That awful colour MGB GT

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: That awful colour MGB GT

Post by mercrocker »

My caveat would be that roads were better back then and so were suspension bushes. On the other side of the coin it is an expensive but not ruinous job to sort out (the bushes, not the roads of course) and with the case of the MGB proper upgrades are readily available and easily researched.

I'd be happy to daily a "B"
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I'd just make sure it's undersealed well before it's first winter.
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Asimo wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:09 pm Sure does look wantable in those photos. It is a boring thing to say but “if I had a building to keep this in…”
Trouble is when I look at the pictures I catch myself thinking - I could just remove this, delete that, change those, fit better, move those, fill that…
Which would be a shame because this looks to be an unusually original B-GT.
G.L.W.T.S!
This is the problem I have with it. It's not perfect but it's a bit too nice.

I'd like a Webasto and did consider cutting a hole for one in this. But that'd seem sacrilege given the amount of cars with them already.

Likewise, even though I drove it the other day, winter use I'd feel guilty in getting dirt/salt all underneath/over it. Where as my Spitfire has been used all year round by the previous owner and shows it as such in areas. While in decent shape, it's not as original, so I don't really feel bad at all.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

mercrocker wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2024 9:00 pm My caveat would be that roads were better back then and so were suspension bushes. On the other side of the coin it is an expensive but not ruinous job to sort out (the bushes, not the roads of course) and with the case of the MGB proper upgrades are readily available and easily researched.

I'd be happy to daily a "B"
I poly bushed the bottom wishbone as the standard rubber ones were cack out of the packet. Doesn't feel hard at all.

Mega easy working on the suspension on these. Spring can be released and compressed safely just by using a jack and no other special tools. Certainly a very DIY friendly car.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Trying to decide how much. I'm thinking listing at £5500 and expecting offers. That's what I'd like but not sure if realistic.

Not many on for sale at the moment either so hard to judge.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I used to daily my MGB through Yorkshire winters and my daily commute used to be Leeds to Batley and once a week to Huddersfield, for evening classes, so a few hills. I never got stuck in the snow as although it's low it had plenty of traction on its Semperits.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

I did a suspension refresh on a customers MGB last year which included new rear springs and uprated shocks all round. He popped in with it yesterday and the ride height has settled just right now. He is well pleased with it and reckons it is driving better than it ever has. He has had it 20 plus years and restored at least twice. I am no fan of them as they are rather primative for their time, but parts availability is excellent even if the quality isn't the best.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Suspension wise the biggest improvements with mine were fitting telescopic rear shocks and, less significantly, a castor correction kit.
NorfolkNWeigh

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

Regarding ease of access for creaky old feckers is it worse than a Boxster. I’ve been using ours as an every day car for the last week and I’m looking enviously at Qashqai drivers 😕
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

If you think the Boxster is hard to get in and out of... 🤣

I don't understand why 70-80yr olds buy these sorts of classics as they really struggle to use them. Probably why many end couped up in garages or you see the owners just sat in them at classic car shoes.

I'm intending and hope to stay fit, slim and able enough to not make it an issue when I get to that age. My parents who are in their 60s haven't so I fully expect not to if I keep up my fitness like they have.