What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Re: What did you do today?

Post by bub2006 »

It's a situation beyond my control. I dont want to part with ioniq but I need to be comfortable
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

It was actually yesterday, but I looked at one of those rear engined Twingos. I'd been intrigued because they are one of the few attempts to produce anything remotely different in the small car sector. This one was under 3 grand and povvo spec; interior looked fine, nice and simple with just one dial. There was a nasty shock under the rear floor where the engine lives however- absolutely everything was covered with a thick layer of mud. The garage man said they all do that in time, dust and moisture gets sucked up and needs power washing which they're reluctant to do for obvious reasons. Not good; I see the things have now been discontinued here.
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

cros wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:17 am It was actually yesterday, but I looked at one of those rear engined Twingos. I'd been intrigued because they are one of the few attempts to produce anything remotely different in the small car sector. This one was under 3 grand and povvo spec; interior looked fine, nice and simple with just one dial. There was a nasty shock under the rear floor where the engine lives however- absolutely everything was covered with a thick layer of mud. The garage man said they all do that in time, dust and moisture gets sucked up and needs power washing which they're reluctant to do for obvious reasons. Not good; I see the things have now been discontinued here.
Not being familiar with them I would have thought it would just be an undertray under the engine rather than a proper metal floor.
How does the dust and moisture get in there?
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

DodgeRover wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:23 am
cros wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:17 am It was actually yesterday, but I looked at one of those rear engined Twingos. I'd been intrigued because they are one of the few attempts to produce anything remotely different in the small car sector. This one was under 3 grand and povvo spec; interior looked fine, nice and simple with just one dial. There was a nasty shock under the rear floor where the engine lives however- absolutely everything was covered with a thick layer of mud. The garage man said they all do that in time, dust and moisture gets sucked up and needs power washing which they're reluctant to do for obvious reasons. Not good; I see the things have now been discontinued here.
Not being familiar with them I would have thought it would just be an undertray under the engine rather than a proper metal floor.
How does the dust and moisture get in there?
No idea, I m talking a thick layer of mud evenly covering everything. Awful, not seen anything as bad on ancient neglected farm tractors.
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

John F wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:20 am I helped a mate remove the Watt's linkage from his 2001 Disco TD5 to replace all the bushes in it.

IMG_2971.JPG

The three centre bushes were steel, as per usual. The two outer ones that bolted to the body had a polyurethane outer shell, and they were a bastard to press in. It wasn't possible to use a suitably-sized socket to press them in on the rim as per usual, as the PU started to mushroom & split when they were about half way in. He'd paid £160 for the set of five bushes, so we couldn't afford a fuck-up.

Right, special tool required. Rummaging around the unit revealed a couple of pieces of flat plate with a suitably-dimensioned hole in the middle to shim the assembly up so the pressing force could be applied to the entire mass of the bush. That did the trick.

IMG_2972.JPG

IMG_2973.JPG

I've never seen PU bushes like this on a vehicle before, mainly because I choose to own low-tech 20th century stuff. Is this sort of thing normal nowadays?
like the out of the box thinking
"The Dark Wob. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
John F

Post by John F »

richardthestag wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:11 pm
It's a Land Rover product, I'm sure you've had to do plenty of that too in your time :-D
On the road:
1998 Disco 4.0 V8 (manual)
1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 V6

Running but need fettling:

1986 Honda CBX750F
1991 Maserati 222 SE
1990 Yamaha XJ900F

Tax & MOT-exempt, woohoo!

1982 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana
richardthestag

Post by richardthestag »

John F wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:13 pm
richardthestag wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:11 pm
It's a Land Rover product, I'm sure you've had to do plenty of that too in your time :-D
indeedy
"The Dark Wob. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy. We must be cautious."
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

My Lexus ones were the same, I used a piece of ply (with a suitable sized hole drilled to put pressure on the correct place) and then a big washer to pull it in with.
It's amazing how much pressure you can get on something with some threaded rod though.
John F

Post by John F »

Aye, but if you have access to a 15 t press you might as well use it :-)
On the road:
1998 Disco 4.0 V8 (manual)
1994 Vauxhall Calibra 3.0 V6

Running but need fettling:

1986 Honda CBX750F
1991 Maserati 222 SE
1990 Yamaha XJ900F

Tax & MOT-exempt, woohoo!

1982 Suzuki GSX1100SZ Katana
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Took the VW T2 for a run out.
The non starting and immobiliser flashes and beeps turned out to be some waxoyl melting and getting to be where it shouldn't on the starter motor itself. That's another lesson learnt, just because the immobiliser seems to be having a nervous breakdown it doesn't mean that it is the problem.