Mk4 Golf

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
fried onions

Re: Mk4 Golf

Post by fried onions »

Jazoli wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:59 pm
AutoshiteBoy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:29 pmVAG SHITE.
Nice to see an intelligent reply on here.
But that is an intelligent reply, because nobody with more than one functioning brain cell would willingly drive one of the Wolfsburg shitbags.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

A bloke at work has got one on an 04 plate (I think) he's had it since new & it's not needed much more than two front wings.

Bland, dull, awful colour dashboard but works as a car.
Private signature, do not read
I am not Diesel
Location: Knocking one out to the free 10 minutes on Babestation.

Post by I am not Diesel »

fried onions wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:03 pm
Jazoli wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:59 pm
AutoshiteBoy wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:29 pmVAG SHITE.
Nice to see an intelligent reply on here.
But that is an intelligent reply, because nobody with more than one functioning brain cell would willingly drive one of the Wolfsburg shitbags.
I drive 2 Wolfsburg shit bags. I used my functioning brain cell to vote for you in the moderators election. However I am not offended. I respect your opinion.
quietside

Post by quietside »

I remember when the Mk4 GT TDIs were new.

For many of my friends it seemed like their first 'proper' car, and then all the purple bullshit about them being 'proper Q cars' started.

I never saw what the fuss was about. They just drove like any other eurohatch except they had a bit of poke in third. The way my mates were going on it was like their cars were capable of time travel. Mk4s always felt strangely disconnected to me; the front turned in OK but the rear end sulked. I have blue/yellow colourblindness so can't read a fucking thing on the dashboard at night. I nearly bought a Mk1 Leon a few years ago which to me is just the best bits of a Mk4 with all the tedious 'just a quality car' cuntery removed. I have a 5F Leon now and it is a great 'an car.' Boring as fuck, but useful.

At the peak of their Golf wankery my friends were fully indoctrinated as far as blindly stating 'they're German so they're bomb proof'. My 306 outlasted two of the Golfs bought by friends and the third had seriously rotten front wings by the time it was 6 years old.

Golfs are perfectly serviceable little runarounds but why anyone ascribes any more to them than that is beyond me.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

You see the rows and rows of rusted Mark 5 Golfs at the big breakers I go to. Front wings, rear sills, scabby old pigs. You may be better off with a Megane tbh.

Mark 4's were well finished but the original Focus was a much better drive. They're old shit now as well.
Bangernomics

Post by Bangernomics »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote:You see the rows and rows of rusted Mark 5 Golfs at the big breakers I go to. Front wings, rear sills, scabby old pigs. You may be better off with a Megane tbh.

Mark 4's were well finished but the original Focus was a much better drive. They're old shit now as well.
I went on a weekend for the launch of the original focus, blasting around my childhood backroads around delamere and oulton Park. They were absolutely amazing little things, they had some with traction/stability/madness control where you could pile into a roundabout about 50% too fast (we were trying to break them) and they just went round somehow.

The cougars were also done on the same route, against 406 2.0 coupes where the cougars were 2.5’s. I still took the 406 round druids whilst passing the fluffy tached salesmen in the inside. Cougars were shite.

The waiting list on a booted ghia was madness but the local taxi guys lapped them up in 2.0 petrol form too??

Less annoying tag line.
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

The 3rd generation Golf was passable, anything beyond that is just shite. An Astra for those who are scared of what people think of them and/or too much money relative to sense. Dreadful things. Buy a Corolla or a Civic if its ultimate reliability you want. If its a EuroDimbulb, you want, by an Astra and spend your money on a good time.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

AutoshiteBoy wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:05 pm The 3rd generation Golf was passable, anything beyond that is just shite. An Astra for those who are scared of what people think of them and/or too much money relative to sense. Dreadful things. Buy a Corolla or a Civic if its ultimate reliability you want. If its a EuroDimbulb, you want, by an Astra and spend your money on a good time.
I'd have a Golf mk4 over a poxy Astra any day.

My experience of buying a 2 to 5 year old car in 2005:
Focus MK1 interiors are shit. Astra G are grim. Astra H look alright but seats god awful. Alfa 147 was nice but never could get one that wasn't broken in some way at 3-4yrs old. Really wanted one. Golf MK4 was a good car but couldn't bring myself to have one due to their drearyness - also expensive and old for the same money as other stuff. Leon MK1 interiors pretty grim. Corolla had nothing to go for. Mégane II felt flimsy - most had broken handbrakes. Pug 307 were all broken in some way.

Ended up with a Mk7 2003 Civic 3door. Not exciting but did 45mpg regularly and did 100k without fault. Got me through uni alright that one.

My experience of buying a 2 to 5 year old car in 2012:
Focus MK2 interior average. Astra H utterly boring but decently sharp exterior however shit seats. Alfa 147 was getting on a bit. Golf Mk5 really nice to drive, good fit and finish and excellent NVH but again couldn't bring myself to getting a Golf. Leon MK2 interior was a lazy piece of shit design. Octavia MK2 was for old men. Auris had nothing going for it either and too slow. Mégane III would have awful depreciation. Pug 308 don't know why it exists.

Ended up with a mk8 2007 Civic. Excellent all round car - practical, good performance and solidly reliable. Mine was written off in 2018, got back cheap and gave to in-laws. Got back last week and now Purplebargeken has it.
Conrad D. Conelrad

Post by Conrad D. Conelrad »

Bangernomics wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:42 pm I think under the bonnet was the shiniest part before the buffer man won it.
I detailed the engine bay.

(jet washed it and then sprayed contact cleaner on all the connectors until the CEL went out)
Jazoli

Post by Jazoli »

Conrad D. Conelrad wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:13 pm
Bangernomics wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:42 pm I think under the bonnet was the shiniest part before the buffer man won it.
I detailed the engine bay.

(jet washed it and then sprayed contact cleaner on all the connectors until the CEL went out)
CEL was/is a failing/failed SAI pump, it squeeked its last breath this morning, new one on order for £30, typical VAG fucking shite, its only lasted 19 years as its the original part.
CBA