Claim's Cabbies Corner. Repo Revenge.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Re: Claim's Cabbies Corner. Kill crazy rampage imminent.

Post by bub2006 »

Hooli wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:04 pm Taxis here have two speeds. 22mph with passengers & 92mph without.
Sounds about right.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

bub2006 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:48 am Warren,can I ask a question? Do taxi rates vary between councils? I have noticed around her alot of taxis when they have passengers are barely doing 25 mph regardless of speed limit. Only thing I can think of is they are paid on time and not miles.
On the hacks it's a mix of time and distance and if a cab is traveling at less than 5mph waiting time kicks in. PH is usually distance only.
TDW disclock and killswitch champion.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Thanks. Doesn't coincide with the 20 ISH mph speeds then. How odd.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

The other way to tell if they've got passengers is if they slow for a green light or actually wait at a junction and don't cut anyone up to get out
Private signature, do not read
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Here's a story that I'm pretty sure I've never shared before on here.

The Runner I let Get Away.

Normally a runner triggers Evil Warren into action within nanoseconds but in this case I let the scrote get away with it for his efforts.

Allow me to set the scene. At the time I was working my Omega Elite 3.0 V6 petrol so this dates the story to about mid 2004. Although I'm normally a night driver on this day I started early. At about 5.30 pm I was despatched a job to collect a punter from New Ferry Job Centre who wanted to go to Birkenhead town centre. He's your typical Birkonian track suit trash lad in his mid 20s and he gets in the back and we set off for the three mile journey. About two and a half miles into the trip we get to this point on the very busy New Chester Road.
ncr1.png
ncr1.png (1.35 MiB) Viewed 935 times

As we get to a speed camera the lad opens the door and bails out! I look in the mirror to see the following traffic scatter to avoid his body rolling down the road! And then to my surprise, I see him jump up and sprint away in the direction of a well-known block of flats that house many of the local smackhead community. The lad had clearly planned his stuntman act beforehand and knew that the best chance he had would be at the section of the road where the speed camera was because he knew I'd be driving at under 30 mph at that point.

To be honest, if you paid me enough I'd certainly consider jumping out of a car moving at 28 mph but I can assure you that the monetary reward required would be a hell of a lot more than £3.80!
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Omega V6,jesus I remember my dad not being happy at the Mondeo 2.5 auto he had doing teens mpg and I'd guess the omega was a bit worse.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

About the same, I like the 2.5/3.0 V6 motors assist from the plastic thrust washers in the omega auto box which self distruct at 120k
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

My uncle had a 2.2 omega auto and replaced that with a 2.6mv6. The V6 was better on fuel than the 2.2,pretty much same issue we had with our old w210 estate. 2.0 4 pot averaged less than 20 mpg yet the V6 could do into the 20s.
NorfolkNWeigh

Post by NorfolkNWeigh »

My best runners also involved an Omega, late on a Saturday night and all trains stopped at Bletchley. There had been some sort of football match involving Wolves in London. The Stationmaster or whoever used to call all the local PH companies , you’d get a chit that you would present at the ticket office the next day to be paid depending on the miles.
Anyway 4 pisssed up Noddy Holder soundalikes loaded into my M reg 2.0i CD manual Omega and off we went to Wolverhampton, they wanted to stop for a piss after 20 mins or so and I pulled into Rothersthorpe Services( as it was then) two of them got out , after a few minutes the others started whispering , then burst out and fucked off ! I had a quick look in the services for them but they’d gone, God knows where they thought they were.
I of course went back to the station got another 4 passengers going to New Street and got 2 payments the next day.
Warren t claim

Post by Warren t claim »

Now and again a punter shows such breathtaking stupidity and ineptitude that even I, after well over two decades in the job have to question whether this has happened or not. Today such an occurrence happened.

I know that I've told the tale before about the lad who did a runner into his own house and then opened his front door on the chain to tell me that his failure to pay was a civil matter forcing me to pop the chain by using a spade conveniently left in his front garden but this "lady" earlier in today went one better. Not only did she do a runner into her own house before darting upstairs and shouting down out of an open window that she'll have to phone the office to pay, she also managed to do all of this whilst leaving her front door key in the lock!

If it'd been a bloke doing this I'd have just let myself in and walked off with his telly but as I was dealing with what could loosely be termed a female I had to try another tactic.

As her front door didn't have a Yale type lock being fitted with one of those either locked or unlocked types, I decided in the interests of her own home security I'd lock her in and launch the key onto her porch roof. I left a message with the operator to tell her where the key is when she doubtlessly remembers that paying for her taxi is something that slipped her mind and she phones up to pay by card.