Two wheels good.

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Re: Two wheels good.

Post by paulplom »

Can't remember if I've asked but are there any recommendations for a bike lift? Apparently these vespas are very rot prone underneath and I'd like to protect it.
Barry Cade

Post by Barry Cade »

paulplom wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 2:54 pm Can't remember if I've asked but are there any recommendations for a bike lift? Apparently these vespas are very rot prone underneath and I'd like to protect it.
Motocross tables or lifts work on them if they have the 2 frame rails underneath, they're not expensive. Even better and cheaper is a beer crate!
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

It's heavy as fuck. How would I lift it onto a beer crate? It's where the centre stand is where they rot inside and out. From what I've seen there are no frame rails it just looks like pressed steel.
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

Warren t claim wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:41 pm
Nibblet wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 11:42 am
Eddie Honda wrote: Sun Nov 26, 2023 1:30 am In what category are you wondering then?
Wants would be...not too massive and heavy, ABS, maneuverable, decent quality, relatively upright riding position, not some ultra rare thing that costs a fortune to have fixed. Doesn't make me look too much like a cunt.
Dullville? Why is ABS so crucial?
I'm an extremely dull man, quite old too. Would you want to drive a car without ABS now? Maybe for short periods, as in a classic car but for longer journeys in poor conditions? Having said that, if you learn to ride properly, perhaps not. I suspect there are a considerable number of old farts about who aren't really capable of riding a bike. I've already clocked a few about, stiffly nudging their way around corners whilst labouring their engines!
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

I fancy buying a Triumph, having sat on a couple and found that they meet my comfort requirements. Both the Bonneville and Speed Triple seemed adequate to me. My old man had a couple of Speed Twins, so I will be carrying on a familial tradition.
'Ever since the young men have owned motorcycles, incest has been dying out, and so has sodomy'.

'Much of the social history of the Western world over the past three decades has involved replacing what worked with what sounded good."
Thomas Sowell
Whatever
FLID!

Post by Whatever »

paulplom wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:43 pm It's heavy as fuck. How would I lift it onto a beer crate? It's where the centre stand is where they rot inside and out. From what I've seen there are no frame rails it just looks like pressed steel.
Scooters are pain to work underneath, i bungee the front brake on and turn the bars to right lock and lay it over to left and see how low you can lay it over before the leg shield s or something gonna touch the floor and find a stand that height with a pile of rags on top for the handle bar to lay on , if you got a back rack or something else solid on the back , wedge something else under the back with a pile of rags on . Stand it up and do the other side .
paulplom
The Geordie Lord, Mario!

Post by paulplom »

Cheers. That's what I couldn't get my head around. Would I be able to put it on the centre stand on this and raise it up?
Attachments
Screenshot_20231127_203455_Amazon Shopping.jpg
Screenshot_20231127_203455_Amazon Shopping.jpg (203.95 KiB) Viewed 885 times
Nibblet

Post by Nibblet »

I have a couple of those scissor lifts, virtually identical to that. I was using them to lift a Saab I was working on, I could get one side up far enough to then sit cross-legged and comfortably work on a sill or changing a wheel bearing etc. I think they are rated at 500kg each so easily lift a bike.

Thomas Sowell
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

paulplom wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 8:35 pm Cheers. That's what I couldn't get my head around. Would I be able to put it on the centre stand on this and raise it up?
Unless you get a wheel on too it'd probably topple off.
Private signature, do not read
Barry Cade

Post by Barry Cade »

paulplom wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:43 pm It's heavy as fuck. How would I lift it onto a beer crate? It's where the centre stand is where they rot inside and out. From what I've seen there are no frame rails it just looks like pressed steel.
Pressed steel is ok, Stand off the bike , pull the back brake, lift the front up with the bars, from behind, kick beer crate underneath and drop down.. easier to do than explain.