The Astraslag TDW Slut Car Thread

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Re: Epic Collection.

Post by paulplom »

After meeting him I think all those stories he's been telling us aren't true. The guy's a gentleman.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Six pages for picking up an Astra G. Must be a record.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

And no poo count, no pictures of his breakfast, no Chodspeed.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

LynehamHerc wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 7:47 pm And no poo count, no pictures of his breakfast, no Chodspeed.
And all the better for it IMO
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

You home yet? If it's not done a pizza shift yet I'll be disappointed
Private signature, do not read
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

LUpcR-.gif
LUpcR-.gif (1.21 MiB) Viewed 506 times
christine

Post by christine »

Pizza an Chips got..
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Due to needing a snooze before driving back, I've only been home a couple of hours.

Report will be forthcoming tomorrow.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Glad you made it back safely in that deathtrap.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

I suppose that I'd better catch up on the story.

After collecting the Disastra from the legend that is our own resident Geordie Mario in 0191I was tasked with returning home. As the son of Claim_Intended is at Newcastle Uni and finishing this week he'd bought a train ticket home for today we decided that it'd a good idea to either load the car up with his stuff and I take it back with me and he lets the train take the strain as his stuff totally filled the Ioniq on the outward journey meaning no space for a passenger, or play advanced Tetris with packing the Astra to see if me, him and his stuff can return at the same time. Despite being slightly smaller externally, the Astra managed to fit the pair of us and even more stuff than the Hyundai.

Earlier plans to drive back using my current Fiesta insurance were changed as I felt that subjecting a car that'd only covered 36 miles in the last year to a fully laden 200 mile journey might kill it leaving us stranded so I swapped my insurance over as I pay for full breakdown cover in my policy. One 15 minute call to Esure had everything swapped over. This cost me just £25 extra over the cost of my Fiesta and £25 admin fee.

The journey home would be further than my trip out as instead of going back to Wirral we'd be going to Claim_Intended's gaff in North Wales, a trip of 200 miles. At least this will give me a chance to get well acquainted with the green Vauxhall.

We set off at 8.30pm whilst it's still light. Being a Vectra C veteran who's suffered with Vauxhall cataract headlamps before and noticing that the Astra's headlights are cloudy to say the least, I had my fingers crossed for sunset. As it turned out I need not have worried, even in their cloudy state, night time visibility was better than what I'm used to with my small Ford.

Within twenty miles the skies opened and I'm pleased to say that the wipers work well with no Triangle Of Doom* or Corners Of Disappointment*. As the rain eased off I did notice one feature lacking, variable intermittent wipe. Never mind, it's only an LS.

Fully loaded it took a fair few revs to work up to cruising speed, the 1.6 single cam lump is very smooth and refined but not blessed with a lot of torque and the gearing is very tall too. Once up to speed though it is happy to cruise in 5th without changing down for hills. After the Fiesta it's strange being able to sit at 70mph without any strain.

Part 2 soon....
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.