MGB GT fettling

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Re: V50 Shenanigans

Post by CLINT »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:58 pm That's probably the way it's looking to tbh. Just wish I could sort the running issue to sell it privately. Saw Ashley earlier and he reckons it's a 2 to 2 1/4k car if it's fully sorted.
Only on his pitch though. Think the mileage would put people off unless it's cheap
OMG U OK HUN?
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

I've got the VIDA 2014D software, but not the DiCE cable or whatever they call it. I just use the I part of it which is the parts catalogue for looking up 300 stuff.

The only cable/interface I have at the moment is a Chinese knock-off Honda Interface Module (HIM) which I have used for looking up codes on the Jizz with the Honda Diagnostic Software (HDS). Got it within a few days from Hong Kong and DHL took 30 euro off me for the tax/handling. Supplied CD ROM was full of shite, so got a clean copy of the software elsewhere.

If fucking about with newfangled tosh it's worthwhile getting a cheap quality used laptop.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

CLINT wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:59 pm
Scruffy Bodger wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:58 pm That's probably the way it's looking to tbh. Just wish I could sort the running issue to sell it privately. Saw Ashley earlier and he reckons it's a 2 to 2 1/4k car if it's fully sorted.
Only on his pitch though. Think the mileage would put people off unless it's cheap
It is a bit high but they seem to still be asking strong money for them. The prices have barely dropped since I bought it. https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-detail ... 020&page=1

There's a rough one on there with more miles and fucked seat that they are looking for 1700 for. That's why I thought 55 quid on an alternator was worth a punt.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Eddie Honda wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:12 pm I've got the VIDA 2014D software, but not the DiCE cable or whatever they call it. I just use the I part of it which is the parts catalogue for looking up 300 stuff.

The only cable/interface I have at the moment is a Chinese knock-off Honda Interface Module (HIM) which I have used for looking up codes on the Jizz with the Honda Diagnostic Software (HDS). Got it within a few days from Hong Kong and DHL took 30 euro off me for the tax/handling. Supplied CD ROM was full of shite, so got a clean copy of the software elsewhere.

If fucking about with newfangled tosh it's worthwhile getting a cheap quality used laptop.
A lad I know that happens to drive past my place twice a day now is a mechanic. He reckons he can borrow the work snap on kit and plug it in on the way by.

I don't do new stuff tbh. I only bought this as it was ridiculously cheap and took a punt. It was a non starter but cured it by cleaning the main chassis earth, the other issues not so much lol.

I've read the software for such stuff is riddled with malware and you should always use a laptop exclusively for diagnostics.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Full beam has fixed itself overnight :roll: :lol:
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:30 am I don't do new stuff tbh.
Same here, but the trouble is new stuff is getting old and old stuff is getting very old. I'd like to avoid it, but it's hard not to these days.

Fortunately, I don't have to drag the laptop out to the car very much if at all, because Honda.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:06 pm Full beam has fixed itself overnight :roll: :lol:
You mean you turned the headlight switch to dipped?

I recall a couple of customers coming back with new Volvos saying mainbeam didn't latch as they had the headlight switich off so only had dipped beam as running lights not dipped beam.
Private signature, do not read
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

I bet the same people didn't know they came with indicator stalks...
OMG U OK HUN?
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Hooli wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:45 pm
Scruffy Bodger wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:06 pm Full beam has fixed itself overnight :roll: :lol:
You mean you turned the headlight switch to dipped?

I recall a couple of customers coming back with new Volvos saying mainbeam didn't latch as they had the headlight switich off so only had dipped beam as running lights not dipped beam.
Nope. It's set up differently as you say. I end up just leaving the switch in the headlamps on position and leaving it there :P The clicking I heard the other night has gone from the passenger footwell too!
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

It did seem stupid though, as far as I could tell the only difference moving the switch to dipped made was the main beam latch started working.
Private signature, do not read