What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: What did you do today?

Post by SiC »

Have you tested the battery? Might be still serviceable and only chucking it out on age as wanted one in tip-top shape.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Started checking out trailer over as we need to use it for the holiday, adjusted the brakes on one wheel and greased the bearings up, went to the other side and the drum was stuck like when it catches on the shoes, except it isn't doing. Right bugger to get it off.
No lip on the drum, the oil seal has gone that holds the grease in so I'm hoping it was stuck on that but I need to have a good look at the stub axle and make sure there aren't any ridges on it that were catching.

Also ran out of carb cleaner and brake cleaner so I need to get more today for when the new seal arrives and i can strip it again to put it in.
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

After getting the title sorted (ownership document, previous was in Mississippi) which was a bit more expensive than planned- I had called the DMV when I first got the car and said that I didn't need to get it on the road yet, do I need to do all the title and registration immediately, they said to wait.
Well, turns out there's a 40 day limit on doing so. That was almost 2 years ago. So, some bullshit fees, interest, other miscellaneous money and I'm $886 lighter but hold a valid temporary title (new one comes from the main office and is mailed).
Decided hell with it after speaking with insurance and putting it on the baseline legal minimum (3rd party only) insurance ($28, one month up front) went back to the DMV and registered it ($20).

Admittedly it was fun to put the wheel back on then try to adjust the brakes up a bit and find the damn adjuster is locked solid. Pulled the hub nut off, brake drum and wheel together, pulled the adjuster out and then realized I had never done anything to it. Freed it off and refitted, did a rudimentary adjustment and got "just enough" pedal.

Spent the next half hour removing all the boards I had put up on the garage doors before the last storm and pushed the doors open which gave a welcome breeze.

Pretty picture of the car yes. 33c yes. I was sweating buckets! Still, took the car for a run up and down the street a bit. Front end is more loose than a $10 hooker. The lower bearing in the steering box is shot, all the rubber bushes in the front wishbones too. So that lot needs doing. Makes it so a little bit of the drunken wander at low speed over bumps and undulations.

Other than that it was running well. Sounds like I've got a bit of swarf in one of the gearbox clutches because on gentle gear changes 2nd and 4th do the squeaky squeaky squeeeeaaky as the clutch engages. Ho hum. I'll see if that wears down and shuts up, else the gearbox gotta come apart again.

Ran up to hot. Fuel system does get a bit of vapor lock if it's left to idle, solved by running the electric pump so that's workable.

So really now, just need to blitz the brakes, think about a bushing set for the front suspension, couple pieces of door glass, fix the driver's side door card, rewire the battery to the boot and it's good to go.

Might actually make October...

And I think it may well be getting aircon in the future.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Registration over there includes a road tax type fee doesn't it?
Private signature, do not read
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

Hooli wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 5:13 pm Registration over there includes a road tax type fee doesn't it?
Yeah. One time fees to transfer title of ownership (like a house, ownership has to be filed with the state), interest based upon the sale value of the vehicle etc. Stays at home in a safe place.

Registration is the closest equivalent to road tax as-was; annual fee if you want to register the car for use on the street and that gives you the stamped metal plate to put on the back of the car (the same as the tax disc used to have a unique serial number on it and an expiration, so does the plate) and if you take it off the road you turn the plate back in. You also have a slip of paper with each issuance of plate (or renewal sticker) that has to be kept in the vehicle that has all the details of the registration on.

Insurance, you have to carry proof of valid insurance with the car.

Inspection, same idea as an MoT, gets you a sticker in the front window with an annual expiration.

License, you have to carry your license (now a plastic credit card thing) if you are driving to show you are legally entitled to drive the vehicle.

Hence, when you see cop stopping someone in the movies "Licence, insurance and registration", they're looking to see that the details match and the vehicle is allowed to be on the road and you're allowed to drive it.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

The downside to the keep-in-the car system is, like my sister in Ontario, you get your car stolen and before you come out of work and find out they have already driven to the address on the documents and emptied it.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
PhilA

Post by PhilA »

mercrocker wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 6:47 pm The downside to the keep-in-the car system is, like my sister in Ontario, you get your car stolen and before you come out of work and find out they have already driven to the address on the documents and emptied it.

Yup. I don't make the rules though, sadly.

Some states already addressed this and made the registration a card sized thing that your carry in your wallet with you, that negates having to keep it in the car. You keep all your hard copies in your pocket.

Phil
Pontac Cheepten
Plymmut Furey
RetroShite

Post by RetroShite »

[youtube][/youtube]

Changed the pulley on my mower for top speed and now it really flies! I have loads to be getting on with but spent most of the night fucking about with this instead.
dean36014

Post by dean36014 »

Been working on the van. Offside window frame rebuilt, nearside door reskinned. New bottom arms, inner and outer track rods, nearside driveshaft, front shocks and a visa bumper to match the headlights. It's a scruffy van but spoilt and I love it!
Attachments
IMG_20200802_133421.jpg
IMG_20200802_133421.jpg (463.59 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
IMG_20200718_122021.jpg
IMG_20200718_122021.jpg (376.07 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
IMG_20200718_085356.jpg
IMG_20200718_085356.jpg (425.42 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
IMG_20200802_094656.jpg
IMG_20200802_094656.jpg (316.19 KiB) Viewed 3610 times
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

I've just shown my missus those pics. She loved that van but I didn't have the skills to repair it and the garage bills would have been in the thousands.
She's so happy that it's ended up with someone else who loves it but more importantly can also look after it.

(P.s. sorry for all the bodging but as you've probably gathered I'm pretty incompetent when it comes to cars and vans)

(P.p.s. if you do ever want to sell it please give us the first refusal)