What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Split_Pin

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Split_Pin »

The leather on the seat base I replaced was looking a bit dry and as I don't want to ever have to do that job again, I treated it with Gliptone Liquid leather. The great thing about doing any interior work on a convertible is that you have almost unlimited access by folding the roof down. I haven't done this since buying the car in 25th November. Looks great IMO.
Attachments
20240113_151059.jpg
20240113_151059.jpg (477.67 KiB) Viewed 559 times
20240113_151228.jpg
20240113_151228.jpg (516.73 KiB) Viewed 559 times
Alf892

Post by Alf892 »

Had a trip out to a mates. He took his Morris 8 van off the road for a two week paint…..four years ago

After finishing the paint back in the summer he couldn’t get it running so I went over to have a look. I forgot after I said I’d go in October then got involved with my Riley.
Checked the ingredients……..spark=tick…….fuel=tick……compression= fail!
Turned out it had valves stuck open on 2 and 3….. very luckily it’s a side valve so was able to help them shut via plug hole. After that the old girl fired straight up
Fruit Loupe

Post by Fruit Loupe »

Xtriple said:
"then tried to wriggle the battery out. It is a tight fit in its little cubby, but, I really couldn't get the sod out! I am just too weak! "

'tis a bastard as you get old. I had this trying to get a wheel back onto SWMBO C3, could not get the wheel to sit on the very narrow rim on the hub and even less to get it lined up to get a wheel bolt in. I had to get my mechanic out to do it. I now have a set of studs to provide location for getting the wheel on before putting the bolts in, but will still probably find my arms won't comply.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

This is showing up as £12.49 delivered with the 15% discount box ticked:

Mannol Energy 5W30 5L https://amzn.eu/d/9rZGzAM

Premium (I think low saps for DPF vehicles) also not much difference in price:

MANNOL Energy 5W30 C3 Fully Synthetic Engine Oil, 5 Litres https://amzn.eu/d/iuyiy9l

Not prime delivered but still ridiculously cheap. Good enough for most 90s/00s vehicles out there. 
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

I've just got 5 litres of that as it's suitable for 3 of my cars and is handy for that 6th litre of an oil change as well as top-ups. I think I paid about £11 free postage from ebay. Absolutely brilliant value.
BusmansHoliday

Post by BusmansHoliday »

Bought a 20L barrel of that for sod all a couple of months ago.
Working on the principle that a shagged old Matiz, a 56 plate Note and a 62 plate Ibiza will be grateful for any oil and filter change
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Well, I today was interesting(ish), to me if no one else. Thick frost outside so I went and started the Jag and left it running, defroster on full as the inside of the windscreen was covered in ice as well as the outside! When I'd actually got the windscreen clean and dry, set off and almost immediately, I received the (un)welcome message: 'Suspension Fault' and a yellow warning light!

Sod it!

In truth, it was always just a matter of time as the air suspension on these buggers are famous for faults. Weirdly, the suspension was fine! It never goes down even when left for a fortnight or more, most seem to droop after a day or so. As I was driving along I was nearly wiped out by some twat in a BIG van who couldn't see out of his windscreen which was just solid ice, he'd made no attempt to clear it before setting off and driving like an utter twat!

Once home again, I set to on the Merc: lugged the battery out to it and struggled. And then I struggled some more. Decided to take a bracket off completely (to give me more space/wriggle room) and struggled. Started with my small socket set, then went to the medium-sized socket set, then got the fuck off BIG socket set and a jack handle for brute force.

I did finally get the battery back in, clamped down, bracket back on, and all connected up, fired up first time (YAY!!!). However, then came the week long (or so it seems) wank of resetting everything, windows and roof were easy enough but the fucking clock... every time I have to get the manual out (there are 6 pages dedicated to just setting the clock!) and even then, it takes me two attempts to get the clock to do its little dance before finally getting to the correct time.

Buoyed by this success, I dragged the code reader (a dedicated Jaguar one no less) and read the codes for the suspension... 'Reservoir implausible' which, reading around seems to suggest the compressor is on its way out.
Bum holes! Oddly, I did clear the code and it didn't come back so, could the cold have frozen something that was needed, or, could having it sit outside idling with the heater and rear screen defrost on full have drained the battery enough to get a spurious message?

I do hope so...
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

What the hell is "Reservoir implausible'" meant to mean?
That it is unlikely to exist?!
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

It said something about 'Reservoir level (or pressure) implausible' which apparently means, that after it starts the pump it checks how long it takes for the pressure in the reserve tank to build up. If it is longer than 3 minutes then you get the fault message.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Reservoir implausible error is what it comes up with P2303.