Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
LynehamHerc
Boomer, gammon, senile old fart and Eurosmasher!

Re: Stupid questions about motorised conveyances

Post by LynehamHerc »

Scruffy Bodger wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:42 pm
Jerzy Woking wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:21 pm I just want a car for a bit of fun, the Doblo has every box ticked I want, but its no fun.

Was thinking Caterham, but now I am going to have to check out the Elise too.

There is a car show that opened here today and goes on until Sunday, and lots of second hand cars there for sale as well as all the new stuff.
The Elise is going nowhere but up in value I reckon if you can find a nice one. You'll have to pay the money to get one but I can't really see you losing on it.

I love anything Sevenesque but they are ubiquitous.
That seems to be a pretty constant theme in the articles I read as well.
Nothing is going to replace it, especially with all the regs nowadays never mind the ending of ICE production.
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

panhard65 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:01 pm There is only one car to buy when in Spain looking for reliable and fun. https://www.milanuncios.com/venta-de-co ... 889595.htm
Well maybe not that fun as they drink fuel and struggle to pull themselves along at motorway speeds.
That's 600 miles from me (same distance as Dover to Inverness). So that one is not for me.

There are quite a few older American cars here, mainly owned by Scandinavians.
Scruffy Bodger
TeeShirtFun

Post by Scruffy Bodger »

LynehamHerc wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 5:02 pm
Scruffy Bodger wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:42 pm
Jerzy Woking wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 4:21 pm I just want a car for a bit of fun, the Doblo has every box ticked I want, but its no fun.

Was thinking Caterham, but now I am going to have to check out the Elise too.

There is a car show that opened here today and goes on until Sunday, and lots of second hand cars there for sale as well as all the new stuff.
The Elise is going nowhere but up in value I reckon if you can find a nice one. You'll have to pay the money to get one but I can't really see you losing on it.

I love anything Sevenesque but they are ubiquitous.
That seems to be a pretty constant theme in the articles I read as well.
Nothing is going to replace it, especially with all the regs nowadays never mind the ending of ICE production.
I'm not going off articles tbh but what you say is true, there's nothing to replace it. 7's are too hardcore for most and the Elise was a revelation when it came out. Lightweight like a Lotus should be, breaking new ground when it came to chassis design and a pure driving experience. It also looked the part, saying that, who wouldn't want a full blown Exige?!

That and the Civic Type R Ep3 of that era will always stand out imo.
Drum
Not Your Average Hoarder

Post by Drum »

SubPar wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:13 am Folk with experience of carbs, points, etc. I have need of your help.

I've been helping with a series Land Rover. It has an erratic misfire on tickover (erratic as in not on every revolution of the engine), plus it backfires through the carb under load on more than about half throttle.
It's running on E5 with no other additives (head is unleaded compatible).

What needs adjustment? We've already retarded the timing a bit to get it to this point, and it was running nicely for a while before doing this.

It also won't stay in high range, but that may be due to it having no floor at the moment, so it's lacking various springs etc on those levers...
Is this your dad's series one and does it drop into the neutral between high and low range?

I haven't had an S1 but assuming the transfer box is the same as S2's it would be worth taking the tin hats off the front of the casing and checking for corrosion on the selector shaft.
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

Drum wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:08 pm
SubPar wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 8:13 am Folk with experience of carbs, points, etc. I have need of your help.

I've been helping with a series Land Rover. It has an erratic misfire on tickover (erratic as in not on every revolution of the engine), plus it backfires through the carb under load on more than about half throttle.
It's running on E5 with no other additives (head is unleaded compatible).

What needs adjustment? We've already retarded the timing a bit to get it to this point, and it was running nicely for a while before doing this.

It also won't stay in high range, but that may be due to it having no floor at the moment, so it's lacking various springs etc on those levers...
Is this your dad's series one and does it drop into the neutral between high and low range?

I haven't had an S1 but assuming the transfer box is the same as S2's it would be worth taking the tin hats off the front of the casing and checking for corrosion on the selector shaft.

Yes, it is!

We took it out for a drive around on Thursday. It's still just a chassis and drivetrain with an office chair g clamped onto the chassis rail, great fun!

I was pushing the range selector as far forwards as it would go, and slowly engaging the clutch in first gear while applying pressure to the lever. 9 times out of 10 it was just making lovely gears-not-meshing noises. I managed to get it into first high for about 5 feet before it jumped back into neutral.

Pootling about in low range was fun, but not very productive.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

My S3 did that the other way. Wouldn't go into low or 4wd (I forget which), it was rusty selector shafts as suggested.

I stopped using the freewheeling hubs so the front prop was turning, which has an oil thrower inside the transfer box and the problem never came back.
Private signature, do not read
SubPar

Post by SubPar »

This thing is old enough it doesn't even have freewheeling hubs on the front.

Might give it a hard staring at today sometime.
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

I'm not sure any did as standard?
I mentioned them because being stood for ages could cause rust because of no lubrication on those shafts the same as running with hubs disengaged.
Private signature, do not read
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

What is the best way to dry out a seriously wet interior? After the windows on the SLK shat themselves, the car just steams up overnight and the windscreen is sopping wet every day. De-humidifiers (bags) are doing nothing!
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

See if you can hire a proper powered dehumidifier....I had the side window out of the T25 during a bastard monsoon a couple of "summers" ago. 48 hours of constant emptying the tank on the dehumidifier got it pretty dry....
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......