The UK's fascination with convertible cars

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Re: The UK's fascination with convertible cars

Post by mercrocker »

cros wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:33 pm One thing I didn't like last time was my beans on toast were in kit form. Little pot of beans, triangles of toast, unwrap the butter and put it together yourself. Might as well do it yourself at home, never mind, I expect they're trying to be modern.
You're lucky it wasn't expected to be eaten off a section of Ikea shelving.....That's modern, too, apparently.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......
JimH

Post by JimH »

The British love cabrios because our weather is a bit crap. This may seem counter intuitive but when it is grey and drizzly a lot we do tend to throw ourselves into taking advantage of the sun shining with wild abandon. Witness the hoards of shirtless lobsters aggressively tending a barbeque fork in one hand and a can of lager in the other. It might rain later so fuck it I'm going to make the most of it now. If you live somewhere where the weather is remotely nice there is no need to behave like this because it will be nice tomorrow.

Cabrios are all part of the same behavior. Personally I love them (as long as the number of seats is no greater than two) and had an MGF, an MX-5 and VX220 which got driven with the hoods down as long as it wasn't raining too hard.

I even had the slightly weird experience of listening to Mark Radcliffe taking the piss out of me on his afternoon show on Radio 1 for driving through Bristol early in the morning with the top down. I thought I recognised the bloke who crossed the road in front of me as I went past the station.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

That's ya own fault for listening to radio one
Private signature, do not read
JimH

Post by JimH »

I rather liked Mark and Lard's shows.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

I'm another one that likes convertibles but only ever owned one. I do however tend to buy cars with sunroofs if I can and observe the mantra, use it or lose it, which has kept me in good stead over the years. Sadly not with the latest car which leaks but not all the time, it was broken before I owned it, no doubt thru lack of use.

The soft top I did have was a very cheap 7esque kit car that it turned out was built on a budget by a bean counter. I drove it for a number of years in absolutely every weather condition possible, with no heater it could be interesting* at times. Freezing fog being the worst to encounter, especially at 1.30 am 10+ miles from home when the can of de-icer I had ran out :roll: Weight in the boot helped if it snowed.

Thankfully the carb wasn't quite connected properly, pull it out plenty and it increased the revs significantly so in emergencies it could be driven like an old car/tractor with a hand throttle. This was also handy when the throttle cable snapped, as happened several times.

Stopping and scraping the screen got me about 150 yards before I couldn't see a thing, very handy... I ended up squatting on the seat, eyes just above the screen, setting the throttle*, selecting third and driving home. If I needed to brake for bends I just supported myself on my left leg and reached for the brake, then re-assumed the squat.

Reversing home was the next option, fuck walking :lol: Unless it was pissing with rain the roof stayed off, it was rags by the end anyway.
59Impala

Post by 59Impala »

cros wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:33 pm
59Impala wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:38 pm
cros wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:04 am I didn't put the hood up on my MG last year at all but it covered a reasonable mileage. Just as well as it's the early 'packawsy' type and horrible to erect. The number of wet days varies greatly in different parts of this country and I'm fortunate to live on the dry side. I had two trips to Suffolk, both with caravan and though it rained during a few of the nights it had outside the tonneau keeps the water out as long as you're not parked on a slope.
It's no more perverse having an open car than a motor bike, you won't fucking dissolve. All that shit they put in German convertibles to stop your hair blowing about, half the drivers don't even got any!
I did see a white MGB roadster in Spalding this afternoon, top down. Weren't you was it? On my way home I stopped at the Gosberton Grill for a cheeseburger and fries and an MGB GT went past too. I'll not be out and about in my oldies for a while yet, would be difficult in the Impala as it's still away having its engine rebuilt.
Wasn't me, mines an 'orrible orange colour. Never liked to get colour but I buy on condition so just lump it.
Is that the cafe at the back of Gosberton? If it's that one, I go there once in a while as it's an unlikely location, a nice old shop and in needs supporting. One thing I didn't like last time was my beans on toast were in kit form. Little pot of beans, triangles of toast, unwrap the butter and put it together yourself. Might as well do it yourself at home, never mind, I expect they're trying to be modern.
No, the Grill is a takeaway just as you enter the village just past Reeves Tyres and Wheelright. I know the café you speak of but have yet to honour them with my presence. Must try them one day.
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

No, the Grill is a takeaway just as you enter the village just past Reeves Tyres and Wheelright. I know the café you speak of but have yet to honour them with my presence. Must try them one day.
It's only got about 40 foot of frontage so you'll have to find somewhere else to park.