Never mind the Gas Crisis heres the Wobstang!

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
8BAK465

Never mind the Gas Crisis heres the Wobstang!

Post by 8BAK465 »

Ok many of you will know the story so I will just summerize here a synopsis if you like?

so over the years ive always had all manner of shady vehicles that didnt fit in with the Keeping Up with The Jones from old Mercs,Paper Mache Vans (you would swear most of it was!) Old,Minis,Fords etc and yes I have had newer daily drivers but ive allways had something old manky and interesting in my life too!

So I decided as we went into 2017 I must have the bucket list car I has allways wanted a Ford Mustang,but not just any Mustang I wanted the most unloved the Mustang II from 1974-78 The Baby Stang ,The Gas Crisis Stang :D

So the search began and I joined the Mustang Owners Club for advice and they advised me that things had changed since I lusted after one in the 80's................................

They had gone from being an cheap Yank Banger for a Grand or so in tidy condition to £5k+ for a smouldering pile of rusty shite as there were not many left now here and those that were had been happily rusting away in Blighty with their bike chain RHD conversions that hadnt improved with age :(

So I bought the best Value Mustang money can buy a 1995 SN95 Model in Big Bird Yellow!

So from just March 2017 thru to November 17 I owned "Lexy"

Amazing motor loads of torque and very reliable and surprizingly good fuel economy!

But the reason I only owned Lexy for 8 months was ?????

Never take second best when it comes to a bucket list car get the one you always promised yourself!

So I sold Lexy on 25th November 17 and by 22nd December 17 I had bought my dream Bucket List car,now effectionatly known as Shitey :-*

Remembering what others had said I bought one from its homeland I purchased Shitey sight unseen for $3000 (about £2100 then) from Sacremento in the state of Californiashite ;)

Shortly he was as leaving the West Coast leaving his sunshades behind for a new life in Blighty in the Damp and Dreary hamlet of Wiltshire..............................

Then as Rod Stewart proclaimed he was Sailing!

Three months later he had failed to sink and arrived on a large Vauxhall.............

And was soon evicted

[youtube][/youtube]

And so it was little Shitey came to live in the shite Kingdom of Great Eurobox :P

Once here you all know the story we tried to start and he promptly set light to his own engine wiring loom >:D

His Tires fell to bits,The Carpet became powder the Headliner gave up a rodent and his bathroom!

So much wiring,and cleaning later an eviction of over 200 dead Wasps and multiple nests, plus the odd dead yet poisoness spider later Shitey Won the MOT game and gained his V5 UK Citizenship 8D

He still looks a shed and drinks like Oliver Read and George Best combined but I love to mucky little shit!

Its only now when I look back I realise how much he has improved even though he doesnt look that different He has come soo far and will acheive great things this coming year...............................................

Recent updates to follow

Jo
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
8BAK465

Re: Never mind the Gas Crisis heres the Wobstang!

Post by 8BAK465 »

He will look "Better" at some point :roll:

I say better in the sense he is never being restored as such more out back into service to look like how he would of done had the little bugger not been run into the ground over there :(

Guy I bought him from fitted a new engine in 2016 a fully rebuilt block as the original had thrown a rod some 10 years earlier and the car then lived in a farmers barn in Sacremento until he discovered the car

Hence why its got a whacking crease in the rear fender as once he paid the deposit to pick it up later that week the farmer decided he wanted his barn space back so used a fork lift to move it :o

Its not a fender bender as the frame is strait as an arrow,though I suspect its had a small FB in the past on the drivers front as that fender has been replaced.

Car was originally Factory Silver then had a cheap blowover in Blue sometime in the 80's/90's because the Cali sun had ruined the paint :(

Then when it was rescued that blue paint had gone past its best so was rattled canned to protect it so im told in walmarts finest off the shelf paint.

