Campervan DUB wanka Pineapple sorry I know.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Nibblet

Campervan DUB wanka Pineapple sorry I know.

Post by Nibblet »

Considering...again, the purchase of a Camper van and want to know your experiences of em, both converted panel vans and the real deal; most especially the level of sound insulation they may have- I would like to be able to kip in one in busy places in comfort. Are they an environment that you could spend weeks in at a time or really, even in an expensive one an uncomfortable experience only slightly better than camping in a tent?
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: Campervan DUB wanka Pineapple sorry I know.

Post by mercrocker »

These are my thoughts.....Other ill-informed opinions are available and should be sought.

I'm not going to discuss vehicle base as it's pointless really, the living bit is the thing although you will have to drive the bloody thing too.....

Having a purpose-built camper conversion has been good in as much as things tend to work well in the space available. I would like to self-build but it would just be shit, end of. You have the skillz and it might be a better road to go down.....

I think anybody with a bit of ability would be able to plan and build a better layout simply because it can be tailored to your needs. Don't forget also the day-use aspect can be equally enjoyable and so your overnight needs shouldn't necessarily over-ride those.

Panel vans are better for stealth camping as they attract less attention but do not always get a warm welcome on campsites atlhough I think that is probably changing. Anything, in my view, beats a tent hands down - even a fucked Sprinter with a sleeping bag in the back. Extending the time in which you can comfortably camp is a lot to do with getting the basics right - comfortable bed (as few sections as possible, maybe a memory foam overlay) and adequate cooking facilities. Two rings and a grill has done me well for 16 years, I don't bother with a fridge only a powered coolbox.
Toilet facilities are limited to a small portapotti (piss only) otherwise it is out in the woods, supermarkets or gyms, bus stations etc.
Headroom is an important consideration - if you can't stand up in it then it will not take long to become extremely pissed off.

I suppose you should also consider re-sale value - a purpose built camper will nearly always be more desirable than somebody's shagtastic attempt at re-creating a teenage heaven.

Loads and loads of helpful as well as useless guidance on Youtube which is frankly where I would be headed for more practical guidance and information.

TL;DR - I am shit at adapting and being uncomfortable, moan like fuck about the cold yet still enjoy campervan ownership (and bearing the expense) after 16 years and the Mrs is still married to me and wants to go out vanning. Enjoy!
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Or just get pissed everynight and you'll not be bothered in the slightest. I could sleep on a washing line when I'm drunk.
Problem being, in the morning you'll be sober.
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

Sadly... or not I am very much the opposite, not only do I have no tolerance to alcohol, I also need to be warm and quiet in order to get a good night's kip, otherwise I wake up doing a good impersonation of Blakey from On The Buses.
What I don't want to do is spunk a load of dough on a van which is neither warm nor well sound insulated. Having said that if it fits the bill I don't mind spending past ten and maybe 20 big uns. The British camper van obsession looks set to continue through the 20s at least.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Can you sleep with ear plugs in? Otherwise by careful selection of where you stay and pitch you should be ok but they are never silent. Kipping in a lay-by you'll still get woken up by some bloke banging on the side asking if you want to sell diesel, buy anything or have a woman....
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I reckon building one is the way forward to get what you want. You'll be able to make a tidy profit whenever you come to sell too. There'll be tons of advice on here to deal with almost all the aspects. I've been caravanning for over fifteen years now and dealt with most problems and been all over the country on different types of sites. Very quiet caravan club ones to the big theme park type.
There's not many problems a basic tool kit and a bit of common sense won't solve. I used to keep pliers, cable ties, screwdrivers, insulation tape stashed away. Nine times out of ten there'll be a decent shop on site anyway to but the stuff you need.
A decent awning will also double your living space and give you somewhere to kick your shoes off and chill.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

The last awning I had was one of those expensive at the time inflatable ones. I wasn't impressed in the slightest. It pissed in and the tubes kept going down in places. Buy a nylon one with fibreglass poles traditional one.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I built the interior of mine but somewhat overspecified it, MDF over a wooden frame. It weighs a fucking ton.
I mocked it up first using cardboard boxes which probably confirmed to the neighbours that I'm weird, after all who builds a camper interior out of cardboard?
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

chadders wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:58 am I mocked it up first using cardboard boxes which probably confirmed to the neighbours that I'm weird, after all who builds a camper interior out of cardboard?
Most of the factories from what I've seen of the damn things.
Private signature, do not read