Sics Consolidated Faded Moderns Thread - 2006 Golf Mk5 GTI & 2004 BMW Z4 2.2

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
AutoshiteBoy

Re: Sics Consolidated Moderns Thread - 2003 Mercedes-Benz E320 Estate

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

The coating on other, less prestigious manufacturers, is a thick plastic sleeve.

How manufactures get away with not sealing brake pipes to stop this is beyond me as its safety critical, but it's highly unlikely to bother the first or second owners. Hence the lack of protection.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Thermostat attempt two. This time a genuine. 
Broken one didn't look visibly faulty.
New one went in straightforwardly. 
Ran up to temperature
I was worried that the 100c marker on the last thermostat was it getting too hot. Noticed this one does it too. However the 100c marker is actually 93c. So not as hot as I thought.
The last thermostat definitely was flaky as it would drop below 80c on a run. That is around 77c actual.
Playing around with the scantool I found that it can do a bit more than I realised on the SBC. Looks like a full bleed is an option. I still won't be doing it. Too many other car related jobs (like welding the Midget) that I need to get on with. Much rather do that than rolling around on my back under this, while trying to thread brake pipes through.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

Handling the two thermostats, did there look or feel to be a difference in quality? Or do you think they were either of identical quality, or both from the same manufacturer but just in different boxes?
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

AutoshiteBoy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:34 am Handling the two thermostats, did there look or feel to be a difference in quality? Or do you think they were either of identical quality, or both from the same manufacturer but just in different boxes?
Definitely a clone as there is no part names or numbers on the castings with no evidence of them being scrubbed before or after casting. Honestly they feel identical. Weight the same, metal thicknesses the same and even the spring strength feels the same when you push down.

I'd be interested to know what causes this to fail. I'd have thought the spring going weak on old thermostats. But I'd be surprised with it this new. Presumably getting a spring compression consistent over the life of the thermostat is quite difficult problem?
Wax capsule I'd thought is intact otherwise it'd get too hot rather than too cold?

Must be the spring that goes weak after a number of actuations as I can't think of anything else. The wax capsule should be easy enough to seal and stay sealed. If it leaks it'll leak all out pretty quickly.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

Have you not sent Mrs SiC to the shops so you can do the "boil in the pan" test? :lol:
DodgeRover

Post by DodgeRover »

My guess would be the metallurgy used in the springs is different giving different tensions for the same temperature range, it's going to be quite specific - or possibly an issue with the recipe of the wax.
AutoshiteBoy

Post by AutoshiteBoy »

SiC wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:42 am
AutoshiteBoy wrote: Sat Dec 16, 2023 11:34 am Handling the two thermostats, did there look or feel to be a difference in quality? Or do you think they were either of identical quality, or both from the same manufacturer but just in different boxes?
Definitely a clone as there is no part names or numbers on the castings with no evidence of them being scrubbed before or after casting. Honestly they feel identical. Weight the same, metal thicknesses the same and even the spring strength feels the same when you push down.

I'd be interested to know what causes this to fail. I'd have thought the spring going weak on old thermostats. But I'd be surprised with it this new. Presumably getting a spring compression consistent over the life of the thermostat is quite difficult problem?
Wax capsule I'd thought is intact otherwise it'd get too hot rather than too cold?

Must be the spring that goes weak after a number of actuations as I can't think of anything else. The wax capsule should be easy enough to seal and stay sealed. If it leaks it'll leak all out pretty quickly.
Thats even more intriguing. And yes, I've kissed a girl.
SiC
It's S small i C

Post by SiC »

Tyres are ludicrously expensive for this considering they're only 225/55/16. Can't decide which to go for.

- Accelera and Tomket are the budget options at about £73 each. (Blackcircles)

- Sumitomo (I believe they make Fallen) is the slightly above budget at £84 (Protyre and ATS). Nankang are similar price.

- Avon and Kumho (I used to like Kumho but find them noisy) are the mid range at £95 and £85 respectively. (Asda and RAC tyres)

- The rest are a bit too expensive: Uniroyal is £115, Dunlop is £130 and Conti/Michelin are £140+

I'd like to keep it under £100 per tyre really. I bought the TT 18inch Uniroyal for less than that per tyre. Hot favourite is possibly the Avon. However I will possibly have to wait till after Xmas before anywhere near me can fit them. 

Or I could go cheapy Accelera or Tomket which is significantly cheaper than the others. But not sure if I'll regret that decision? At least they're names I kind of recognise rather than some of the other cheapy brands out there. It's not a sports car but it's still a 210bhp RWD vehicle.

Decisions decisions. I would like to get something put on before Xmas, ready for Xmas. So need to decide by Monday at the latest. 
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

Mine was fitted with fairly new Davanti tyres when I got it. They have been surprisingly good.
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)
AMCrebel
Officially Not Quite Totally Useless

Post by AMCrebel »

Just had a look - mine are 225 55 16 so not the exact same size. I
2005 Land Rover Discovery SE Manual
2003 Mercedes E320 Estate
1968 AMC Rebel SST Convertible
1967 AMC Rebel SST Convertible (for parts)
1994 Fleetwood Colchester 1850 EB

Hoping for roffle win :)