What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: What did you do today?

Post by mercrocker »

hmmmm.PNG
hmmmm.PNG (260.98 KiB) Viewed 3940 times
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
John F

Post by John F »

Heh heh heh... :lol:

On the road:
1998 Disco 4.0 V8 (manual)
1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 V6

Running but need fettling:

1986 Honda CBX750F
1991 Maserati 222 SE
1990 Yamaha XJ900F

Tax & MOT-exempt, woohoo!

1982 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Discovered how the 'brake assist' doofer works on my car, only had it 8 months! Brake normally and it brakes, er, normally. Stab at the pedal and it goes rock solid and retardation gets a tad frantic!

Also, just had the postman round (yes at 5:00 pm!) with a delivery of carbon fibre sheet. It was bought from eBay and was posted (allegedly) ten days ago. I whinged on Monday that it was conspicuous by its absence and it rolled up today.

Now you could say that it has just taken its time in the post, but the 24hour delivery label on the package sort of puts the lie to it.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

We've sent stuff 24 hour delivery that's taken over a week.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Cracked on with this again yesterday evening. Need to stop going to bed at 1am, not good for my long term health.

Back end jacked up. Not Porsche recommended place but everyone does it here.

Coolant drained - hex bolt in middle of photo.

Belt off

Genuine Porsche

Didn't look in bad condition at all

Water pump

Water pump off. The gasket on these are made in two sections. When doing just the pump, you break off the other section. This says to me the pump is likely original out of the factory. Or replaced when it had a rebuild at a Porsche dealer around 36k when it had IMS problems and the bearing+shafts replaced.

New shiny pump with gasket on

Useful tip I got from Car Wizard on YouTube to hold bolts on to sockets to stop them dropping out when fitting

New belt on.

Filled with some Mannol coolant. Probably have Porsche enthusiasts scream at me for not using genuine coolant. However this is £23 for 20litres and genuine is £12 per litre. Yeah...

Ended up putting in 10litres. Probably about right as I wasn't going for a full system drain. Full system is around 17 litres. Just hoping I get no air locks or similar. These mid engined Porsches are a bit notorious for being a pain in the arse to bleed. Didn't run up last night as it was late and I didn't want to wake the whole street up.

Got on to replacing the plugs and coils.

Quite easy on these but that also means they are quite exposed to environment being at the bottom and exposed.

Old plugs initially I was surprised at how worn the electrode was to the new ones. However googling NGK platinum plug images and it looks like they are like that new. So possibly that badly worn. Hard to tell.

Cleaned out another plastic panel that is a mudtrap. Thankfully they galvanized these properly but I can see these sort of areas being right trouble in 30 to 40 years time.

This was the mess left from just removing the panel.

Later today I hope to do the other coil packs and then fire up to bleed the cooling system. I'm hoping with the arse in the air, it should be easier to bleed. Many recommend using a vacuum bleeder but the official Porsche service manuals make no mention of it. So I'm hoping not to have to. Those bleeders aren't cheap, even in generic Chinese red boxed tools off eBay they are around £70 for a full set. Once that is done and if it goes all ok, I will replace the fuel filter that is mid section.

Then drop the car down and go for a drive!
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

Scared a Mercedes driver and myself so far.

The camper decided to run like a pig so a 3 point turn on the drive became a 37 point one, including the engine cutting out fuck knows how many times. On the road it decided that 2 cylinders needed a rest, until I came to a junction when another decided to join them just as a nearby Mercedes I hadn't seen for some reason, probably stupidity, was driving towards me as I pulled out.
He was then not happy being stuck behind a 400cc 2 ton VW belching black smoke and doing 10mph. There was room to pass though. :D
After a few minutes of full throttle it cleared and then ran fine. I presume that running it on the drive had sooted the plugs up and then confused the hell out of the auto choke.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

That sounds horrendous Chadders, mine used to piss about like that until I got the carb rebuilt. It will idle happily up until the cooling fan kicks in now, not that this is particularly good practice but it does help with winter storage excercise. Can you not kick the choke off earlier to stop it fouling so much or will it just not pick up at all then?
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
LynehamHerc

Post by LynehamHerc »

It just won't pick up.
It's got a rebuilt carb and this is the first time I've had problems in the six years it's been on.
I'm hoping to that this is a one off, it normally gets run every couple of weeks all year and this has never happened before.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Today was the day to start back on this little beauty. It is out of a tafic and was towed in the week before the lockdown. I pulled the engine out then things stalled as the builder it belongs to shut down. Last week he started back and it is time to get the van back on the road.
2020 291.JPG
2020 291.JPG (341.72 KiB) Viewed 3874 times
The reason for this mess is whoever "fixed" the van when a belt broke in the past was too tight to fit a new cam pulley. They just drilled it and put a roll pin in. Lots of threadlock as well for good measure. I am surprised it has lasted as long as it did. It does kind of explain why this van was always a little gutless as the hole is not quite in the right place making the timing out a fraction.
2020 294.JPG
2020 294.JPG (226.75 KiB) Viewed 3874 times
I obtained a secondhand laguna engine and now it is all going back together.
2020 295.JPG
2020 295.JPG (291.82 KiB) Viewed 3874 times
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

I had a series three 4.2 XJ many years ago that used to do the belching smoke and running like a pig when cold. I once got serious abuse from a cyclist as HE PASSED me! I went to the local scrappies and knicked all the various sensors I could find from one in the yard and replaced everything, one of them did the trick :)

It was most embarrassing until I fixed it.