What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: What did you do today?

Post by SiC »

Picked up a panel in Moss yesterday. They had their GT6 training chassis out the front. Apparently setup a few years ago at a colleague, BL training centre or something. Anyway I took a few pictures that might be handy in the future for reference on the chassis or just interesting to gawp at and examine on how it's setup.

Even though the Spitfire/GT6/etc is a lot bendier vehicle than an MG, that suspension is more advanced. Except that retched swing axle.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

One owner from new garage find!

It's been stuck in there for 6 months in my parents garage as they've had building work done. However the brickys have not only got brick dust all over it, they disconnected the car battery charger and didn't plug it back in. So the battery went completely flat.

The engine in these is obviously in the back as mid engine, so the battery is under the Frunk. However that's electrically controlled and with no power it's not possible to activate it.

Handly Porsche envisaged this being a problem. In the fusebox is a pull out terminal you can connect a jumper lead to. This allows power to pop the bonnet.

Much better than my earlier Boxster (same problem in the early 911 too) where the official way is to have to make a harness to wire into the fusebox.

Once that was done, the battery could be accessed. Except the car was very upset at that point and had the alarm siren going off. Bloody loud trying to replace the battery with that going off. Not surprising given it's by the battery. I found some ear defenders that made it bareble.

Battery changed, ignition on and the usual Christmas tree light up from a replaced battery. It got put away on a satisfying 64k exactly.

Pulled it out of the garage. Did the usual ESP trick of turning the wheels to both end stops and a short drive forward to clear that warning.

I went for a drive with my mum and then swapped for her to drive back.
"I really like my car and I don't want to sell it! You can borrow it though..."

Damn. I was hoping she'd finally let me buy it! I don't mind driving it but it's a bit different driving someone else's pride and joy. If it's your own and you prang it, imo it doesn't feel as bad. However if it's someone elses then I'd feel incredibly guilty, even if it wasn't my fault.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

They’re a superb thing. What a modern 911 should be in terms of size and weight.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

20230106_170339.jpg
20230106_170339.jpg (448.37 KiB) Viewed 360 times
My two new machines.

One on the left pumped up and held air in the tires and pushed to where it is now. Solenoid and/or starter circuit is junk. Jumped it cranked over a bit and popped out the intake a couple times but wouldn't crank past the compression (of which is has plenty on one pot and a modest amount on the other). It's a 22hp v-twin.

One on the right has some major electrical issues but the engine did kinda crank over a little bit. Couldn't get it to light off. 18hp single. Couple dead tires.

Red one that I didn't buy behind the two freed off with a bit of work from BIG WRENCH and with a bit of carb cleaner ran briefly.

I'll winch then onto the trailer tomorrow and bring them back here to work on.

Likely I'll just Frankenstein the electrical system on the little one and probably try repair the 145 properly.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:54 pm They’re a superb thing. What a modern 911 should be in terms of size and weight.
It's so much tighter to drive than my Boxster. I'm hoping a full wheel alignment will make it similar though. I like the retro Porsche feel of my interior but the 9*7 interior is far improved and modern. It also feels a more special place to be.

Hers has had a lot of money thrown at it over the years. A service is every 2 years according to the book and invariably something extra needs doing. From water pumps to active suspension shocks to car audio amplifiers. Pretty much ends up being at least a grand bill everytime.

My mum's only two regrets are that she let my dad be a Scrooge and not order the Cayman S. Also that 6 months after she received hers the facelift came out and had half the road tax.

However in terms of long term ownership, the non-S actually appears to have been a less troublesome engine. The 3.4 S engine had a whole manor of expensive failure points that could pretty much lead the block to be scrap. She specced the 6-speed gearbox on this too (which also came with active suspension) as she didn't like the idea of the 5spd. The standard 5-spd is the biggest bug bare of many on the non-S and the 6-spd apparently was a rarely chosen option. She also specced the obligatory yellow seat belts too.

I always got told I would get it for part-ex cost when she came to change it. However they've just never got around to changing it as it's never been a priority. She was nearly tempted the last time she had a service at a Porsche dealer. However she was put off by the latest having a 4-cyl lump.

I've toyed around with the idea of selling the Boxster and getting a Cayman anyway. However everytime I look, it's just a sea of silver/white/black. It's incredibly hard to find one in a actual colour (especially yellow), then find one that has been looked after and not had loads of owners or mega miles on it. Basically the exact car I want is the one my mum owns.

Imo the Cayman is a better car than a 911. Obviously no one believes you when you say this. "You only buy a Cayman when you can't afford a 911" is the general retort. That's bollocks as the Cayman has 50:50 weight distribution, doesn't have the useless back seats, smaller & lighter, more luggage storage and far cheaper. Only thing is doesn't have is the much extra power of the 911. But that's just Porsche not wanting to make the Cayman being an obviously better car.

Tbh, without the badge on the rear, the average lay person has no idea between a 911 or Cayman anyway. It helps with the bright colour but you definitely notice people looking at it as you drive past.

Not a car that probably is appreciated by most on here though.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

SiC wrote: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:57 pm
Tbh, without the badge on the rear, the average lay person has no idea between a 911 or Cayman anyway. It helps with the bright colour but you definitely notice people looking at it as you drive past.

Not a car that probably is appreciated by most on here though.
Even with the badge on the back most people don't have a clue anyway. There's so many minor revision changes and sub-models they're almost as bad as British Leyland.
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Jaaaaag
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

Yesterday: Changed the brake pads front and rear on the x trail and set about my daughter's 173k miles 08 polo for its 5th mot in her ownership. Things I know it needs include wheel bearings, brake discs and pads, an abs sensor and an oil change. £200+ at the motor factors for parts and oil.
The front wheel bearings are press in jobs and there's a tool to do it in situ, which I don't have. Plan was to take the hub off and do it in the press. Couldn't get the bastard bolt out the bottom of the strut. Nut came off fine but the bolt is seized in there. Meant to be M12 spline bit but thanks to corrosion it barely touches the sides. Reckon an M13 could be hammered in but all my sets (4 of) jump from M12 to M14.
It started to drizzle so I gave up for the night.

After a couple of beers I ordered the special tool. No doubt I'll get the bolt out this morning.
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Post by angrydicky »

Never come across an M13 bolt! I didn't think that size even existed, but I looked it up and it is indeed a thing! Learn something new every day.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Just googled it and these came up
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384433092116

Never seen one of them before either. Looks like a potential whole world of seized pain.

I'm not a massive fan of spline fixings that VAG love to use. I think they use it on higher torque applications where torx isn't suitable.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

SiC, how long did it take you to update your foxwell?
This has been on an hour so far.
Attachments
20230107_105303.jpg
20230107_105303.jpg (590.13 KiB) Viewed 309 times