineral?
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Mineral I believe. USA version has ZDDP where as the UK/EU version appears to not mention it (so probably not got it).

Probably less to undo on the Focus as big engine bay with a small engine in! Also no oil cooler or anything similar to worry about.

The BGT actually can be an arse to work on. Especially around that distributor area where everything is quite tight. Loads of room higher up in the engine bay but not a lot down the bottom. Carb/manifold side is even worse and replacing the PRV is a right arse.

I personally think moderns can/are easier to work on than many older cars. Especially on vehicles with small petrol engines in an engine bay designed to take much bigger engines. The Focus chassis can take the Focus ST 2.5l 5pot, so quite big. Likewise turbo diesels take up a fair chunk of room.
So the smaller petrols are a fair bit more roomier around it.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Yes, the B Series is a bit of a clusterfuck on that front - particularly the pre-Farina Austin Cambridge where it is almost impossible to re-align the oil filter canister. I had to take the dizzy out of the Cowley to change the heater valve but carb side is loads better owing to the higher engine mount position and lack of innerwing intrusion.....

What's the issue with ZDDP?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I don't know if that vr1 has any ZDDP in at all.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

The Millers semi I use in the VW has it but in the optimum "recommended" concentration. The guys who rebuilt the engine recommended I use it so I will until the warranty expires and then consider my options....
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Ah no it appears API SL requires some ZDDP in. That's good enough for me!
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Do they sell Rotella T4 there?
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Not that I can see. There is a Shell Rimula that looks to be aiming at the same product line. So possibly the same thing but with a different name?

Thanks for the call on the hoses btw. I've not cut them open but the old ones are rock hard and no doubt wouldn't appreciate being reused after being bent.