What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:07 pm Are you the new owner/custodian of the AS bike Jag now?
Yes
Hooli wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:18 pm Does this mean the AS bike Jag is now a wob bike?
I don't know, I suppose not necessarily, it would depend one what happens with it down the line???
Chodweaver

Post by Chodweaver »

ghosty wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:51 am ...to amass useful, decent quality tools at an alarming rate...
Sorry, such a rate is impossible. Good to hear you find yourself in this situation though, Max! Long may it continue.
ghosty wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 1:51 amHappy to lend a hand too, I'm good at following instructions.
Damn. But I'm no good at GIVING instructions! It's as much as I can do to manage my own actions, let alone direct someone else. Nice of you to offer, though! The best bit of fora like this is what can be achieved when the community develops into camaraderie...

ANYWAY, today I haz broken the deadlock at Chez Chod, and applied a post foot and some Thunderbolts(tm) to the concrete of what estate agents laughably have termed 'a patio', ready to support the next timber post in what I will pretentiously term, 'a conservatory'. (Work on this, er, 'structure' stalled some two years ago due to fiscal uncertainty.) A supply of cheap sawn wood is being organised and I expect to take the Chrysler to Wickes before the month is out, and fill it with their very reasonably priced corrugated polycarbonate roofing sheets. A lack of covered workspace has hampered progress on all sorts of vital* projects for TOO LONG! No more!
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Hurrah for covered workspaces.
Private signature, do not read
Chodweaver

Post by Chodweaver »

Further materials buyage was done yesterday - the post foot recently bolted to the patio needed a 4x4 post to be located in it. Not wanting to do things by halves, the length (height) of said post needs to be more than 3m*, yet I jib at paying Travis Perkins price (£68) for treated sawn timber of this size. Fortunately Gumtree (of all sites) put me in touch with a yard in Sharston, Manchester where £17 would get me what I required. So I bought two. (I'm sure the second will come in handy). The Voyager again proved its worth by getting both posts back to Chez Chod without undue fuss or resorting to roof bars. Next, I just need some even longer pieces of 4x2 for the joists and then frame building can commence...

* why so high? Because phase 1, completed three years ago, created a 'camperport' down the side of the house for a camper that stands at just over 11'. When i get to phase 3, I will be joining up the camperport with the roof built in phase 2, so they need to be the same height...
christine

Post by christine »

I noticed a paint rust bubble on my T4 sill , by the rear arch yesterday... so i pressed it and me thumb went right through to the inner sill..Fuck ! :o gashing my thumb as i pulled it out .. Today i cut it all out and welded a new bit in..And I didn't get rained on .
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Chodweaver wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:10 am Further materials buyage was done yesterday - the post foot recently bolted to the patio needed a 4x4 post to be located in it. Not wanting to do things by halves, the length (height) of said post needs to be more than 3m*, yet I jib at paying Travis Perkins price (£68) for treated sawn timber of this size. Fortunately Gumtree (of all sites) put me in touch with a yard in Sharston, Manchester where £17 would get me what I required. So I bought two. (I'm sure the second will come in handy). The Voyager again proved its worth by getting both posts back to Chez Chod without undue fuss or resorting to roof bars. Next, I just need some even longer pieces of 4x2 for the joists and then frame building can commence...

* why so high? Because phase 1, completed three years ago, created a 'camperport' down the side of the house for a camper that stands at just over 11'. When i get to phase 3, I will be joining up the camperport with the roof built in phase 2, so they need to be the same height...
That's an awfully long span for 4x2 unsupported- I think they will be bowing under their own weight let alone the roof and potential snow load?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Went for a drive this evening. Those that still follow my thread on the beige will know that I've done a temporary swap with the Boxster and brought the BGT back down.

Took a few pictures. Shame the moderns are in the way.

After a bit of fettling with the carbs and electrics, she is running the best since I've had her. Idle drops back when sitting at the lights. I think because it's running a bit rich on the back pair a bit.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Have you stopped worrying about oil pressure now?
20/50 valvoline mineral race oil is my go to oil of choice in these circumstances - my friend used to say it was the only oil they could run when racing e types and not have the engine blow regularly, it'll even make pressure in a rover V8.....

Joking aside good to see you getting use out of it.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

It's still on the low side. I'm hoping fresh, quality oil will help though. It'll get a change very soon - I've got some 20w-60 from Moss that should be of reasonably good quality with a decent amount of ZDDP in. Certainly a lot better than the Granville 20w-50 in there, with an unknown ZDDP content - probably only trace amounts...

When hot, at idle

When hot at 3k rpm

I've had it nearly 2 years now and it's gotten to the point where I've mentally written off the car financially. I.e. if the engine blows up, throws a rod, etc, I really don't care any more. If it did do that in the short term, I'd get it dragged up to the garage and dump it there. There it'd stay until the 1100 is done and room available to pull the engine for a rebuild/replacement. Worse case I'd sell it as a going concern cheap.
However it is holding some oil pressure, even if it sounds a bit shit, so I'm hoping/expecting it not to do such shenanigans. But I never know what this cursed car will throw at me next.

Still baby steps in getting it back into proper use. Only 10 miles done since out of the garage on last Sunday. I've put a new fusebox, wire direct to the coil from the fuse box, fitted an electronic points assister and removed the poppet valves in the HIF carbs. All of which had helped massively.

When driving along I can hear the brakes scraping a bit. I wouldn't be surprised if the calipers end up needing a bit of work from the pistons rusting up.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Hang on, you drove it?

Wow! I'm glad to see that. The poor thing would get agrophobic locked up any longer.
Private signature, do not read