What did you do today?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Split_Pin

Re: What did you do today?

Post by Split_Pin »

Cheers for the suggestions on ratchets chaps.

The issue wasn't actually the size of the ratchet, it's that I had to use a 1/4" stepdown for the small 10mm socket onto my 3/8" meaning that it could only just slip in between the alternator and the bolt.

The £13.99 set will be fine for the one time every other year I will use it. My cheapy Draper 1/2 set with 3/8 step-down has every size I need from 10mm to 32mm and that's normally what gets called upon for everything!
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

Saab duly Sorn'd today for 2 months payments, the £118 will come in handy.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Used the Merc again, sans roof. I did feel a bit of a tit to be honest as it was NOT sunny and the breeze was a tiny bit stiff... like a bloke walking his little fluffy dog was seriously worried about the dog being blown over the cliff edge, that sort of breeze!

I didn't really care as the car is great without the roof and the firm suspension etc fade into the background when you can listen to the exhaust (which for some reason sounds better than any other SLK) and feel a pillock. Even the dog sat in the passenger seat was hiding her head in shame.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I always used to run my MG with the roof down all year, it's rude not too when you've got the option.
Private signature, do not read
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Post by LynehamHerc »

Me too unless it was snowing heavily or in something like a thunderstorm.

People think you're nuts but they don't understand.
I am not Diesel
Location: Knocking one out to the free 10 minutes on Babestation.

Post by I am not Diesel »

I finally replaced the clutch master cylinder on my Defender. Enthusiasm level was zero but I was in work and had to do something. I have done a few before so it was pretty easy to do. The fluid in the old cylinder resembled used engine oil but it did well after about 3 years of constant topping up. I bled it myself with the bottle above the slave cylinder so the air is expelled upward through the fluid and there’s no need to close the bleed nipple until finished. I’m not 100% happy with the feel of the pedal so I will get some help with a bleed next week. Yesterday I changed the brake pads on the Connect as they were a MoT advisory.
Split_Pin

Post by Split_Pin »

The thermostat on the Audi is fixed, now gets up to 90 no bother.

However the one I took out certainly didn't look new. I've been charged for it though when it was in getting the belts done. It was only an extra 20 quid on the bill though so the garage are hardly likely to stiff me out of such a small sum on purpose, they're rammed 5 days a week. I reckon it was just a breakdown in communication . They did phone me 5 minutes after I left the car with them to check I wanted all the belts and the water pump doing which probably backs this up. The aux belt is definitely new anyway and doesn't squeak on cold start now.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

Not today but yesterday... I washed BOTH cars! Fucking nearly killed me and been in agony ever since. God alone knows why my body hates me so much, the useless fucking thing.

But, the cars look lovely and shiny sat outside in the rain...
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Not today but last night.
Out at the takeaway and two hours in the linkage let's go on the van. Could only get 3rd and 4th which wouldn't make for happy motoring. My fault as I'd ordered new gear linkages when the clutch was done as we had to bodge the old linkages together with silicone sealant and just didn't fit them yet. Which meant I asked the takeaway owner if he had a spare car I could use.
The 2009 Peugeot 207 was out for the count with a knackered gearbox and that left only 1 spare car that no one wants to use so is a spare car essentially. I thought it can't be that bad so I'll use it.
63 plate fiat qubo 1.3 multijet with 120k on the clocks,dent on bonnet and bodywork looks like death. It had an oil leak that would embarrass the Exxon Valdez,a monumental engine rattle and the oil light came on with an insufficient oil pressure warning at anything below 1300 rpm. Driving it wasn't too bad to drive except the ignition sometimes wouldn't engage the starter and it had no power. I mean no power in the respect that the slightest incline was a 3rd gear foot to the floor situation and struggling to maintain 30mph. I used it for about an hour when he said a driver had gone home and another car had come up available. Do I want it? Yes I decking do. Can't be much worse can it?
2006 nissan note 1.4 petrol with 130k on clock. Braking made the car pull slightly and had a smell of petrol at 40mph. Apart from that it drove alright. The seating position was an acquired taste. The seat base was on the floor,wouldn't lift nor would it go forward or back. The backrest also didn't feel attached. Felt seasick going around islands when the back rest rocked side to side.
I'll not be in a rush to borrow a car anymore.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

They sound wonderful vehicles
Private signature, do not read