Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2004 BMW Z4 2.2 & 2005 BMW 330i

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Back_For_More

Re: Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2004 BMW Z4 2.2 & 2005 BMW 330i

Post by Back_For_More »

I have one...... Haven't tried using it in ages. The needle needs replacing iirc.
brandersnatch
I scored very low on the autie test. I’m cheerful, happy, confident, like meeting new people, chatty and largely sociable. What the fuck am I doing on this forum?

Post by brandersnatch »

Eddie Honda wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 11:16 pm Tommy's da, Tim had one of those Sharp decks.

I wonder if he still has it?
I had a similar one. Long gone now.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

The wipers on the 330i don't park properly. Always with a gap. Google says that the wiper control relay fails and causes this issue. It lives in the fuse box behind the glove box.

Easily enough pulled out.

Looking inside it was all blackened on the contacts. I tried cleaning it but testing the relay found some of connector contacts were failing too. I think the act of removal killed it off.

I raided my relay stash to see if I had something to replace it. 

Found this one which had the correct number of contacts and just importantly has the flyback diode to protect the driving electronics. Not sure if the right amperage on the contacts but at least gives a chance to make my wipers work again.

I think this was from a fusebox on a haunted Laguna II that Hooli scrapped but kept the fusebox control unit which he gave to me when he bought my old Saab 9-5 (the one with the dodgy changing auto box). Yeah I have a pretty specific memory at times...

Anyway that fixed it and it now parks properly.
ImageImage

I have the same issue on my Z4. Perhaps the same thing. I'll have to check at some point...

Incidentally the original relay was a little bit special as the contacts are designed to engage silently. So you don't get a click from the fusebox every time it wipes. I might get a proper replacement. The new style is green to make it obvious it's different.

While I was in the fusebox, I pulled the fuse for the headlight washers. So at least I don't get the sticking out headlight washers problem for now. I did try spraying them with silicone spray but it didn't fix them. I think they'll need replacing.

For those that wonder, I don't need these for an MOT as this car has Halogen not Xenons. So a nice to have rather than a must have.

Used the Z4 today as the weather was cracking and haven't used it for a while. Went down to Sidmouth and had an ice cream. 
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Wow that must be the longest lasting bit of that awful Laguna.

I actually sold it to Kiltox, who scraped it straight away.
Private signature, do not read
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

You should try accessing the fusebox on a 1 Series. The same as the E90 (they are the same car under the skin) but an absolute bastard to get to.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

The Reverend Bluejeans wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:50 pm You should try accessing the fusebox on a 1 Series. The same as the E90 (they are the same car under the skin) but an absolute bastard to get to.
Funnily enough I was pondering about nicking the relay out of my neighbours dead 116d.

Have been tempted to buy it off him and fix it. It seems that often the N47 chain failure is just an engine out, head off and chain replacement job with the occasional bent valve replacement too. I'd get it at scrap value and tbh he'd be glad to see it disappear.

Last time I asked him what's happening to it, he was supposed to have removemycar pick it up. But the driver injured himself and didn't get around to doing it.
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

Let them take it. It's a shit 116d of interest to nobody.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Parts arrived late yesterday afternoon.
I bought an Amazon special brake sensor. Tbh I am not sure why I didn't spend the extra £3 for a Febi. It doesn't have to do much though as it's basically a bit of wire moulded in plastic. Just if it fails, I'd rather not be doing this again.
Looks alright to be fair.
Front up. Little jack is to get enough rise to get my big jack in. I really need to invest in a low profile jack.
Wheels off
Genuine BMW brake pads and discs!
Not a lot of meat left on the pads.
However I reckon I could have reused these discs as not that much of a lip on. Oh well.
Caliper off. These are massive.
Pad retaining screw was a bit of a fight. Just about did it without rounding it off. I should have ordered replacements really.
Clean up and copper grease the face.
Slide pins I cleaned up. Trick I learnt is to use WD40, scouring pad and spin them with the tool to undo. Gets them clean in no time.

Re-assemble. Pins came out dry so I put them back in dry. BMW recommend to have them in dry. Tbh if they've been greased, I've found it hard to ungrease the lot. So I would have put them back in greased.
Same job the other side.
Reset the service warning.
And clear the ABS code for it.
Finally went for a test drive.

Got home and literally turned into the drive. *Bong*

REALLY
I've only just cleared all the warnings, you bugger.
Plugged in the code reader again that permanently lives in the glove box.
Basically it has a emergency disconnect on the battery terminal to shut off power in a big accident. Like everything BMW electrical this age, it appears to be a common problem. Yes there is just about a battery under there.
This connector is what causes the grief. I disconnected and reconnected which seemed to allow the code to be cleared. I suspect this won't be the last of this problem...
This is why I'd hate to be a professional mechanic. Fix one thing and another completely unrelated breaks just after the first job is done. Also I guess this sort of shit is why these age BMWs gain a reputation to be expensive and complicated to run. No doubt most dealers would have shoved a whole new battery disconnect and battery computer on this. 
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Nazi

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:34 am Pad retaining screw was a bit of a fight. Just about did it without rounding it off. I should have ordered replacements really.

Regardless of Phillips, hex or Torx disc retaining screw, RONG tool for that job.

Eddie Honda wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:25 pm

Not a real test as they weren't that stuck in, but they came out unmarked.

SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I initially tried it with my impact ratchet and I think that's what started to round it off. Not sure why I even tried as I always round off hex fixings with an impact ratchet. I resorted to ratchet and pressing on the back while twisting. Other side came out without damage.

I do have one of those impact things but never get on with it.