What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Re: What did you do today?

Post by paulplom »

Took the van back to the garage again today. The transit expert was too busy to take it out the last time. Today I called when they were all on their dinner (stagger them perhaps?) so no dice again.
He did say bring it back next week as they were going to be much quieter. I said champion, I mean champion not that you're quiet, I mean champion you can fit it in.
The gearbox is getting more vocal and I'm rather worried. Soon the general public will be able to hear it and they'll stare. I know I would.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Washed the car. It's needed doing for a while but, I had a serious case of the 'couldn't be arseds' due to the weather and then its disasterous visit to the garage on Monday. It was not only dirty but covered in little rusty specs all over the bonnet and front bumper/grill. So somebody has been grinding near the front of it but who? the only place its been is the garage and no one has been grinding owt hereabouts.

Still, a strong right thumbnail and most of them have gone but paranoia has set in (who'd have thought that old insane David would suffer that?) so if it dries overnight, doesn't rain tomorrow and the lockdown police all keep their distance, I shall polish the front of the old girl, show her that even though she's an utter cow and really deserves a trip to the scrapyard, I still love her... Who would have thought that you could get little rusty fleks all over plastic (bumper, grills etc), perhaps it's Mercedes by BL in spirit if nothing else.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I had to fix the old rack on my bike once when it snapped. Ever since grinding and and arc welding it I've had small rusty flecks on the titanium can. I've left them to prove I can make anything go rusty.
Private signature, do not read
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

xtriple wrote: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:39 pm Washed the car. It's needed doing for a while but, I had a serious case of the 'couldn't be arseds' due to the weather and then its disasterous visit to the garage on Monday. It was not only dirty but covered in little rusty specs all over the bonnet and front bumper/grill. So somebody has been grinding near the front of it but who? the only place its been is the garage and no one has been grinding owt hereabouts.

Still, a strong right thumbnail and most of them have gone but paranoia has set in (who'd have thought that old insane David would suffer that?) so if it dries overnight, doesn't rain tomorrow and the lockdown police all keep their distance, I shall polish the front of the old girl, show her that even though she's an utter cow and really deserves a trip to the scrapyard, I still love her... Who would have thought that you could get little rusty fleks all over plastic (bumper, grills etc), perhaps it's Mercedes by BL in spirit if nothing else.
There is a new Autoglym product called Magma. It's really good at removing iron and rust off paintwork
OMG U OK HUN?
I am not Diesel
Location: Knocking one out to the free 10 minutes on Babestation.

Post by I am not Diesel »

When I was doing a lot of grinding and cutting on my old trailer at the front of the house, I managed to get rust specks embedded in the adjacent UPVC window ledge. Still not popular over that.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Neither am I (still) over the "spray-paint the 6ft fence panels next to the conservatory" episode. And that was 6 years ago.....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Buoyed by my success yesterday, I polished the bonnet and removed all those nasty little specks of rust, if only the rust underneath was so easily removed! Then as I do to all my cars I did the yearly waxoyl of the inner arches and stuff. It felt a tad silly doing an epic job (peeling back all the undertrays and arch liners to spray the wax in those all important little places) when the subframe is (not so) quietly festering away...
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

At least it should mean there is something left to bolt the replacement subframe too.
Private signature, do not read
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Hooli wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:24 pm At least it should mean there is something left to bolt the replacement subframe too.
Arsehole!

True though... :oops:
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

A mate of mine has been working on a little car project for the past two years. He finally got it running and took me out for a spin in it today.

It was mental/amazing/out of control and I want one!

He has managed to shoe horn an eco boost engine out of a Ford ST into the front of his (2nd?j gen Miata (MX5).
He had to use a ford motor racing engine management module and that gave it another 20 plus bhp. It has around 270bhp and a little over 350ftlb of torque.

It still has the normal width Mazda wheels on it so on the back road of work we did an accelerated slide to the left, corrected and then the right as the back end tried to jettison us down the road as fast as possible. And even with the sliding it went like a scolded cat!

I was really surprised that the turbo felt more like a supercharger, but apparently it’s really small and comes in really early on the engine. Wish he was making kits for it! Before selling off the spares he has that came with the various cars / parts, he’s only into it for $5k too (but 2 years of head scratching and spanner time).
https://forums.mnautox.com/forum/main-f ... iata/page9