Squire's voitures

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
fried onions

Squire's voitures

Post by fried onions »

All the back stories are elsewhere, here I am just going to have the one thread for all my cars.

The MO is for sale. This is proving to be a slow sell, not unexpectedly. I have been using it extensively to get my mileage out of it, the other day I changed the gearbox and back axle oil. Not the simplest of jobs due to the position of the filler apertures. The filler for the differential is horizontal and due to the casting collects grit and small stones around it, which are hard to clear out before removing the plug, so not the best. The drain plug is a tiny 3/16 Whitworth compared with 1/2 Whitworth for the gearbox.

It certainly seems even smoother and quieter now; I had left the change a bit beyond the stated 6000 miles. Today I adjusted the brakes with their snail cams, they only went one notch but this has really shortened the pedal travel and improved the handbrake. I also pulled out one of the KLG spark plugs and decided to give the SU jet adjusting nut 4 flats upwards, so I should see some economy gains improved from low 20's. I also painted the wheels and some other paint chips. Why is it I always start doing more work when I'm selling cars?
Squire Dawson

HUMBER - built stronger to last longer.
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Re: Squire's voitures

Post by BenHar »

Four flats sounds a lot? Were the plugs very black?

I tend to do them one flat at a time.

Ben
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

BenHar wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:22 pm Four flats sounds a lot? Were the plugs very black?

I tend to do them one flat at a time.

Ben
No, they were textbook grey. That's why I never bothered until now. But I suspected it was running a bit on the rich side (better too rich than too weak), as the fuel consumption has always been around the low-mid 20's. That's not too far off the mark but I believe it can be bettered now and the only difference to running so far is, that I have had to increase the engine idling speed. The Motor magazine reckoned 30 m.p.g. should be attainable. I'll be happy with mid-high 20's.

The engine is very much of its late 1940's time. No vacuum ignition advance, low power output for the displacement and relatively inefficient. But, it's an unstressed, tough old lump which runs very quietly and smoothly due to the side valve timing gears being in constant mesh, one being a fibre wheel. I like it, though it could really do with 10 bhp more, which is why some have (easily) been swapped for a B Series engine.

The Minor took 7 flats to get right, in addition to advancing the ignition timing by turning the distributor. This changed the petrol consumption figures from around 25 m.p.g. to well over 40 m.p.g. now. I lost a bit in acceleration but it otherwise motors the same.
Squire Dawson

Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I always thought when the revs started to drop that meant too lean? But it has been a while since I touched carbs.
Private signature, do not read
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

I think it is mate. I really had to increase the tickover as it was cutting out, despite being fine on that setting before. Tickover is a little higher than I'd like, its hard to get that sweet spot between keeping going when cold and idling nicely when hot. Ho-hum, we'll see how it goes, I can always make more adjustments.
Squire Dawson

Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Aye & it always depends on carb wear too I'm sure.
fried onions

Post by fried onions »

OK, I filled up the 9 gallon tank today, prior to the adjustments it was returning around 21 m.p.g. Let's see what happens.
Squire Dawson

Exiled_Tat_Gatherer

Post by Exiled_Tat_Gatherer »

21! 21! - I haven't the balls to work out what the jaaag gives to be honest. But computergadgetrythingymibob says 16.4 - down to 15.3 sometimes.
BUT
You can't put a price on waftage and loving being there……….

This thing is a joy to behold………… well done sir - we salute you!
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

ETG, my experience of Jags is the dash pretty much tells the truth about the awful petrol consumption.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

It's all relative though, my T2 does about 22mpg but has the performance and refinement of a rag and bone man's cart.