Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI & 2004 BMW Z4 2.2

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI & 2004 BMW Z4 2.2

Post by SiC »

Bashed this on last night. 

Used the old backplates as templates to figure the least amount of metal cut that was needed.
Painted the exposed edges and left to dry.

This is why I shouldn't be let near paint. 🤦‍♂️

Thankfully came off easily enough with electrical contact cleaner (IPA).

Threw it all back on 

Had this washer left over. No idea what it's for or where it goes? Parts diagrams for rear brakes don't seem to show where it goes.

One advantage of cutting the backplates is that the adjuster is easily accessible with the caliper mount off. It's up by the disc. With the caliper carrier and caliper in place, this is all pretty much covered up anyway. 

Adjusted the adjusters per book. Handbrake spring in its service position (fully slack handbrake cables), fully tightened the adjuster and then back off 8 ticks. 3 clicks on the handbrake give a solid hold. However the nearside shoes drag a fair bit more than the offside when released. 

Hopefully it just needs a few miles and actuations to set everything back into position in it. Failing that, they'll wear down anyway in use. Probably need a quick adjustment after a few hundred (200?) miles anyway. 🙃

Wheels are still off and backend in the air, so I may have another quick go at adjusting it. I did put the wheel studs back on to push the disc down fully but I'll probably with the wheels back on to make sure it's all perfect. 

Anyway at least it all seems to work now.

Hopefully the weather will play ball this weekend and I can get some more use into it! Right now it's raining again...
The Reverend Bluejeans
Prize Cunt

Re: Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI & 2004 BMW Z4 2.2

Post by The Reverend Bluejeans »

You really do need to fix that large gap in the backplate. If you don’t, it will suck road shit and water in.

All you need to do is cut a slot in the backplate and feed it around the hub. You need to weld a suitable bit of steel in.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Nothing really exciting to report on this. Just normal using and driving. 

Mrs SiC contacted me earlier to say that an "exclamation mark in a goldfish bowl" warning light has lit up.

I said it's because the car thinks there maybe a puncture. Que Mrs SiC instantly panicking that a tyre is flat...

After a checking they all look good, so likely a false alarm. Tbh I have only checked them after I bought it and not since. So could be a slight pressure mismatch between tyres. Anyway I told her how to reset it (push and hold the goldfish bowl exclamation mark button till it beeps) and now she (car and wife) is happy again.

(I did say nothing exciting has happened!)

Looking at the Odometer, it appears I've done around 700ish miles since purchase. That'll be 3 months ago next week. Almost not really worth the cost of insuring and taxing it for that use. I'm seriously considering going back down to one main modern. 

Sell the BGT, Z4 roadster, this and buy something like a Z4 coupé to go from 7 to 5 cars. My wallet will thank me for that. 
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

That reminds me, a tyre looks soft on the XJR. I must check it before I use it next.
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Went for an evening drive.
Good fun. 
Brakes were hot but not baking. Handbrake shoe bit was toasty. Probably needs a bit more adjustment and/or bedding in. 
Rear disc
Rear handbrake drum section. This bit is noticeably hot but does heatsink out to the rest of the wheel just fine. Localised hot spot basically.
Front disc for comparison 
I haven't really looked too deeply at the vacuum intake leak. Long term fuel trims are quite high. Iirc this is extra fuel put in?
Resetting the adaptation didn't do too much. Apart from making the short term trims as high as the long terms was. Surprising that 🤣

Hopefully won't give any issues for the MOT. I don't intend to do much on it until I've got it through. That's only in a weeks time. 
Thing is, despite the trims being high, it actually drives just fine? Even when the Engine light was on, it still drove just fine. Tempted to just ignore it and accept it as is. Might get a smoke machine to help find the leak. 

Every time I drive this, it makes me want a Z4 coupé. Unfortunately the BGT selling has been pretty quiet and not even had anyone turn up to view it yet. Some people have asked for times but not got any further than that. Cold and wet weather is probably not helping.
FatherJack

Post by FatherJack »

Are there any bombsite dealers with a Z4 coupe that might take the Britains Got Talent in as a part-ex ?
Summer is allegedly on its way so soft-tops may bubble in value.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Z4 coupé are rare. About 10-20 for sale in the whole country at one time.

Also I don't really want to sell the BGT for less than £5k. I look to see what you get classic car wise for that money and it's not a lot. Mostly projects and some tatty, fairly mundane porridge. Already at 5.5k public price it's cheaper than most B's out there - certainly chrome.

So I'm prepared to wait for a bit. It's not been on eBay/C&C for a week yet and I have had some enquiries. I've found previously that bank holidays usually mean family for most and not looking at cars. Hopefully once the weather finally improves, the market will start in full swing.

Certainly a buyers market right now for classics though. Tbh it's probably the same for a 00s coupes too. After all, £6k to £8k buys a lot of sensible family car.
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

SiC wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:40 pm Might get a smoke machine to help find the leak. 
Get a can of lighter gas and spray it round the intake while it's ticking over.

Revs increasing will indicate a leak.

Ben