Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Bigstraight6

Re: Electric vehicles, pros and cons. Have your say.

Post by Bigstraight6 »

paulplom wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:15 am
Bigstraight6 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 8:26 pm My daily to and from work car is a 15 year old VW Polo TDI and it still does what’s required of it with minimal fuss and very frugally and will continue to do so for a good few WEEKS yet.
ftfy
Don’t know what you mean, this is the second Polo TDI I’ve owned, the first one got to 169,000 miles before I sold it still running and driving well and the current one is on 128,000 miles, neither have used any oil or coolant between 6 monthly servicing.

It will be interesting over the coming years to see if any EV’s will even make it to 10 years old and still be viable, I doubt it.
Your being woke is now our concern
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Bigstraight6 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:21 am It will be interesting over the coming years to see if any EV’s will even make it to 10 years old and still be viable, I doubt it.
Depending on how you define viable? They've been knocking together Nissan Leaves for over 13 years now. What are they like?

I've no idea, but I'm running my petrol Euro IV Jizz for a few more years yet. None of that turbo / tractor juice shite. :lol:
Bigstraight6

Post by Bigstraight6 »

Eddie Honda wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:54 am
Bigstraight6 wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:21 am It will be interesting over the coming years to see if any EV’s will even make it to 10 years old and still be viable, I doubt it.
Depending on how you define viable? They've been knocking together Nissan Leaves for over 13 years now. What are they like?

I've no idea, but I'm running my petrol Euro IV Jizz for a few more years yet. None of that turbo / tractor juice shite. :lol:

😃 To be fair this could well be my last tractor engined conveyance as newer stuff with all the complicated emissions control stuff seem a bit fragile..
Your being woke is now our concern
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

My mate has had an e330 BMW Touring hybrid company car for a couple of years. He took me out in it when I was back in the UK in December. Very quick (at least compared to the 1.3 diesel Doblo I have been driving for the past 3 years) and is eerily quiet when driving on electric power. Comfortably too, and he does around 40,000 miles a year.

He is about to take delivery of a new, M Sport e330. £57,000 or so. He is retiring in two years times, so think he will be back driving any cheap cars he can find.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

https://www.wheels-alive.co.uk/eu-plans ... 20scrapped.

Robin Roberts (WheelsWithinWales) writes… With the internal combustion engine to be consigned to history in the not-too-distant future, recent information has emerged regarding the European Union’s plan to restrict repairCars experiencing failures in major components such as engines, transmissions, brakes, or steering, and deemed old (potentially around 15 years), will fall under this category. Once labelled as residual, these vehicles would be barred from undergoing significant repairs and would likely be scrapped.

The EU’s ambitious ‘Fit for 55’ program seeks to eliminate direct transport emissions by 2050, with interim goals including a 55 per cent reduction by 2030 from 1990 levels.
A significant step in this journey is the 2035 ban on new combustion engine cars, excluding vehicles operating on potential future synthetic fuels. However, the reality presents challenges, as the uptake of low or zero-emission vehicles in the EU lags behind expectations, varying significantly across member states.s on older vehicles, reports EuroWeekly.

They really are going all in for electric!? Very Eco friendly I'm sure.
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Did my CBT on an electric scooter. Went like a stabbed rat up to 35 but sounded like an amped up mobility scooter. The other chap was on a small equivalent to 50 cc bike variant with a woeful battery capacity. The tester said it barely manages the CBT and has to be charged between compound work and the road ride. The scooter I used wasn't much better. Did the compound and road ride and used 70% battery in town so on the open road at full throttle it would be alot worse. He's said he is planning to get rid of them and go back to cheap Chinese scooters and bikes as they last alot longer,parts are easier to get and no worries of it dying on test.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

bub2006 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:29 pm and go back to cheap Chinese scooters and bikes as they last alot longer,parts are easier to get
:lol: :lol: We never said this about the Great Bunch of Lads bikes in the olden days.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Eddie Honda wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:53 pm
bub2006 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:29 pm and go back to cheap Chinese scooters and bikes as they last alot longer,parts are easier to get
:lol: :lol: We never said this about the Great Bunch of Lads bikes in the olden days.
Ahh but now it's a Great Bunch of Lads leccy shyte compared to a Great Bunch of Lads petrol shyte.
Private signature, do not read
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

A friend of mine is in his 70s and he remembers the same being said about jap bikes. Coming over here with their advanced ohc engines and no oil leaks. Disgusting.

Chinese bikes are a hell of a better quality now than they was though. Sinis are pretty much Suzuki and ajs and lexmoto have good parts support. Not like 15-20 years ago with the hongdu and Yamasaki.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

bub2006 wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:29 pm Did my CBT on an electric scooter. Went like a stabbed rat up to 35 but sounded like an amped up mobility scooter. The other chap was on a small equivalent to 50 cc bike variant with a woeful battery capacity. The tester said it barely manages the CBT and has to be charged between compound work and the road ride. The scooter I used wasn't much better. Did the compound and road ride and used 70% battery in town so on the open road at full throttle it would be alot worse. He's said he is planning to get rid of them and go back to cheap Chinese scooters and bikes as they last alot longer,parts are easier to get and no worries of it dying on test.
Most riding schools give the Chinese bikes they own regular maintenance, such as oil changes, chain adjustment, brake pad changes. I have seen a couple that had in excess of 30,000 miles on the clock without major issues.

17 year olds are not known for their mechanical sympathy, and many a Honda, Suzuki, KTM and Yamaha 125's haven't outlasted their Chinese cousins.