Any HDI fondlers provide help?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Re: Any HDI fondlers provide help?

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

bub2006 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:24 am I can drive From mine to derby in the van and barely gets over 70 on guage. Never gets to halfway either.
Do they do summer and winter stats? Having the heater on flat out is very effective at keeping temps down as it's a small radiator after all (with high air flow). I know when taking XUD's out on track sweating your cobs off with the heater on flat out helps keep temps down so you can stay out and do more laps.

If it's running hotter that might make a difference?

How about going old skool Land Rover to test it and block half the rad off with a piece of cardboard, then monitor?
bub2006
Tenth Dan Tetris Gnu

Post by bub2006 »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:09 pm
bub2006 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 8:24 am I can drive From mine to derby in the van and barely gets over 70 on guage. Never gets to halfway either.
Do they do summer and winter stats? Having the heater on flat out is very effective at keeping temps down as it's a small radiator after all (with high air flow). I know when taking XUD's out on track sweating your cobs off with the heater on flat out helps keep temps down so you can stay out and do more laps.

How about going old skool Land Rover to test it and block half the rad off with a piece of cardboard, then monitor?
Radiator isnt small in this,unsure on different stats either as only one usually advertised. It drops cold when the heater blower is on and it's ticking over,when driving it maintains temperature but takes its time to warm up. Have considered blocking off rad but it's hard to get to the front of rad because of slam panel and there's 2 grilles on the outside,one between lights and also an air flow intake below number plate on lower half of bumper. It had a new rad recently fitted due to a leak.
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:09 pm

XUD's create a lot more heat in the head, because IDI and pre combustion chamber. DI's don't run as hot.
The main reason Darren Lobb went away from them and did what he did was the excess heat and, not being able to get rid of it.

Thread drift FAO Scruffy, did you see he has revived his channel and built a new workshop with 4WD Dyno? Worth a look. Hopefully see some numbers out of the green machine.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Arthur Foxhake wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 5:36 pm
XUD's create a lot more heat in the head, because IDI and pre combustion chamber. DI's don't run as hot.
The main reason Darren Lobb went away from them and did what he did was the excess heat and, not being able to get rid of it.

Thread drift FAO Scruffy, did you see he has revived his channel and built a new workshop with 4WD Dyno? Worth a look. Hopefully see some numbers out of the green machine.
Having the blowers on flat out will surely make a difference still tho?

Not seen his channel in years, might have to have a look, ta. Maybe a road trip down there with Tom is in order as I've never visited?
Arthur Foxhake

Post by Arthur Foxhake »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:05 pm

Yeah, it'll definitely help. I always do it if I'm in fear of overheating, especially if there's a known leak. When the blower goes cold, pull over and top the fucker up!
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Arthur Foxhake wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:07 pm
Scruffy Bodger wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:05 pm

Yeah, it'll definitely help. I always do it if I'm in fear of overheating, especially if there's a known leak. When the blower goes cold, pull over and top the fucker up!
Part of the reason I tended to go for 405's was they all seem to have a low water level sensor. Much more sense than the 205 I had with only the you're engine is now fucked light as it didn't even have a temp gauge. :roll:
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

https://www.berlingoforum.com/thread-21755.html

Sounds like it's indicating a stuck/sticking stat Bub if it's taking an age to warm up? Stat should be 83 C from what I can see?
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

Some of those 90s cars were problematic because of how low the radiators were as much as their size, made cars prone to HGF if they even lost a little coolant. Difficult to 'burp' some of them in my limited experience too.
Those low bonnet designs were as much a product of styling as a desire for low drag coefficients I guess.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

Nibblet wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:30 pm Some of those 90s cars were problematic because of how low the radiators were as much as their size, made cars prone to HGF if they even lost a little coolant. Difficult to 'burp' some of them in my limited experience too.
Those low bonnet designs were as much a product of styling as a desire for low drag coefficients I guess.
405's suffer exactly that, hence the "pop bottle trick" to raise the water level up as the filler is in the rad itself. It even shows a special* tool in the Haynes that's basically a bottle with the bottom cut off.
205's, 306's all suffer the same issue as the fill point is too low. From what I remember Citroen had a better solution in their models and better bleed points so it wasn't as much of an issue even with the same engines used.

Being as they aren't all alloy cooking them finished a lot of them off, same as Land Rovers with no water level light. The first you know about it is when it's too late.
Eddie Honda
Rainman The Google Fu Master

Post by Eddie Honda »

It's not really a "trick" though is it?

It's called doing the job properly as recommended by the manufacturer.