What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
DodgeRover

Re: What did you do today?

Post by DodgeRover »

mercrocker wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:15 pm Yeah, I've been stocking up before face nappy day as well.....Trouble is I've just barbecued 3 days worth of meat cos gutty bastard......
Any recommendations as to where to buy a Confederate flag bandana at the moment because I'm not wearing my asbestos stripping mask to the supermarket....
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Hard to find at the mo....thanks to the usual suspects. I have just made do with a small rebel flag and folded it up myself. If I find something better I will PM you.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Bazfr69 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:42 pm I’m off work today and I’ve been mainly sitting around cultivating a strong desire to buy a classic Beetle while I might still be able to afford a half decent one.
Go stand in the corner and think about what you've done
Private signature, do not read
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

As for the fucking stupid mask thing, not a single petrol station has required them over here this week and the pubs aren't enforcing them much either.

Goes to show how many people have realised it's not anything like as serious as the media are pretending
Private signature, do not read
CLINT
Woke as fuck

Post by CLINT »

Good riddance to the unreliable heap. When cars start to give grief, get them gone.
Last edited by CLINT on Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OMG U OK HUN?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Drum wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 7:55 pm Sick SiC. :D

I get attached to vehicles too
I've got a Laguna II that I've barely used since I've had it. It has had two people interested in buying and I need to properly respond to. I have also promised Mrs SiC that I will sell it.

However I'm struggling to want to sell it, given it was my Grandads. I know that the next owner will just run it into the ground.

Its just a car ... Its just a car ... Its just a car ... Its just a car...
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Would your grandad want you to be stressed over his old car?

Neither of my sons have any interest in my MGB so I'm resigned that it'll be sold for a pittance and then scrapped when the rust finally wins. I accept that there's less chance of that happening than to the Laguna but the principle is the same.

It's their lives and just because something was mine it shouldn't be a burden to them.
Bazfr69

Post by Bazfr69 »

Hooli wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:36 pm
Bazfr69 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 5:42 pm I’m off work today and I’ve been mainly sitting around cultivating a strong desire to buy a classic Beetle while I might still be able to afford a half decent one.
I really want one though. I narrowed the choice down to a Beetle or MGB GT, both of which I loved as a kid but the Beetle is going to be outside my grasp sooner rather than later.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Bazfr69 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:49 am
Hooli wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:36 pm
I really want one though. I narrowed the choice down to a Beetle or MGB GT, both of which I loved as a kid but the Beetle is going to be outside my grasp sooner rather than later.
Both are crap to be honest. I had an MGB in yesterday and considering how few miles it does the cost of maintaining it is worse than the Bentley. It had a full resto about 20 years ago and has always been garaged and looked after since. In the last year the rear springs have finally sagged too much, the front anti roll bar links are worn out and one of the king pins has a load of play in it. This has done less than 10k miles since the resto and only a couple of hundred since last year. The carbs need rebuilding every year as it goes out of tune in no time. Just don't get me started on Beetles as they are on the list of cars I won't work on the hateful heaps of shit.
What you need is something interesting I might happen to know where there is a nice little DKW !
I wouldn't worry about Beetle and MGB prices as they have always been around 5k and never really go up or down like other classics so are pretty crap as an investment
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

In a similar though very different vein, I have my Grandad's watch. I remember him winding it every morning when I was but a tiny tot and it always fascinated me. He replaced it when I was about ten for a fancy smancy digital thing, do I need to say it's the old mechanical thing I've now got?

Amazingly, after 40 years unworn in a drawer it started straight up but I thought it best to have it cleaned/oiled/ whatever. It cost me a small fortune due to the fact it's VERY old and very obscure, in fact, it cost me about ten times what I could sell it for. It now sits in the watch box, unworn as it's pretty small, but I will love it for the rest of my life. I don't know if Kyle will keep it but you never know...