?

Talk about your cars etc here. Keep it sort of sensible and on topic please.
Jerzy Woking

Re: ?

Post by Jerzy Woking »

Hooli wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:09 pm Aye HDs aren't about power, the torque makes them quicker than expected but they aren't fast bikes. They've got a vintage feel though, like you're riding a real machine which is the draw.
I had a 1200cc Sportster that had been modded (by its original owner) and produced over 100 bhp, twice the standard power.

It was so fast from standstill, surprised me. Then scared me to death as the single disc front brake had a job stopping it.

Only sold it because the riding position was so uncomfortable, plus I had scratched the HD itch.
FhakeConcern
Cycle Cunt

Post by FhakeConcern »

mercrocker wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:06 pm ES2 maybe....
Just looked that up & could be, I did see a photo of it once and it looked like that, but all 40s/50s bikes look the same to me haha
Hooli
Self Appointed Internet God

Post by Hooli »

Jerzy Woking wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:38 pm
Hooli wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:09 pm Aye HDs aren't about power, the torque makes them quicker than expected but they aren't fast bikes. They've got a vintage feel though, like you're riding a real machine which is the draw.
I had a 1200cc Sportster that had been modded (by its original owner) and produced over 100 bhp, twice the standard power.

It was so fast from standstill, surprised me. Then scared me to death as the single disc front brake had a job stopping it.

Only sold it because the riding position was so uncomfortable, plus I had scratched the HD itch.
I'm surprised how well mine stops with a single disc, pads don't last long though.
Private signature, do not read
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

The hardest/most lethal bike I've ever had to start was my 465 IT Yamaha! Yes, a 2 stroke but notorious for breaking ankles or, shredding the gears in the gearbox. Mine did the gearbox on the day it 'kicked back' but I always put proper MX boots on (with a steel insert in the sole!) to try and save my ankles. It was a proper bastard.

Out on the lanes one day on a 'vintage run', I was using my XT500 and we stopped for a break (old bikes are fucking tiring on the lanes, new stuff is/was dead easy by comparison though not a lot faster) and when I tried to start it, it kicked back and launched my right boot about 50 yards towards the bridge! A mate had to go and fetch it for me!

I LOVE singles.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

My Bonnie kicked back when the wanky shit Boyer Breakdown ignition was on it. They default to full advance at low voltages & running it batteryless made that an issue starting. I once ended up stood on the seat as it threw me straight back up when I didn't kick it hard enough.
xtriple
Paranoid Dog Parent

Post by xtriple »

My Bonnie had BB ignition and a Powerbox (though it did have a small battery) and I never had a moments trouble with it. Setting it up on the centre stand, 4000 rpm and one plug earthed was... challenging though!
Jerzy Woking

Post by Jerzy Woking »

I had an XT500, absolute bastard to start when even remotely warm. My mates called it the jack hammer, as through the practically non existent silencer, it sounded like one.

My Himalayan is three times the bike the XT500 is (to ride), but bet it won't have tye same cult following the XT does in 45 years.
Hooli

Post by Hooli »

xtriple wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:17 pm My Bonnie had BB ignition and a Powerbox (though it did have a small battery) and I never had a moments trouble with it. Setting it up on the centre stand, 4000 rpm and one plug earthed was... challenging though!
Mine had a powerbox too. Once I added a small battery it behaved, for about 2k miles till the ignition failed yet again. I upgraded to points to get a more reliable better running bike.
cros
The Elastrator

Post by cros »

view.jpg
view.jpg (94.96 KiB) Viewed 12152 times
16000 quid for the 1 cylinder Patak Rodster? Outrageous.
mercrocker
Numb3rP14t3Fun

Post by mercrocker »

Are those MG Midget doors? (Standard crap kit-car question)

Not so long ago one could have bought a real Amilcar for that money.
There's a great long bar in Rock & Roll heaven.......