Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Re: Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Post by Drum »

Auntie Agnes knitted the balaclava. Try searching Billy Connolly Live from 2008. Or do you mean a TV show?
Broccoli

Post by Broccoli »

Drum wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:56 pm Auntie Agnes knitted the balaclava. Try searching Billy Connolly Live from 2008. Or do you mean a TV show?
Ahhh it was his auntie was it. I thought it was his gran. :lol:

I think you could be right about Live from 2008, but it might have been earlier too. I’m sure he never repeated any classic jokes! :lol: :lol: :lol: Thank you!

I remember the ‘Hoch-hober’ part as well. Sounds like the 10th month of the year. The damn stuff they put into shampoo for dull and lifeless hair… and it never works. Yet you wash your nads with any old thing and ‘ping’, ‘spring’, ‘boing’ goes your pubic hair.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Chrysler.

Topping up the coolant more often than should be necessary but no apparent leaks....No sign of cabin ingress, no sign underneath and it has been checked by both the MOT man and the country garage I use for repairs (bloke there is a Yank licker of some renown and heritage). Only possible area that cannot be ruled out is that a slight cronk in the rad mouting "subframe" could have damaged the bottom of the rad and the resultant leak (if any) is not going where it can be seen.

So it is either going into the engine -not borne out by oil contamination or exhaust analysis/visual checking, dripping somewhere hot enough to burn off OR.....Rad cap?

It runs a sealed rad, remote header tank with a "cold" level marker, no ingress point apart from the cap on the expansion tank. This, although the car proclaims it is likely to scald if opened HOT never shows any signs of being pressurised. Given the age of the car is it worth changing the cap and would failure of this contribute to/cause fluid loss?
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
BenHar
Banned Grinch!

Post by BenHar »

mercrocker wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 5:23 pm Given the age of the car is it worth changing the cap and would failure of this contribute to/cause fluid loss?
It must be worth trying.

Ben
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

Yes they tend to vent unnecessarily if the cap isn't sealing properly,
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

I feel it is definitely worth trying, at least it is one more thing working correctly to start from.
FhakeConcern
Cycle Cunt

Post by FhakeConcern »

Hit a pot hole the other day which made the most amazing bang and caused the dsh cam to save as if we'd had a crash. I had a look under the car today (Ovlov C30) and found the F/N/S wheel has a flat on the inside edge. The tyre hasn't lost any pressure at all and car still tracks straight when driving accelerating and braking and all seems good, but should I get a new wheel and tyre anyway?
IMG_8872.JPG
IMG_8872.JPG (372.96 KiB) Viewed 204 times
I will pop round to my local mechanic who also always supplies my tyres and see if he has a chance to have a look, but I expect he'll be pretty busy so may not be able to
IMG_8875.JPG
IMG_8875.JPG (353.45 KiB) Viewed 204 times
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

The inner fear-monger in me says there might well be some unseen structural damage in both wheel and tyre. Might be worth getting the suspension checked too. I know it is vastly different but I had the same on the Minor, changed the wheel and tyre and on doing so found the kingpin had biffed the bump stop right off its studs....
FhakeConcern
Cycle Cunt

Post by FhakeConcern »

Yes that's the sort of thing that worries me. It has Bilstien struts with internal bump stops as well.
The cheapest wheel I can see on ebay is £300 plus post the tyres are PS5 so about £130
I have to say I'm fucked off to say the least
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Don't blame you, it pissed me off even though I was only about £50 down and that on stuff that I was going to wear out anyway.