Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI & 2004 BMW Z4 2.2

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
AutoshiteBoy

Re: Sics Consolidated Moderns Thread - 2003 Mercedes-Benz E320 Estate

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

SiC wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 1:37 pm The DVSA also actually do market enforcement of them too:
https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... -labelling
Wet grip performance
Of the 20 different tyres tested for wet grip performance, 9 tyres performed at a lower rating than rated on the tyre label.

Fuel efficiency performance
Of the 20 different tyres tested for fuel efficiency performance, 1 tyre performed at a lower rating rated on the tyre label. 4 tyres performed better than rated on the tyre label.

Noise levels
Of the 20 tyres tested for their noise levels, 4 were found to be louder than the value declared by the manufacturer. One tyre performed better than rated on the tyre label.

None of the tyres failed to meet all 3 declared values on the label, but 3 tyres failed to meet 2 of the values specified on the tyre labels.

Next steps
We will follow up these results with the tyre manufacturers to ensure that the tyre labelling is accurate.

We’ll continue this work into 2024. We will test different sizes and brands of tyres against the tyre label parameters to check for their accuracy.
This is new then. When the tyre labels came out I wrote an article for CM in conjunction with some tyres association regarding the misleading aspect of the labelling and the fact it was just extra admin for the manufacturers and suppliers in which the reputable brands were doing themselves a disservice.
panhard65

Post by panhard65 »

Nankang are fine and most new budget tyres will do the job. Yeah not perfect but the chances of the customer ever driving them close to the limit are tiny. My other half has got an 807 Peugeot, this thing eats tyres. Over the 10 years she has had it we have tried everything from Michellin to budget. Yes the more expensive ones grip better but she never really noticed. What was noticeable was the tyre life Avons were shockingly bad and were worn out in half the miles the mid range budget brands were doing. If you aren't going to do a lot of miles Avons seem good value for a decent tyre but if you expect to keep the car long term and do more than 10k on the tyres then they are best avoided.
1939 Hotchkiss 864
1966 Rover P5 (for sale)
1971 Lancia Fulvia Berlinetta (also for sale)
1977 Dodge 3700GT Hearse
1987 Renault 25 V6 Turbo
2010 Skoda Felica tdi
2013 Peugeot RCZ
2021 Yadea C1S Gay leccy scooter
NergleFuttocks
Globalist Imperialist Pig Dog!

Post by NergleFuttocks »

The rears are a different size to the fronts on my E-wagon. It is the model after yours though.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

The michelins on my van are probably the best tyres I've ever had. Every vam I've ever had needs new ones in less than 10k. These are well over that and only half (if that) worn. Bought for £120 a pair new on ebay. Will be buying them again at full price when they are shagged. Well worth the extra.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

AutoshiteBoy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:58 pm For mid-range tyres I don't think you can beat Avons.
Avons are much better than their midrange price suggests on bikes, so I'd go with them too & hope the car tyres are the same.
Private signature, do not read
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Not staggered wheels on this so I don't need to worry about that at least.

I'm a big Michelin fan but at £165 each that's a firm no.

Avon I CBA to wait till next year for them to be fitted. I would like to use this over the Xmas period and do longer distance travelling in it.

I've spent a bit much this month so I'm waiting for my credit card statement to come through before I order. But it'll likely be Kumho. The cheap ditchfinders are E to G rated while at least the Kumho (and Nankang) are C for economy and A for wet weather.

Given the softly sprung suspension, soft wide seats that we both tend to slide on and barge like cornering, I certainly don't chuck it about like my other cars. So I think the midrange tyres are more than enough for what I need rather than premiums.

Also, while at the moment it's a keeper, I'll probably only have it for a year at most before I get bored and find something else...
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Michelin Energy Saver are wank. The sidewalls are weak as pish and therefore you end up replacing them before the treads ever wear out. Drive well when new, but will only go the distance on billiard smooth roads. Which of course don't exist.

Continental Eco Contact were much better. Vredestein Quatrac wearing well.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Energy Saver + only come in sizes for smaller and economy cars. It's the Primacy range that are for the larger cars. Also a range that is a reasonable chunk more expensive.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

SiC wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 10:51 am the Primacy range
That why I put the qualifier in. Are Primacy any more robust given the state of the roads?

Also ES+ are fucking expensive per unit and given their fragility then very fucking expensive.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Dunno as quality can vary over time. However it's currently got Primacy on there now. Fronts date coded 2017, rears date coded 2016. 2016 till now the rears have done 20k, 2017 till now they have done 15k. Still have tread on them, just the front sidewalls have perished and the rear treads are starting to perish. I suspect they could well have had tyre shine black gloop on them over the years and that doesn't help sidewalls rubber from lasting ime. Also at that age they'll be going hard and cracking up from simply age given they're 6 to 7 years old.

So yeah I think they've done alright.