The UK's fascination with convertible cars

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
NergleFuttocks
Globalist Imperialist Pig Dog!

Re: The UK's fascination with convertible cars

Post by NergleFuttocks »

Can you seriously fit a human in the back of a 206cc? Even the Focus rear seats are only good for shopping bags.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

You can fit someone nearly 6ft tall and well built in the back of a MGB convertible on the shelf above the batteries without amputating anything and they can still walk after the best part of 2 hours there.
I've done that a few times.
Grizz

Post by Grizz »

NergleFuttocks wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:41 am Can you seriously fit a human in the back of a 206cc? Even the Focus rear seats are only good for shopping bags.
Did you read my description of who/what?

8 year old gymnasts.

Skinny, small, ultra flexible and possibly still capable of taking orders.

The previous owner of the car's daughter certainly didn’t.

Sellers advertisement quoted.

Taxed to get you home end of month. as it is in daily use on the school and allotment runs. Daughter hates it, a bonus.

Si it certainly needs a Tetris Master or meat cleaver to fit anything more than said gymnasts in the rear.
If you can’t fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem mate.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

I don't see many down here. Which is a bit odd as for 7 or so months a year the temperature is perfect for roof down driving. It's only from late May to September where it is too hot and the sun is too strong to have the roof down.
NergleFuttocks
Globalist Imperialist Pig Dog!

Post by NergleFuttocks »

Grizz wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:37 am
NergleFuttocks wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 3:41 am Can you seriously fit a human in the back of a 206cc? Even the Focus rear seats are only good for shopping bags.
Did you read my description of who/what?

8 year old gymnasts.

Skinny, small, ultra flexible and possibly still capable of taking orders.

The previous owner of the car's daughter certainly didn’t.

Sellers advertisement quoted.

Taxed to get you home end of month. as it is in daily use on the school and allotment runs. Daughter hates it, a bonus.

Si it certainly needs a Tetris Master or meat cleaver to fit anything more than said gymnasts in the rear.
The ones I have seen (and I count the Micra and ZCZ Mitsubishis here too) looked as if the front seats would have to unfeasibly close to the windscreen to enable even an inch of legroom in the back. I did travel in the back of the Focus once just for the experience. I think all of us who have these 2+2 should offer photos of themselves sitting in the back with a normal person in the driving seat. I’ll do one later as ours is in the workshop having a window cable repair kit put on. Damn thing snapped on me when I lowered it to put a car park exit ticket in a machine, not realizing the barrier was already up. If I had noticed that, the cable would have given up on the next journey when I would not be driving it. Hate it when I break ‘her’ car....
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

NergleFuttocks wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 12:52 am I think all of us who have these 2+2 should offer photos of themselves sitting in the back with a normal person in the driving seat.
I'll have to dig around for one, but in the meantime I can offer a couple bro Honda took of the 306.

P_20170402_162832.jpg
P_20170402_162832.jpg (547.85 KiB) Viewed 504 times
vlcsnap-2024-01-28-02h03m11s491.jpg
vlcsnap-2024-01-28-02h03m11s491.jpg (293.84 KiB) Viewed 504 times
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

I didn't put the hood up on my MG last year at all but it covered a reasonable mileage. Just as well as it's the early 'packawsy' type and horrible to erect. The number of wet days varies greatly in different parts of this country and I'm fortunate to live on the dry side. I had two trips to Suffolk, both with caravan and though it rained during a few of the nights it had outside the tonneau keeps the water out as long as you're not parked on a slope.
It's no more perverse having an open car than a motor bike, you won't fucking dissolve. All that shit they put in German convertibles to stop your hair blowing about, half the drivers don't even got any!
59Impala

Post by 59Impala »

cros wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:04 am I didn't put the hood up on my MG last year at all but it covered a reasonable mileage. Just as well as it's the early 'packawsy' type and horrible to erect. The number of wet days varies greatly in different parts of this country and I'm fortunate to live on the dry side. I had two trips to Suffolk, both with caravan and though it rained during a few of the nights it had outside the tonneau keeps the water out as long as you're not parked on a slope.
It's no more perverse having an open car than a motor bike, you won't fucking dissolve. All that shit they put in German convertibles to stop your hair blowing about, half the drivers don't even got any!
I did see a white MGB roadster in Spalding this afternoon, top down. Weren't you was it? On my way home I stopped at the Gosberton Grill for a cheeseburger and fries and an MGB GT went past too. I'll not be out and about in my oldies for a while yet, would be difficult in the Impala as it's still away having its engine rebuilt.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

cros wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:04 am All that shit they put in German convertibles to stop your hair blowing about, half the drivers don't even got any!
I don't understand having a convertible & then addign extras to make it feel less like one. I think I only drove with the roof down & windows up once in my Midget & that was just to find out what difference it made.
Private signature, do not read
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

59Impala wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:38 pm
cros wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:04 am I didn't put the hood up on my MG last year at all but it covered a reasonable mileage. Just as well as it's the early 'packawsy' type and horrible to erect. The number of wet days varies greatly in different parts of this country and I'm fortunate to live on the dry side. I had two trips to Suffolk, both with caravan and though it rained during a few of the nights it had outside the tonneau keeps the water out as long as you're not parked on a slope.
I did see a white MGB roadster in Spalding this afternoon, top down. Weren't you was it? On my way home I stopped at the Gosberton Grill for a cheeseburger and fries and an MGB GT went past too. I'll not be out and about in my oldies for a while yet, would be difficult in the Impala as it's still away having its engine rebuilt.
Wasn't me, mines an 'orrible orange colour. Never liked to get colour but I buy on condition so just lump it.
Is that the cafe at the back of Gosberton? If it's that one, I go there once in a while as it's an unlikely location, a nice old shop and in needs supporting. One thing I didn't like last time was my beans on toast were in kit form. Little pot of beans, triangles of toast, unwrap the butter and put it together yourself. Might as well do it yourself at home, never mind, I expect they're trying to be modern.