The Triumph Mayflower.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Re: The Triumph Mayflower.

Post by Hooli »

It does look a lovely little thing that's been looked after & ready to enjoy.
Private signature, do not read
JimH

Post by JimH »

I am very firmly in the latter camp. The only thing that stops the Mayflower being the worst thing the British built is the Standard 8.

I'm glad you like it and all but I'll happily throw a few quid into the pot to have it killed by fire.
angrydicky
The TDW Ancient Crock Appreciation Club (official) Chairman

Post by angrydicky »

Ah come on, that’s not fair on the Standard Eight!
They’re a delightful little car and drive well. They sold like hot cakes and were one of the better small cars of the time.
JimH

Post by JimH »

Are you sure we are talking about the same car? The one I'm thinking of is a loathsome, this'll do for you proles margarine and gristle sort of car that could only be viewed as remotely not suicidal because at least we weren't having bombs dropped on us any more.

They were easily the worst thing that Britain built. They are saved from being the worst car ever because VW gave us the bastard Polo.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

I want a Standard Eight or Ten now. I can never see why the strong hate for them and I want to see what they're actually like to drive to see if they're as bad as people whine about.

I also really want an A30/A35 to blat about in.

Both have dropped in value and I'd be surprised if they hold the £5k+ for a nice one that many ask. (I.e. Similar value to my BGT which doesn't make sense in my eyes)
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

They’re fine to drive, nothing wrong with them at all. Obviously the performance is far superior to the Mayflower having a new, and strong, OHV engine the basic design of which was used in the Herald, Spitfire and 1300 etc. Yes it was silly having the entry level model without a boot but apart from that I don’t understand them being singled out for hatred.
The ride and handling is superior to the A30/35. They are less desirable so tend to attract lower prices.
If I was starting again I’d go for the Standard. And I say that as the owner of an A30 and an A35.
Last edited by angrydicky on Mon Feb 26, 2024 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

I completely understand the Mayflower hate, mainly aimed towards the odd styling and the sidevalve performance.
It feels like a prewar car with postwar ride and handling. Telescopic shocks all around and with all the steering and suspension rebuilt it actually rides very well. I’ve just been out in it and despite the howling wind it wasn’t getting blown about any more than a modern car. I had it up to an indicated 50 on the way back which it seemed quite happy with.
Here’s a question for you Wobbers. Are Mayflowers really in the same level of hate as AS’s favourite* plastic vehicle?
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I've never seen much hate for them, just a lot of confusion as to why they exist. But Mercrocker explained that pretty well the other day.
Private signature, do not read
angrydicky

Post by angrydicky »

He did indeed and I’m sure he won’t mind me posting his words here to save them getting lost in the news thread.
mercrocker wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2024 12:55 pm On the other hand, I see them as a quite clever piece of niche marketing.....Imagine you are an old cruster of better-than-moderate means in early post-war Britain. Everywhere you look there are sleek new designs - Standard-Triumph's own Vanguard apeing America c.1942, the fabulous Javelin, Studebakeresque P4 Rovers and bulbous Austins.

Facing dotage and disturbed by 6 years of War, you hanker for the days when razor-edged coachwork and upright styling (don't forget those creaking joints) permitted ease of access and a commanding road-view for that slightly deteriorated eyesight.

You do not necessarily want a car the size of the companion Renown/1800/2000, cannot afford a Bentley or Jaguar MkV (in any case both much too large) and the tubby A30 or cramped Minor do not fit the bill. Fords are out of the question as are Vauxhalls (not quite nice, either of those....)

Along comes the Mayflower and ticks all of your boxes - in much the same way as the Princess 1100/1300 (I have made that analogy before, I know) would do to Son of Postwar Man as he reaches the same stage in life during the late Sixties.

We should be as happy that the Mayflower existed as we are about angrydicky taking one into his well-tended flock!
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Is there really hatred for them ? Yes they are crap like most British cars and are not exactly attractive but they can actually do car stuff unlike those horrid plastic turds. It's better than a spaz chariot is not exactly high praise but about where I would rank one.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter