The shape of things to come

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: The shape of things to come

Post by SiC »

While there is a contingent of very wealthy contingent of individuals owning classic cars and who have influences over the law making process, I don't think we need to worry about old cars being outlawed completely on the roads.

What may become difficult in the future will be obtaining the fuels and oils necessary to run them. I can very much envisage needing a licence in the future to be allowed to decant volatile liquids. The fact any person over the age of 16 can do it now, will seem crazy to future generations.

My belief is that we are in very much in the best golden age of internal combustion engines. Cheap to buy, cheap to fuel, easy to get parts for, relative freedom to drive where you like on the public highway and little oversight (i.e. the car not dobbing you in or restricting) on what you are doing.

Already the average electric cars that are relatively affordable have real world performance much in excess of the high performance internal combustion cars. Legislation is being put in place to restrict our speeds automatically and cars are having more logging than ever to say what you've been doing if the police so wish to find out.

Also I have noticed that the younger generation is starting to see the car as socially unacceptable in places of high population density. Especially vehicles chucking out noxious fumes in those areas.

TL;DR The tide is turning, but for the driver of the older vehicle we have got a while yet to be worried.
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

Junkman wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:48 pm
Dr Fraud wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:25 pm
Junkman wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 11:50 am Imagine how pleasant it will be once those stinking diesels have been banned once and for all.
Hey, old Rudolf's engine was absolutely fine, until they started adding all sorts of unnecessary parts to it !
It wasn't fine, it isn't fine, and it won't ever be fine.
As soon as they are banned, I will finally be able to breath easily.
Through a couple of inches of tobacco?
OMG U OK HUN?
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

So all major cities will have an LEZ zone, forcing me not to be able to drive there? Bring it on asap please.
OMG U OK HUN?
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

CLINT wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:54 pm
Junkman wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:48 pm
Dr Fraud wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:25 pm

Hey, old Rudolf's engine was absolutely fine, until they started adding all sorts of unnecessary parts to it !
It wasn't fine, it isn't fine, and it won't ever be fine.
As soon as they are banned, I will finally be able to breath easily.
Through a couple of inches of tobacco?
Yes, I might burn a few tobacco leaves. Which means everyone gets killed in the grand scheme of things.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

I was surprised that for a car which reports you to the police should you have an accident, the new Mercedes belonging to someone I know allowed it's 'Key' to be cloned from within his house and couldn't discern that it was being nicked. The car wasn't recovered and it makes me wonder whose side the makers are on. Luckily it hasn't resulted in the sale of another new Merc.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

CLINT wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 6:56 pm So all major cities will have an LEZ zone, forcing me not to be able to drive there? Bring it on asap please.
Unlike most of Europe, the UK government does this a bit differently. Instead of banning, the UK government does what it loves best, it taxes you instead. You can still drive into these low emission zones, you just have to pay for the privilege.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

The sooner the foul diesels go, the better. A ban can't happen soon enough. Diesel has no place in road transport. The inventor tragically committed suicide, it has been suggested because he realised the adverse consequences of his design.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

I like diesels and the freedom of choice they give you with fuels. My last 500 miles cost me nothing, how much did you spend on lung cancer, er sorry I mean cigarettes in that time? ☺

(I appreciate diesels probably also give you lung cancer, I'm being ironic)
OMG U OK HUN?