Two wheels good.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Re: Two wheels good.

Post by Eddie Honda »

Bike MOTs?

Hahahaha!
Yellowperil

Post by Yellowperil »

Finally I have got this bloody VFR fixed!
On monday it will have been a month, just to bloody adjust the chain.
It took a week to get it apart, two weeks to wait for parts and three days to put it together.
Everything that could go wrong, did.
Even wheeling it down my driveway was a nightmare of siezed front calipers, I suppose I shall have to get a service kit and rebuild those.
Anyway, it is done now, I have ridden it and all is good.
That hub is going to be stripped and cleaned annually from now on.
I still have a brand spanking new Givi rack to fit, but that can wait until another day when me humours have recovered.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I can't remember how much you've had to do with bikes. But I always remove the pads & pump the pistons out to the disc before I take the callipers off. It makes the pistons much easier to remove than if they are all the way in.
Private signature, do not read
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Follow on from the pothole debacle. I collected the Innova and found it fits in the back of the partner. Bonus. When I got home I had a closer look and thought it odd that if the wheel was buckled then why was the sprocket carrier hitting swingarm. Stripped it down and found the sprocket carrier bearing disintegrated and alot of wear on the ally casting of the cam carrier. I'm going to replace the bearing as well as both wheel bearings and the carrier itself. I'm now thinking the bearing perhaps wasn't in the rudest of health and a large pothole and large rider with soft shocks on the back,pannier bags and an alternator in said bag signed the death knell.
Yellowperil

Post by Yellowperil »

Hooli wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:30 pm I can't remember how much you've had to do with bikes. But I always remove the pads & pump the pistons out to the disc before I take the callipers off. It makes the pistons much easier to remove than if they are all the way in.
I will do that and use the trick of filling the piston with a socket then using a big allen key alongside the socket, they twist out then.
A job for better weather.
Yellowperil

Post by Yellowperil »

bub2006 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:10 pm Follow on from the pothole debacle. I collected the Innova and found it fits in the back of the partner. Bonus. When I got home I had a closer look and thought it odd that if the wheel was buckled then why was the sprocket carrier hitting swingarm. Stripped it down and found the sprocket carrier bearing disintegrated and alot of wear on the ally casting of the cam carrier. I'm going to replace the bearing as well as both wheel bearings and the carrier itself. I'm now thinking the bearing perhaps wasn't in the rudest of health and a large pothole and large rider with soft shocks on the back,pannier bags and an alternator in said bag signed the death knell.

I wonder if someone forgot to fit the spacer between the two wheels bearings, that would push everything out of line and put a lot of strain on the sprocket carrier bearing
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Yellowperil wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:31 pm
bub2006 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:10 pm Follow on from the pothole debacle. I collected the Innova and found it fits in the back of the partner. Bonus. When I got home I had a closer look and thought it odd that if the wheel was buckled then why was the sprocket carrier hitting swingarm. Stripped it down and found the sprocket carrier bearing disintegrated and alot of wear on the ally casting of the cam carrier. I'm going to replace the bearing as well as both wheel bearings and the carrier itself. I'm now thinking the bearing perhaps wasn't in the rudest of health and a large pothole and large rider with soft shocks on the back,pannier bags and an alternator in said bag signed the death knell.

I wonder if someone forgot to fit the spacer between the two wheels bearings, that would push everything out of line and put a lot of strain on the sprocket carrier bearing
The spacer was still in the centre along with the swingarm spacers each side. The only dust seal on the bearings is on the sprocket carrier and that was MIA. With the state of the bearing if think it was tore up.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

bub2006 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:53 pm
Yellowperil wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:31 pm

The spacer was still in the centre along with the swingarm spacers each side. The only dust seal on the bearings is on the sprocket carrier and that was MIA. With the state of the bearing if think it was tore up.
Sounds plausible. It's the sprocket carrier bearing that always fails on my 14 too. I think it's the sideways forces applied because the carrier can twist slightly on the crush drive.

Plus in my case Suzuki only fitted a bearing sealed on one side. Replacing it with one sealed both sides results in a longer life.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Hooli wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:06 am because the carrier can twist slightly on the crush drive.
GEPPS!
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:01 am
Hooli wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:06 am because the carrier can twist slightly on the crush drive.
GEPPS!
Eh? I've only ever seen the rubber blocks the sprocket carrier fits into called the crush drive.