Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI & 2004 BMW Z4 2.2

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
SiC
It's S small i C

Re: Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2003 E320 & 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI

Post by SiC »

Been buzzing around in this yesterday and today. The MPG seems to be in the low 30s without trying too hard. This is on super unleaded though and the lower ethanol content will help here. 

This is coming out of Bristol centre back home. Was mid 20s in Bristol traffic but then rose as I got onto 30-70mph a-roads.

Then this evening I went to a local Lidl and back. Round trip of around 15 miles or so. Most of this was not needing to stop and not slowing down for corners 😀.

Pretty respectable to be honest, especially as I wasn't really trying. At most I'd just keep the revs down on a straight. I.e. 4th/5th gear at 30mph, 5th gear at 40mph and 6th pretty much above that. While it's not the 40+ mpg you get in modern TSI engines but certainly not bad for this era. I seem to remember these numbers are similar to my TT MK2 TFSI. 

I think it also helps having cruise on it now. I can just hit the set button and sail around without feathering the accelerator or keep close eye on the speed.

While some of the worn bushes no doubt mean this isn't exactly factory fresh, she does handle extremely well. I think the fresh looking Sachs dampers and new springs help a huge amount here. No idea when they went on but they're certainly not 198k and tbh look only a few years old at most.

I know the build quality on this era isn't exactly the best VAG ever did, but they really nailed the chassis setup perfectly. I know the same aged citybugs in the photo above drive well, but they're not a patch on the Golf. Yet they're probably not that far off second hand value?

Yes the engine can be a liability but all the bits that can have problems are very well known. All of which pretty much can be either fixed or mitigated DIY. On the flip side they're lovely powerplants to drive. Zippy low down diesel like torque but the long legs of a petrol. Unlike a N/A overtaking is a very modern feeling keep above 2.2k or so and have the turbo start spinning, then floor it to shoot off when ready. 

Basically they're pretty much all the car you ever need. I know you exterior is dull - I've long dismissed them previously because of it. However it makes you blend into traffic without being shouty about it. Which is pretty much standard Golf design philosophy - even the same on the extremely competent Golf R later generations that you have to understand the R badge to realise what they're packing underneath.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Even Mrs SiC really likes driving it. I asked her earlier why she happily drives this but doesn't like driving the Merc. "Golf is small, easy to drive, easy to park and nicer to drive". Nicer to drive probably because, even though she tells me off for doing it, she chucks cars around corners herself. You can do that in the E320 but there is of course a fair bit more body roll being so much bigger and suspension setup for comfort. The E320 is basically the same length as a new Range Rover sport and 2.5 feet longer than the Golf.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

E320 sold and deposit paid. Will be collected soon.

Day booked off for a Z4 collection tomorrow. Just need to figure the best way to get to Bebington (near Wirral). Split ticket is about £60 standard or £97 first class which I'm tempted to do. 3 changes and not sure what happens if I can't get the next train - presumably loose out?
christine

Post by christine »

call Warren?
christine

Post by christine »

Take a gun
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

christine wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 8:20 pmcall Warren?
I did think about that but it's actually cheaper to book a complete journey to Bebington (through Liverpool Lime Street) than have the journey end at Liverpool Lime Street. 🤷‍♂️
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

How much extra is a 'through' ticket (ie not split), because if it's a single ticket and things go tits you can get the next available train or if it really goes tits, Warren will get paid to take you.

Probably...
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

£120 standard class as a standard non-split ticket.

Looks like the key train I must not miss (and the only first class one I can do) is the one from Bristol Temple Meads. The rest are standard off-peak trains. So I think it should be golden.

For some reason, the train from Stafford to Liverpool has no first class. Presumably because no scouser going home would ever consider buying first class? And they'd sit in there anyway until the ticket inspector tried to chuck 'em out.
christine

Post by christine »

Grand National totty to gawp at on the train ! :P
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

SiC wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 6:57 pm 3 changes and not sure what happens if I can't get the next train - presumably loose out?
Depends on the ticket type. Flexible ones allow you to get a different train, others don't. I'd blag it, if you miss one cause the previous one is late I'm pretty sure they allow it as it's their fault.
Private signature, do not read