Paint is horrible its going to be silver again,im using 1k.I have been told the UV will bleach it after a few years but hey that the look im after,a survivor car that was never painted so use cheaper 1k and let nature finish "the Look" for me ;)

The car has a special history I discovered but I just want it to be a survivor not a concours resto,back in late 73 when the II was launched for the 74 model year you could only get a 2.8 V6 or a smaller 2.3 inline 4 because of the gas crisis.....................

The Yanks were outraged at no V8!

But in 75 the V8 was introduced and a handfull were made in base model in Silver with a Blue Ghia Like Interior trim package for the v8 launch and key dealerships had them for launch day and then as demos,Shitey is one of those cars!

Assigned to the main dealer in Los Angeles and produced just a few days into V8 production :D

So there you have it..............................
[For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

So after removing the Coffee,Oil,Rat Piss stained rotted carpet it was a sorry sight :oops:

So then this happened as shipment arrived at Wobstang Towers from Sweet Home Alabama :P

Ooo the aroma of Sweet Meadows and Hallucinogenic Glue fill the air as the shipment was opened but it looks promising :)

Lets let it out and breath its been a long journey!!

Spot the difference to the old one????????????????????????????

But hey weather is nice so lets do this ;)

as the car is currently so lets get it cleared out!

Floorpan still needs painting and new Sound Deadening but it wont make a good deal of difference as its only a few mm thick.

Plan is fit it cutting out the basic holes but leaving seat belt holes until after the sound deadening is added as the holes on the horizontal surfaces will still be the same bit the vertical holes may move a little??????????

To be continued........................
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

First Basic Fit need to trim holes bigger (And get more Stanley Blades!)
Im just going to let it sit in the sun to settle first :)

Need to come towards the drivers door a bit as the heel pad is creeping up the Transmission Tunnel :(

I need to nip out to do some shopping so will get back to it later......................

its all Very Blue!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

So still not finished fitting this carpet is very time consuming and Blades! I wonder if I can buy shares in Stanley?

Anyway had my first mishap im a little upset about :(

This is the rear bracket for the centre console and I cut too much of the carpet away :(

Handbrake came out ok

As did my Shifter

Looks mess but once the bezel is over it.....................

Managed to trim the drivers footwell a bit and added the kick panel to test fit and its all coming good :D

And even the heel pad sits down nice now :mrgreen:

Im really pissed about how messy the cut around that bracket is but that said once the centre console is back in you cant see my feck up ;)

In all honesty its probably going to take me all week before its finished I just do a little bit then walk away from it had I not of tried to do too much when I did that bracket cut I wouldnt of messed it up,so from now on a bit at a time :roll:
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Well its taken best part of a week as I have had to let the carpet settle before making some of the cuts and a few trips to B&Q as the carpet is that thick it has an apetite for fresh blades!

Only thing left to do is Seat Belt mounting holes,this was only really to cut the holes and let it settle into shape as the instructions advise doing this if its not going to be fitted right away as leaving it in the box can lead to the mounding contours being lost :(

So itll stay in there for another week or so before being stored again whilst i paint the floorpan,do sound deadening a headliner.

But minus the seatbelts this is how it turned out :)

And Finally this can go to the tip!

Flipped the old one over to show how much of a mess it really was!

The rearmost strip that had been hidden under the rear squab for 40 odd years was like new so I rescued that bit to line the glovebox and keep a little part of the original with the car ;)

Plus the big hole in the middle was a shittiest bit which I cut out as a reminder of how bad it once was!

fried onions

Post by fried onions »

Good work Jo looking nice.
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
Junkman

Post by Junkman »

We need a 'like' button.
Supply Chain Disruption

1957 DKW 3=6 Sonderklasse
1967 Renault 16 GL
1983 Renault 4 TL
2001 Mercedes E240
2002 Datsun Dice
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Junkman wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:59 pm We need a 'like' button.
I'm working on it. But having a night off from thankless tasksTM tonight.
Private signature, do not read
8BAK465

Post by 8BAK465 »

Can we also have a "keep logged in Facility?"

I will tranfare over a bit more of this,not everything but the major bits ;)