What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: What did you do today?

Post by SiC »

paulplom wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 12:42 pm Should it be stored with the roof up or down?
Up.

Having it down will get spider webs and droppings, dust and debris all in the interior. If the garage roof leaks, it'll ruin the interior too. Leaving hoods down for long periods stop them stretched into shape and makes them difficult to close again until reshaped. Also end up leaving crease marks in the hood too.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I'd also put that heavy looking jack on the floor well away from the car. Not only may the hooks fail and fall on the car, it could leak it's jack oil down the side of the car.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

I've let the windows down a bit and closed the roof. The garage itself is bone dry. The jack is a three and a half tonner for the van. I wonder why the cunts didn't pinch it. It's been hung up there about five years. I can't get to it now ffs.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Might be teaching to suck eggs, but have you left it in gear with the handbrake off? Also pump the tyres up quite high (40psi usually - check sidewalls for absolute max you must keep under) to try preventing flat spots.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Yup in gear, hand brake off. The tryes are at 32 psi (meant to be 28). Higher than standard. I pumped them above normal when I went on a long run to Morcambe. I wanted to get there and back on one tank.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Oh and finally, if it's going to be more than a month sitting, I'd disconnect the battery negative. No electronics in that age MX5 to draw power when off but most radios are enough to flatten it after a couple of months and likely still powered.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

All good advice. I store my T25 for the winter and the Minor most of the time at present....

Two or three additional things that I do are leaving a gap behind the car so that you can if desired move it physically to stop the tyres flat spotting. I shunt mine each way every couple of weeks (pressures can go to 50psi on my tyres). I also re-connect the battery periodically and put current through all of the car's electrics. That way you can also spot a failed bulb or circuit before you need to use the car.

Lastly if you can isolate the ignition but leave the battery in circuit (pull coil connections maybe) it is worth spinning the engine every couple of weeks to keep the oil in circulation. Also worth writing a list of stuff that could be fettled in situ but most of my lists remain unticked until I get it back out again!
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

My understanding has been to leave the roof up but the windows open a bit for ventilation.
I think the logic behind this is the roof doesn't get creased from being folded, it's waterproof if the ceiling leaks and air can circulate to prevent mould. One of those dehumidifier 'sachets' would probably help as well.

I've always run MGB back and forth every couple of weeks and let the engine get up to temp, it stops the clutch and brakes sticking and seems to put enough power back into the battery for the next start.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Different schools of thought. Personally I prefer not to run them up as there is increased wear from cold oil and also rich mixture getting fuel into the oil.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

The garage is 15 miles away. I doubt I'll see it again till April and it's time to get it out again. The battery is in the back of the van ready for a smart charge. The little fucker flattened it and protest. I emptied the garage and went to put it away and it wouldn't charge. Luckily my mate turned up to get his out the garage and gave me a jump. The alternator belt was squealing it's tits of so I reckon that's the problem. You think they know.