Mk4 Golf

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
I am not Diesel
Location: Knocking one out to the free 10 minutes on Babestation.

Mk4 Golf

Post by I am not Diesel »

It must be nearly 17 years since the Mk4 Golf was discontinued but I can't help but notice how many are still on the road. I'm seeing lots of X & Y plate models as well as later ones. Are they that sturdy? They're not my favourite Golf by a long shot, they look blobby and I wouldn't know a Gti from a 1.6D.
My missus had one a few years back, it was OK apart from the window glasses dropping into the doors and the HVAC system being shit.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Re: Mk4 Golf

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

They’re better than the Mark 5. But that’s not difficult.
Conrad D. Conelrad

Post by Conrad D. Conelrad »

I had this one for two months.

golf.jpg
golf.jpg (233.03 KiB) Viewed 3702 times

It was thoroughly underwhelming. It was slower than I expected a two litre hatchback to be, much slower, the handling was wholly disappointing and the interior quality was so poor that my current Rover 45 felt like a real upgrade - and the drivers seat fell apart on that. It averaged 30mpg, and was in the £320 tax band and my insurance company almost doubled my premium on renewal.

I have also noticed a large number of them still on the roads, so there must be something good about them. I think it's the cupholders, which were excellent. Also, who can really hate a car with gas struts on the bonnet?
Bazfr69

Post by Bazfr69 »

We still have loads of Mk4 diesels knocking around over here. They certainly seem sturdy but I prefer the V by a mile. In GTI flavour at least, I have no diesel experience to draw on.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I had an x reg 1.4 petrol. Very, very boring and slow. I can't even remember what colour it was. Probably silver though.
It did have nice dash lights iirc.
If fact it might have been an '02. My 306 was an x reg. That had a colour and was metallic burgundy.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Not quite a Golluf but there's a '95 Passat 2.0 (manual estate) near me with very clean MOT history which I hear tell may soon be up for sale. As I know nothing about front-engined VAG shit, might this be worth me considering as a winter barge?
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Bangernomics

Mk4 Golf

Post by Bangernomics »

Second the underwhelming experience of the VW golem. Yiddish plate was amusing to my former in-laws (I know I kept them as part of the settlement). OY Vey, it’s the number plate they proclaimed which was the pinnacle of the excitement it generated.

Nice to cruise around in whilst feeling like a low rent drug dealer, it’s a nice enough place to sit, it also swallowed a fridge freezer on its final journey into oblivion too so relatively practical.

Less annoying tag line.
Just when I thought I was out they dragged me back in.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

A passat would make a good winter beater I would imagine. I think the passat had a front engine but was mounted inline. Or it was in my P reg 1.9 tdi a4 avant.
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

5s have fist sized, BMW levels, of front wing rot.
Bad door looms, also the scourge of the 4's.
Manky interiors, the soft touch plastic degrades as soon as it's touched, with a slightly oily finger.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

They're fucking rubbish.

Auris, Civic......not a Golf mark 5.