What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: What did you do today?

Post by SiC »

Isn't 95mph VMax for one of them?
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

mercrocker wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:24 pm There is a photography thread on here already somewhere. And some SLR experts too.

In other news, I gave the VW a pre-summer shakedown run today. Was going to bring it home but no point as it will only fill with water whilst we sit another month out under lockdown. I did notice, however, before putting it back in the barn that one of the manifold studs has fallen out again. What an arse, that almost certainly means the thread is stripped in the aluminium head. Fucking shit metal to use in a car engine, FFS. Chemical repair beckons, I feel.
What I would do in this situation is shim the stud hole using some brass shimstock. You might be able to buy an assortment of thicknesses - you want something thin and flexible enough to form a cylinder without kinking much. Then bung it in the hole and fit the stud, you will feel it grip and tighten. The good thing is, this will be a sound fixing whilst being totally unobtrusive.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

LynehamHerc wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:16 pm Didn't someone on the beige, Peter C(?), have some miracle chemical metal?
Only suitable for 'repairing' brake pipes.
Squire Dawson

mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

fried onions wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:42 pm
mercrocker wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:24 pm There is a photography thread on here already somewhere. And some SLR experts too.

In other news, I gave the VW a pre-summer shakedown run today. Was going to bring it home but no point as it will only fill with water whilst we sit another month out under lockdown. I did notice, however, before putting it back in the barn that one of the manifold studs has fallen out again. What an arse, that almost certainly means the thread is stripped in the aluminium head. Fucking shit metal to use in a car engine, FFS. Chemical repair beckons, I feel.
What I would do in this situation is shim the stud hole using some brass shimstock. You might be able to buy an assortment of thicknesses - you want something thin and flexible enough to form a cylinder without kinking much. Then bung it in the hole and fit the stud, you will feel it grip and tighten. The good thing is, this will be a sound fixing whilst being totally unobtrusive.

Sounds a good plan, I'll look into that. The good thing is although the engine is by no means "scrap", economically any head work required from now on will be better spent on a complete replacement unit.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

fried onions wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:42 pm

I've not heard of that. Sounds like a better version of my idea with a rawlbolt.
Private signature, do not read
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

I have used the method to good effect on corroded threaded holes on the cooling system so that bolts can get a grip and draw down on a gasket. The shim is forced both outwards into the degraded bore and inwards onto the bolt threads. These rare old parts are nigh impossible to repair otherwise; overboring is risky and carries no guarantee, and I always try the easy option first.
Squire Dawson

paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

SiC wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:12 pm Isn't 95mph VMax for one of them?
No idea. I had to slow because of traffic. Newtube reckons 110mph ish indicated.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

paulplom wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:52 pm Valeted inside and out. Came with sat nav and bluetooth transmitter fitted as standard. Reciept for £165 for brake pipes and mot. Got 95 on the way home. Petrol light came on when I was nearly home. Very pleased. Would buy again.
Liked for the new car excitement. That radio station? I didn’t realise that you’re a middle aged housewife.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

It was already tuned to that. Honest bruv.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

Yeah yeah whatever!