It is all so very Super

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
JimH

Re: It is all so very Super

Post by JimH »

I'm trying to drum up enthusiasm for a C type project.
Asimo

Post by Asimo »

Foden or Jaguar?
JimH

Post by JimH »

Foden but I'm not sure I could want one either. They are rather crude compared with the Sentinels.
christine

Post by christine »

I made one of those kits , no green paint though , but i had Skoda Pacific Blue ...!
20240124_223941.jpg
20240124_223941.jpg (481.68 KiB) Viewed 786 times
JimH

Post by JimH »

And it is likely to be more use than the real thing.
christine

Post by christine »

I noticed that middle transfer was wonky in the photo , so i reset it unwonkyer ... and fired the fucker up ! :P

Like chadders T2 !
20240125_131446.jpg
20240125_131446.jpg (398.33 KiB) Viewed 750 times
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

christine wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:18 pm I noticed that middle transfer was wonky in the photo , so i reset it unwonkyer ... and fired the fucker up ! :P

Like chadders T2 !

20240125_131446.jpg
Wrong end.
Do you often get your ends confused?
JimH

Post by JimH »

Nothing wildly exciting been going on. We have got it going a few times but each time it has not got beyond the point of putting the chains back on. I didn't take any photos of the new piston rods so here is about three inches of shiny hard chrome plating to prove the new ones got made and fitted. Also fitted now are the backing springs for the pack gland plates. These let you get away with only a single nut holding the gland in place because if you double nut them the job of adjusting the glands becomes a nightmare. It's hard enough gaining access to adjust one nut let alone two.

The opportunity of the pump being off was taken to make new special nuts for the packing glands so they could get backing springs as well. Annoyingly the twatting thing had to come off again because we had chosen the wrong packing material and there wasn't enough room to get the packing out with the ram in place. For those who don't know packing looks like square rope in a range of materials (copper, asbestos, kevlar, all sorts of plastics) used to seal rotating and reciprocating shafts and spindles held in place with gland followers. Once they are done and dusted they are very reliable and as long as everything is in good nick very steam/water/oil tight. They are, however, a complete pain in the gonads to work on.

The nuts are made funny so you can get a spanner on them and they also have conical seats to help lock them in place. There is also a cover goes on this so you can't see any of it.

This bronze casting was done by a foundry we know nothing about. It also came from that engineering hot house down under which is why it was a bit ropey. It's been off twice now to caulk up porosity in the casting. I'd rather start again but we don't have the pattern for it and for the pattern maker to do it will be iro 2 grand so maybe we'll persevere a little longer yet. On the upside the high performance, large bore ram we made for the water pump works splendidly and blows a lot more water into the boiler than the original size of ram. This will be much nicer for going up hills.

Another annoyance was the injector that we had. This was reassuringly large but it refused to work properly. A while back we acquired another Sentinel one but it had been buggered about with by someone who had no clue what they were doing. As we also do not know what we are doing with injectors it was sent to someone who makes them who remade a cone and a shuttle for a not exactly tiny amount of money. For various reasons we took the opportunity to relocate the injector to behind the front wing where they were (mostly) meant to be so you can watch the overflow while you are fiddling with the water valve. It had been under the footplate before (where some were mounted) but we got sick of not being able to see the overflow which meant you had to hope you set it right by ear.

The overflow pipe is not right and needs done again.

Moving the injector meant redoing all of the copper pipework. As luck would have it we discovered all of the heavy wall copper pipe that came with the S about 20 years ago and then we forgot about which was a shame because we bought more for both the S and this Super :roll: . Heavy wall copper pipe (10 swg so about 1/8thish) is lovely stuff to work with and you can pack them with sand and bend them freehand while another person heats them with the oxypropane torch. The sand stops it collapsing when you pull tighter bends.

Once everything is polished it looks lovely and super. It is certainly easier than working with light wall stuff and farting about with springs or that crazy shit metal that melted at about 80C and gave everyone cancer.

So hopefully when we put a fire in it this weekend (assuming it stops pissing down) we might get the chains back on and let it move under its own steam again.

What else has gone on. We got a new pedestal grinder from someone who had been given it but had no three phase power. Ex-technical college and I don't think it has ever been turned on let alone used. I'm certainly not going to moan for nowt.

And the Goddess has been moved back into the warm shed to keep it warm.

I was quite pleased with this for some stupid reason. In an effort to make some room we were tidying up. Part of that was getting cross with a pile of chain blocks that were just thrown on the racking. I got so annoyed I bothered my arse to make a load of brackets and made them all neat and tidy. I think it makes us look like we know what we are doing.

And why were we trying to make space? Well, there is supposed to be a new project arriving but we are struggling to get the various "stakeholders" to be available at the right time to get the bloody thing collected. Not steam this time but something reasonably butch and we haven't had one before. Until it arrives here is a picture of the space it will go in. Note tidy racking in background.

BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

Chain Blocks...

Had a fair amount of "fun" with those over the years, usually after I shut and locked the doors behind me to the area we kept radioactive sources in as I didn't want people to see 'quite' how I sorted out the fuck up they had made of the holders.......

Obviously I followed all the rules and regulations !!!
christine

Post by christine »

Sod putting on those wellies after someones been grinding !! Or are they used as spark arrestors?